Find
Notify
Tools

1968 Angola lion charge
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oh9HbKaZRZU

1968 Angola archery hunt for lion and charge after being wounded.

Kathi

kathi@wildtravel.net
708-425-3552

"The world is a book, and those who do not travel read only one page."

Posts: 9502 | Location: Chicago | Registered: 23 July 2003Reply With Quote
Picture of Bakes
posted Hide Post
If that lion had been hunted like that today...it would be a twenty pager at least.... rotflmo

------------------------------
A mate of mine has just told me he's shagging his girlfriend and her twin. I said "How can you tell them apart?" He said "Her brother's got a moustache!"

Posts: 8053 | Location: Bloody Queensland where every thing is 20 years behind the rest of Australia! | Registered: 25 January 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Jan Dumon
posted Hide Post
Using an un skinned Roan as bait... a different era indeed.
I can remember when a landowner would let you shoot a giraffe for free for Lion bait. Unthinkable today.

Jan Dumon
Professional Hunter& Outfitter
www.shumbasafaris.com

+27 82 4577908

Posts: 774 | Location: Greater Kruger - South Africa | Registered: 10 August 2013Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
If I'd been the camera guy, the video would have ended just as soon as he came flying out of the tree! That would have been something.

Posts: 1517 | Location: Idaho Falls, Idaho | Registered: 03 June 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Another shining example, the era be dammed, " if the weapon you are using on Dangerous Game cannot stop a charge in its tracks, you are involved in a ego fueled stunt where you are putting others at risk so you can prove it can be done with a bow"
Bad idea then, bad idea now. And I AM a bowhunter, but I use it on game that cannot kill me or my team.

Dave Fulson

Posts: 1467 | Registered: 20 December 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I agree 100%, Dave ! tu2

Posts: 1544 | Location: Alberta/Namibia | Registered: 29 November 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of tanks
posted Hide Post
Last comment was that he wanted to hunt on foot without a gun as a backup with his PH just having binoculars.

Yeah, right Wink.

Posts: 1083 | Location: Southern CA | Registered: 01 January 2014Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of PSmith
posted Hide Post
I felt like I had too much LSD there toward the end.

Paul Smith
SCI Life Member
NRA Life Member
DSC Member
Life Member of the "I Can't Wait to Get Back to Africa" Club
DRSS
I had the privilege to fire E. Hemingway's WR .577NE, E. Keith's WR .470NE, & F. Jamieson's WJJ .500 Jeffery
I strongly recommend avoidance of "The Zambezi Safari & Travel Co., Ltd." and "Pisces Sportfishing-Cabo San Lucas"

"A failed policy of national defense is its own punishment" Otto von Bismarck

Posts: 2545 | Location: The 'Ham | Registered: 25 May 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Bloody hell I've seen it all now ! Bow hunting off the back of the ute ! Bit of a shame the Lion didn't give him something more substantial than a scratch to remember the event by.

Posts: 464 | Location: New Zealand, Australia, Zambia | Registered: 25 May 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks for posting. IMHO, brave talk to try to make up for a stupid stunt.

velocity is like a new car, always losing value.
BC is like diamonds, holding value forever.

Posts: 1650 | Location: , texas | Registered: 01 August 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Interesting footage and pretty good quality for being 40 years old. I have to believe that in that era and in a place where you could track using a vehicle nobody ever gave it a thought to whether it was ethical much less legal to hunt that way. Actually on private property they are still hunting leopard in Bots in much the same manner as far as I know. I agree that it appeared that at least that particular bow was far from adequate for the job and he made a bad shot. What I couldn't understand is why the PH didn't keep on shooting once he had hit the lion the first time.

Mark

MARK H. YOUNG
MARK'S EXCLUSIVE ADVENTURES
7094 Oakleigh Dr. Las Vegas, NV 89110
Office 702-848-1693
Cell, Whats App, Signal 307-250-1156 PREFERRED
E-mail markttc@msn.com
Check us out on https://www.facebook.com/pages...ures/627027353990716

Posts: 13024 | Location: LAS VEGAS, NV USA | Registered: 04 August 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Great old footage Kathy. Thanks for posting.

quote:
Originally posted by Dave Fulson:
Another shining example, the era be dammed, " if the weapon you are using on Dangerous Game cannot stop a charge in its tracks, you are involved in a ego fueled stunt where you are putting others at risk so you can prove it can be done with a bow"
Bad idea then, bad idea now. And I AM a bowhunter, but I use it on game that cannot kill me or my team.

