Find
Notify
Tools

South Africa Safari
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Ladies and Gentlemen,

I will be leaving for South Africa in about a month. I will be flying into Johannesburg and leaving from there also. I will be flying to Johannesburg and back via Delta. From Johannesburg to East London and back. Is there any new regulations, laws or "quirks" that I need to know about? I am familiar with what was in effect up until three years ago. I have seen posts here where there is a lot of theft at the Johannesburg Airport. Are there additional measures that are being done to minimize the risk?

Muchas gracias,
Hoot

Posts: 791 | Location: La Luz, New Mexico USA | Registered: 08 March 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of ozhunter
posted Hide Post
Take less shit.

Posts: 5886 | Location: Sydney,Australia  | Registered: 03 July 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I would pack my binoculars and camera in my carry on and at least be wearing my first days hunting clothes and boots. I would leave all the stuff we tend to carry on hunts here (rangefinders, etc) in the states.
It is amazing how little you can get by with- I took way too much stuff on my first trip, and all I had was a rifle case, a carry on, and a rolling duffle.
Do a search on here for some of the permit services that are available for your rifle- some are definitely better than others. They should be able to take care of any legal items with your rifles.

One of Us
Picture of Use Enough Gun
posted Hide Post
I suppose that you are flying SAA into East London. Make sure that the East London Airport still has the ability to accept checking firearms. Not long ago SAA announced that it was only offering that service at selected in-country airports like Durban, Phalaborwa, Kimberley, etc. We used to fly into Richards Bay to hunt KWZN, but now you are required to fly into Durban, as the Richards Bay airport is no longer set up to handle firearms anymore. I would make sure that the East London is set up to check your rifles in and out.

one of us
Picture of Wendell Reich
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ozhunter:
Take less shit.

animal

Funny but true.

Posts: 6265 | Location: Dallas, TX | Registered: 13 July 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
UEG, when did you last fly into Richards Bay?

Posts: 5338 | Location: Bedford, Pa. USA | Registered: 23 February 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Shring wrap your bags upon departure from the USA. Locks won't stop the thieves. Carry on ALL valuables. Get baggage insurance.

Russ Gould - Whitworth Arms LLC
BigfiveHQ.com, Large Calibers and African Safaris
Doublegunhq.com, Fine English, American and German Double Rifles and Shotguns
VH2Q.com, Varmint Rifles and Gear

Posts: 2932 | Location: Texas | Registered: 07 June 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Thanks guys,

How are the Delta Airlines planes that they fly to Africa, are they pretty cramped? Is the overhead storage adequate for a regulation carry on? How is the service? The last time I went to Africa, I was on a SAA 747. It was not too bad, however the seat cushions had become flat and hard after many years of service.

Would any of you know of a source for really good TSA type padlocks? The ones that I have seen look like you could just jerk on the body and the lock would come apart.

Again my thanks,
Hoot

Posts: 791 | Location: La Luz, New Mexico USA | Registered: 08 March 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
UEG, no problem with guns into Richards Bay, as I am going there in Aug I checked with my PH and he contacted SAA to see if any recent changes and they said no. I took guns thru RB last Oct with no problems.

Posts: 5338 | Location: Bedford, Pa. USA | Registered: 23 February 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of retreever
posted Hide Post
Hoot,

With the TSA locks they are prying open zipper bags... But here is some bigger locks..
Have a great hunt...

http://www.safeskieslocks.com/store/

Mike

Michael Podwika... DRSS bigbores and hunting www.pvt.co.za " MAKE THE SHOT " 450#2 Famars

Posts: 6768 | Location: Wyoming, Pa. USA | Registered: 17 April 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I was a victim of theft April 2008 in Johannesburg Airport. They just broke the zipper on my canvas bag. They stole 1/2 my ammo, meds, candy and some clothes....lost my favorite leatherman too. Get tuff packs. Tuff pack makes a smaller version that is ideal for clothing and support equipment.

They would need power tools to get into tuff pack.No chance cutting the locks.

Posts: 405 | Location: Dallas, Pennsylvania | Registered: 16 January 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Take less shit.

All kidding aside, he is correct....I now travel with everything in my "legal" sized backpack and the rest goes in my gun case...You really don't need nearly as much as you think you might....Bug dope, sun screen, toothpase, razors, etc can all be bought at the very nicely stocked pharamacy at the J-berg airport.

Leave the dinner jackets, Crocodile loafers and the family photo album home! thumb

Have a great hunt!!!

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I found this great website http://www.africahunting.com, where you can find lots of great advice about all aspects of African hunting safaris, and a cool shot placement guide, check it out: http://www.africahunting.com/m...e=viewarticle&id=151

one of us
posted Hide Post
Thanks guys I appreciate your input. I am ordering a couple of locks from the site that retreever gave me.