New
Find
Notify
Tools

unusual trophies
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
what are some unusual trophies/mounts you guys have from africa? Or heard about?

" Knowledge without experience is just information. "

- Mark Twain

Posts: 141 | Location: santa maria, ca | Registered: 25 January 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of silkibex
posted Hide Post

Giraffe scrotum bag

Posts: 210 | Location: Central Asia/SE Asia | Registered: 02 March 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I've read that the heart of a buffalo contains some sort of small bone that contributes to the toughness of the organ and the animal, and that can make a unique trophy. I only wish that I knew that before my buffalo hunt.

Posts: 1028 | Location: Manitoba, Canada | Registered: 01 December 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of larrys01
posted Hide Post
quote:
I've read that the heart of a buffalo contains some sort of small bone that contributes to the toughness of the organ and the animal, and that can make a unique trophy. I only wish that I knew that before my buffalo hunt.

This is true. I've also understand the Elephant Heart has it also?

Posts: 1525 | Location: Iowa | Registered: 08 August 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of ivan carter
posted Hide Post
buffalo have it , its more like a strong cartilage between the two huge tubes in the top of the heart - elephants dont have it ..

"The greatest threat to our wildlife is the thought that someone else will save it”

www.facebook.com/ivancartersafrica

www.ivancarterwca.org
www.ivancarter.com
ivan@ivancarter.com

Posts: 1201 | Location: South Africa  | Registered: 04 March 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of larrys01
posted Hide Post
quote:
elephants dont have it

Where I heard that they do was from two senior ex-poachers in Tanzania. I remember hearing something about Lions having some kind of heart bone also, but I only know about Buffalo.

Posts: 1525 | Location: Iowa | Registered: 08 August 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I recall hearing something about a heart bone, but don't recall ever seeing one. If anyone has a photo, feel free to post it. I would think it would be very small. I do have a few sets of leopard floating collar bones, and a set of lion floating bones, but they are not all that rare or unusual. I had them made into jewelry for my wife; they are not in the trophy room.

Posts: 1357 | Location: Texas | Registered: 17 August 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I don't, but wish I did have it: "The Judge" - a buff cow skull mounted on the wall of Robins Camp tourist office in Wankie. Skinny, yet spectacular down sweeping horns, one of a kind.

Cheers.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have seen mounts in trophy rooms in Africa that you don't normally see here in the states. Examples would be - Zorilla (African skunk), Aardvarks and Aardwolfs, Bat Eared Fox, Striped Weasel, Brown Hyena, Black Rhino, Cheetah, Pangolin, Golden Cats, African Clawless Cape Otter, Water Chevotrain, Mandrin Baboon, Black Leopards, Zebra Duiker and Black Duiker, Bushbabies, Tree Hyrax, Hornbills, Lilac Rollers. Somes of these it is hard or impossible at this time to get a CITIES on. I have seen some of these here in the US, but not many!

Posts: 1357 | Location: Texas | Registered: 17 August 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Sevens
posted Hide Post
I once asked the guys from Miller's Trophy Room what the most interesting mount they had seen in a trophy room was ... bushman. I think I'll pass on one of those.

If you died tomorrow, what would you have done today ...

2018 Zimbabwe - Tuskless w/ Nengasha Safaris
2011 Mozambique - Buffalo w/ Mashambanzou Safaris

Posts: 2789 | Location: Dallas, TX | Registered: 27 January 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Nakihunter
posted Hide Post
Interesting thread...I wonder what will turn up.

I have the neck hackle feathers of the Indian Grey Jungle fowl which is spectacular.

I used to have a Giant Malabar squirrel skin 40" from nose to tail - the worlds biggest squirrel.

I have seen mounted giant flying squirrels - just a bit smaller than above.

The rarest is this http://www.huia.net.nz/about/ - a pair of Huia which are extinct. Unusual in that the male & female have very different beaks. A lawyer friend of mine who is now about 75 has a great story - he had saved about 20 GBP in the 1940s to buy a bicycle. But his dad forced to buy this pair of stuffed birds in a display case! What an investment!

"When the wind stops....start rowing. When the wind starts, get the sail up quick."

Posts: 11253 | Location: New Zealand | Registered: 02 July 2008Reply With Quote