New
Find
Notify
Tools

Tick bite fever
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
What would happen if tick bite fever went untreated ?

Paul K

Take Trophies - Leave Brass

Posts: 741 | Location: Ohio | Registered: 22 January 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of BNagel
posted Hide Post
Some of the locals there say let it run its course and you are immune. I'd treat it.

Posts: 4875 | Location: Bryan, Texas | Registered: 12 January 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of shakari
posted Hide Post
If treated the symptoms lasts about a week and of left untreated about 7 days.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
jumping

Posts: 42111 | Location: Crosby and Barksdale, Texas | Registered: 18 September 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
If left untreated I believe your body becomes immune. Its real nasty to have though... shocker

Posts: 885 | Location: Eastern Cape, South Africa | Registered: 08 January 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
The treatment is pretty simple - just a full course of Doxycycline.

After your first bout, you do tend to get over subsequent infections quicker and with less suffering. I've got three episodes under my belt.

In regards to going untreated, you are only going to feel like death warmed over for 7-10 days or so. Lots of joint pain, fever and big headaches. With the treatment so simple, not sure why anyone would intentionally endure the exposure without antibiotics. They do shorten the recovery process. That and a handful of hydrocodone with a scotch chaser and you're back on your feet in no time.

Just Remember, We ALL Told You So.

Posts: 22442 | Location: Occupying Little Minds Rent Free | Registered: 04 October 2012Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
The reason I ask this question is my hunting buddy is in the hospital with a serious infection ,spleen,prostate and kidneys . I have had tick bite fever 3 times myself and know how to treat it. My buddy has other medical problems and takes meds for them. It has been a couple off years since we were in Africa and he may have contacted it and not known it and that was why I was wondering if there was a long term effect if not treated.

Paul K

One of Us
posted Hide Post
TBF can be associated with Tick Borne Relapsing Fever, but it is unusual to be dormant for two to three years and you would generally be very sick followed by a stretch of feeling well and then relapsing as the bacteria once again took hold.

A quick blood test can determine if the bacterium is present.

In any event, the treatment is simple enough antibiotics, pain killers and scotch. The Borrelia strain that causes Lyme disease on the other hand can be both difficult to treat and can (and often does) lead to relapse.

Hope he improves quickly!

Posts: 22442 | Location: Occupying Little Minds Rent Free | Registered: 04 October 2012Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Opus1:
He has been having server skeletal pain and fever spikes, and the doctors say he has a virus, but do not know what it is.

Paul

One of Us
posted Hide Post
A virus rules out TBF which is a Borrelia strain of bacterium and fairly easy to identify.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Opus1:
Thank you.
Paul

one of us
posted Hide Post
Opus1:
I'm sorry I was wrong, it is a bacterial infection.

Paul

One of Us
posted Hide Post
If it is a bacterial infection, it should be easier to identify. There is a quick test available in Africa for TBF, but do not know if it is available here.

I only play a doctor on TV so take my information accordingly...

one of us
posted Hide Post
Opus1:
Thank you for very much for your input, I appreciate it.

pAUL

One of Us
Picture of boarkiller
posted Hide Post
I had it couple of years ago in Zim
Nasty, fever spikes and bad headaches. Didn't help getting up at 3 and going to bed by 10-11.
I was down right miserable, but I didn't wanna says shit.
Damn elephant hunting can be rough one way or the other

" Until the day breaks and the nights shadows flee away " Big ivory for my pillow and 2.5% of Neanderthal DNA flowing thru my veins.
When I'm ready to go, pack a bag of gunpowder up my ass and strike a fire to my pecker, until I squeal like a boar.
Yours truly , Milan The Boarkiller - World according to Milan
PS I have big boar on my floor...but it ain't dead, just scared to move...

Man should be happy and in good humor until the day he dies...
Only fools hope to live forever
“ Hávamál”

Posts: 13376 | Location: In mountains behind my house hunting or drinking beer in Blacksmith Brewery in Stevensville MT or holed up in Lochsa | Registered: 27 December 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Good luck with your malady.

Reminds me of my first meeting with my rheumatologist. Now the first thing they do is look at your blood work, and all of your titers, which shows what you have been exposed to.

After reviewing my blood test and my titers, my doctor rocked back in his chair, looked over his glasses, and said, "Where in the hell have you been?"

Posts: 10207 | Location: Houston, Texas | Registered: 26 December 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of subsailor74
posted Hide Post
Take a course of CIPRO antibiotics with you when you go to Africa - I always do. It is a great antibiotic for lower GI maladies as well as being a first line drug against African tick fever and anthrax.

Posts: 1594 | Location: Virginia | Registered: 29 September 2011Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Thank you for all of your responses. I was just worried about my friend.

Paul

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by JTEX:
jumping

JTEX:
KMA
Paul

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Another tick borne illness making its debut in the US; Powassan virus...

http://www.foxnews.com/health/...lth&intcmp=obnetwork

One of Us
Picture of Scriptus
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by shakari:
If treated the symptoms lasts about a week and of left untreated about 7 days.

It is that damn plonk. stir Big Grin

Posts: 3297 | Location: South of the Equator. | Registered: 02 August 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I was sick as a dog with the tick bite fever upon my return a couple of years ago from Natal RSA. Really glad I got into a good physician's care quickly.
Obtained a good supply of Doxycycline my last trip across the border into Mexico.

Jack Hood

DRSS

Posts: 253 | Location: West Texas | Registered: 19 January 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
sounds like almost as much fun as Buffalo Ticks.

Posts: 23062 | Location: SW Idaho | Registered: 19 December 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of jdollar
posted Hide Post
TBF is why i take Doxycyclin for malaria prophylaxis as well as a TBF preventative. it's not the best out there for either but is pretty good as preventative for both.

Vote Trump- Putin’s best friend…

Posts: 13336 | Location: Georgia | Registered: 28 October 2006Reply With Quote