THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM AFRICAN HUNTING FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Hunting  Hop To Forums  African Big Game Hunting    Big tusker found dead in Hwange National Park.

Moderators: Saeed
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Big tusker found dead in Hwange National Park.
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of Zig Mackintosh
posted
Towards the end of 2009 whilst I was filming an elephant safari in the Tsholosho communal lands with Matupula Safaris a huge tusker was found dead in the Hwange National Park. The pilot of a light aircraft, which was flying between two of the hunting camps spotted the carcass under some trees about two kilometers from the boundary fence. The National Parks authorities granted permission to go in and investigate. Professional hunters Mark Butcher and Mark Ellement took their trackers and picked up a couple of government game scouts before walking into where the elephant lay. This video clip shows what they found under the trees.

http://www.safarinewsreel.com/blog/?p=598

Posts: 240 | Location: South Africa/Zimbabwe | Registered: 31 December 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Sevenxbjt
posted Hide Post
Very cool video. What a great old bull.

one of us
Picture of graybird
posted Hide Post
Amazing how easy the tusks came out of the skull!!!

Graybird

"Make no mistake, it's not revenge he's after ... it's the reckoning."

Posts: 3722 | Location: Okie in Falcon, CO | Registered: 01 July 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of A.Dahlgren
posted Hide Post
Great video, did you weigh the tusks ?

Posts: 2638 | Location: North | Registered: 24 May 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I knew that someone would ask!! There was no scale in the camp and the tusks were immediately taken to Hwange Main Camp. There was no scale there either so I don't know if we will ever know.

Zig

Posts: 240 | Location: South Africa/Zimbabwe | Registered: 31 December 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
My guess is around 80 lbs.

one of us
Picture of Will
posted Hide Post
Too cool. Thanks.

-------------------------------
Will Stewart / Once you've been amongst them, there is no such thing as too much gun.
---------------------------------------
and, God Bless John Wayne.

NRA Benefactor Member, GOA, N.A.G.R.

"Elephant and Elephant Guns" $99 shipped
“Hunting Africa's Dangerous Game" $20 shipped.

red.dirt.elephant@gmail.com

Hoping to wind up where elephant hunters go.

Posts: 19369 | Location: Ocala Flats | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of retreever
posted Hide Post
What a grand animal. The ele has been dead a long time and my big ele took 14 days to get ivory out of the sockets. This animal was dried up and the bacteria ate up all the nerve and flesh holding it in place.

Mike

Michael Podwika... DRSS bigbores and hunting www.pvt.co.za " MAKE THE SHOT " 450#2 Famars

Posts: 6768 | Location: Wyoming, Pa. USA | Registered: 17 April 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Bill/Oregon
posted Hide Post
Big old fella. Also love that axe.

There is hope, even when your brain tells you there isn’t.
– John Green, author

Posts: 16653 | Location: Sweetwater, TX | Registered: 03 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Woodmnctry
posted Hide Post
Wow! -- not really sure I understood what they thought he died from??
G

OMG!-- my bow is "pull-push feed" - how dreadfully embarrasing!!!!!

Posts: 933 | Location: 8K Ft in Colorado | Registered: 10 December 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of matt u
posted Hide Post
cool video
thanks for posting

Posts: 1662 | Location: Winston,Georgia | Registered: 07 July 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of DLS
posted Hide Post
Very interesting video. What a grand old bull.

Posts: 3915 | Location: California | Registered: 01 January 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of RobinOLocksley
posted Hide Post
It was interesting and educative to listen/watch to the gentleman explaining.Thanks for sharing.

Best-
Locksley,R

"Early in the morning, at break of day, in all the freshness and dawn of one's strength, to read a book - I call that vicious!"- Friedrich Nietzsche

Posts: 812 | Location: Sherwood Forest | Registered: 07 April 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
What a wonderful old king that bull was thumb I would love to have seen him walking around what a sight that would have been,thanks

Posts: 896 | Location: Langwarrin,Australia | Registered: 06 September 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of ozhunter
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by zhaba:
What a wonderful old king that bull was thumb I would love to have seen him walking around what a sight that would have been,thanks

A bit like this guy we found in Kenya.

Posts: 5886 | Location: Sydney,Australia  | Registered: 03 July 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Woodmnctry, The elephant had been dead since at least the last big rains which would have been around 6 months so it was impossible to see if it had been shot in the body by poachers. There were no bullet holes in the skull. It's teeth were in quite good nick so it had not died of starvation but it might have become ill and died, it's hard to know.

Zig

one of us
Picture of 218 Bee
posted Hide Post
Hey Zig!

I spoke to Butch at the Houston show today and he reports that (while he doesn't remember exactly) the tusks were in the 96 pound range. I don't know about y'all, but that's close enough to a "hundred-pounder" for rednecks like me.

Butch and I were hunting Miatengwe right along the southern Hwange border back in April of last year so of course I scolded him for not trotting this old boy out for my amusement...I'd have been happy to end his troubles for him! What a magnificent beast.

Mark

DRSS

"I always take care to fire into the nearest hillside and, lacking that, into darkness." - the late Dr. Hunter S. Thompson

Posts: 610 | Location: Coleman County, Texas | Registered: 05 July 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
A bull of yesteryear..

Posts: 2163 | Registered: 13 February 2006Reply With Quote