Find
Notify
Tools

Typical Rainer Josch DVD
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of PSmith
posted
Gents, the new Rainer Josch DVD of buffalo hunting in Cameroon is really good. Only thing wrong is it is too short. Two thumbs up.

Paul Smith
SCI Life Member
NRA Life Member
DSC Member
Life Member of the "I Can't Wait to Get Back to Africa" Club
DRSS
I had the privilege to fire E. Hemingway's WR .577NE, E. Keith's WR .470NE, & F. Jamieson's WJJ .500 Jeffery
I strongly recommend avoidance of "The Zambezi Safari & Travel Co., Ltd." and "Pisces Sportfishing-Cabo San Lucas"

"A failed policy of national defense is its own punishment" Otto von Bismarck

Posts: 2545 | Location: The 'Ham | Registered: 25 May 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of MJines
posted Hide Post
Paul, I watched it last night. It is okay but I have to say that it does not come close to his first DVD Mountain Buffalo and Buffalo Hunters. Like his DVD on hunting in Australia, I thought the latest effort started to feel more like a hunting DVD. The beauty of Mountain Buffalo and Buffalo Hunters is that they both are more like watching a documentary than a hunting show. Great footage, good music, narration that is good but not over done. The last DVD had the stock shooting at the range footage, footage of the chalets, etc. As I said, it was good, but not up the standard of Buffalo Hunters and especially Mountain Buffalo. I guess that is problem when your first effort is so darn good, making subsequent efforts measure up. I would rate Mountain Buffalo as one of the top three DVDs out there.

Mike

Posts: 21643 | Registered: 03 January 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Paul, I watched it last night. It is okay but I have to say that it does not come close to his first DVD Mountain Buffalo and Buffalo Hunters. Like his DVD on hunting in Australia, I thought the latest effort started to feel more like a hunting DVD. The beauty of Mountain Buffalo and Buffalo Hunters is that they both are more like watching a documentary than a hunting show. Great footage, good music, narration that is good but not over done. The last DVD had the stock shooting at the range footage, footage of the chalets, etc. As I said, it was good, but not up the standard of Buffalo Hunters and especially Mountain Buffalo. I guess that is problem when your first effort is so darn good, making subsequent efforts measure up. I would rate Mountain Buffalo as one of the top three DVDs out there.
Mike

tu2

Posts: 1815 | Location: Sinton, Texas | Registered: 08 November 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of bwanamrm
posted Hide Post
I ordered the video and watched it night before last. It is tough to film in the rain forest and I thought the footage was good for the location. It is always difficult to get the same number of successful hunts of dwarf forest buffalo that you can with cape buff or even buff in Benin or the West African Savannah of Cameroon or the CAR, that said, I would have liked to have more than just one hunt. If you think about it, there were as many forest hog and yellow backed duiker shot as buffalo, so it is hard to define it as a buffalo video.

That said, a good story in a unique area of Africa that is off the beaten path. Filming and editing were very good. I'd rate it a B... maybe B+.

On the plains of hesitation lie the bleached bones of ten thousand, who on the dawn of victory lay down their weary heads resting, and there resting, died.

If you can talk with crowds and keep your virtue,
Or walk with Kings - nor lose the common touch...
Yours is the Earth and everything that's in it,
And - which is more - you'll be a Man, my son!
- Rudyard Kipling

Life grows grim without senseless indulgence.

Posts: 7557 | Location: Victoria, Texas | Registered: 30 March 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of fairgame
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by bwanamrm:
I ordered the video and watched it night before last. It is tough to film in the rain forest and I thought the footage was good for the location. It is always difficult to get the same number of successful hunts of dwarf forest buffalo that you can with cape buff or even buff in Benin or the West African Savannah of Cameroon or the CAR, that said, I would have liked to have more than just one hunt. If you think about it, there were as many forest hog and yellow backed duiker shot as buffalo, so it is hard to define it as a buffalo video.

That said, a good story in a unique area of Africa that is off the beaten path. Filming and editing were very good. I'd rate it a B... maybe B+.

Talking of Cameroon?

ROYAL KAFUE LTD
Email - kafueroyal@gmail.com
Tel/Whatsapp (00260) 975315144
Instagram - kafueroyal

Posts: 9946 | Location: Zambia | Registered: 10 April 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of bwanamrm
posted Hide Post
Uh-0h...

On the plains of hesitation lie the bleached bones of ten thousand, who on the dawn of victory lay down their weary heads resting, and there resting, died.

- Rudyard Kipling

Posts: 7557 | Location: Victoria, Texas | Registered: 30 March 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of MJines
posted Hide Post
Take the Jay Cohea approach . . . so long as the hunt report is posted within eighteen months of the trip it is all good. Cool

Mike

Posts: 21643 | Registered: 03 January 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I always knew you had my back Mike. Smiler

Don't sweat it Russ you still have 16 months left.

Posts: 1815 | Location: Sinton, Texas | Registered: 08 November 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of bwanamrm
posted Hide Post
Big Grin

- Rudyard Kipling