Dave,
First off, I never have wanted to hunt DG with a bow, but I sure have no problem with a passionate lifetime bowhunter that wanted to make arrangements with a PH that was willing to provide that service. I'm sure there's lots of outfitters/PH's that would be happy to provide it.
I don't understand, especially someone in your position, why some hunters are so quick to alienate thousands of other hunters just because they don't agree with a method.
Does your team accommodate disabled hunters, women, kids, first time hunters for DG. If so, do you make arrangements to make these hunts safer? How would this be any different than a bow hunter that wanted to complete his passion with a buffalo?

"If you are not working to protect hunting, then you are working to destroy it". Fred Bear

Posts: 444 | Location: WA. State | Registered: 06 November 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of tanks
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Dog Man:
...How would this be any different than a bow hunter that wanted to complete his passion with a buffalo?

Now, I am not a bow hunter, so please be patient with me.

My question is regarding DG hunts with a bow. Are they lethal enough to disable/kill? My understanding is that the arrow creates a wide enough wound channel for the animal to bleed to death and is very rarely instantaneous. Of course, follow up shots are not that fast with a bow.

Adding that there is a good possibility of being charged, isn't one putting the responsibility of putting the animal down on the PHs shoulders?

Would you call making that first wounding shot hunting dangerous game with a bow when most likely it will be the PH that will actually kill the animal?

Posts: 1083 | Location: Southern CA | Registered: 01 January 2014Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I'll let the expert bow hunters comment on the lethality on DG.
My issue is with Dave, who owns Safari Classics- Tracks Across Africa and is a officer with Dallas Safari Club. Talk about a loud voice in splitting ranks and alienating fellow hunters.

"If you are not working to protect hunting, then you are working to destroy it". Fred Bear

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:

Dave Fulson

Dave's spot on. I love bow hunting and have bowhunted plains game in Namibia. Wouldn't mind doing it again.

While I know a number of people who have hunted dangerous game with a bow, some years ago, my better half gently suggested that she would appreciate it if I didn't stick dangerous game with a sharp stick, at least until the children were out of college. I acquiesced and reverted to a rifle.

I now think that is the only responsible choice. JMHO.

Posts: 10382 | Location: Houston, Texas | Registered: 26 December 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by lavaca:
quote:

Dave Fulson

Dave's spot on. I love bow hunting and have bowhunted plains game in Namibia. Wouldn't mind doing it again.

While I know a number of people who have hunted dangerous game with a bow, some years ago, my better half gently suggested that she would appreciate it if I didn't stick dangerous game with a sharp stick, at least until the children were out of college. I acquiesced and reverted to a rifle.

I now think that is the only responsible choice. JMHO.

Well, the next time your around those DG bowhunters, be sure to let them know it was just an ego fueled stunt.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by tanks:
Last comment was that he wanted to hunt on foot without a gun as a backup with his PH just having binoculars.

Yeah, right Wink.

I enjoyed the footage, but that last comment was about the stupidest thing I've ever heard. How many PH's are going to sign up for that job?? Walk around with just a pair of binoculars, while that jack wagon is flinging arrows at lions. No thanks I choose life.

Go Duke!!

Posts: 1298 | Location: Texas | Registered: 25 January 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Dog Man,

Not trying to pick a fight, seriously. But if an elephant, buffalo, lion or leopard would happen to charge, could you stop it with a bow before anyone got hurt?

It's a yes or no question.

Posts: 10382 | Location: Houston, Texas | Registered: 26 December 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by lavaca:
Dog Man,

Not trying to pick a fight, seriously. But if an elephant, buffalo, lion or leopard would happen to charge, could you stop it with a bow before anyone got hurt?

It's a yes or no question.

NO
But if I was a PH, I would rather hunt with an avid experienced bowhunter that could put an arrow into the lungs of a buffalo than some dude that shows up with a brand new double rifle that he hasn't shot 6 times and is obviously an inexperienced hunter. This dude should be handled the same way as a bowhunter, add another gun to the party and agree that they will follow up on any questionable first shots.

Hey, let's just splinter up into the groups that are against hound hunting, DG bowhunting,
AR/Black gun big game hunting, Handgun DG hunting, and really start ridiculing and condemning each other's methods. Sheesh !

This kind of stuff just irritates me personally, especially when it's generated by somebody in Dave's position.

One of Us
Picture of fairgame
posted Hide Post
There are some very proficient and experienced bowhunters out there who are capable of taking on DG. However they are few and far between. Like guns there should be restrictions on the calibre of bows and associated gear.

Some bow hunters choose to hunt DG on a whim and these folks should be avoided.

ROYAL KAFUE LTD
Email - kafueroyal@gmail.com
Tel/Whatsapp (00260) 975315144
Instagram - kafueroyal

Posts: 9983 | Location: Zambia | Registered: 10 April 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by fairgame:
There are some very proficient and experienced bowhunters out there who are capable of taking on DG. However they are few and far between. Like guns there should be restrictions on the calibre of bows and associated gear.

Some bow hunters choose to hunt DG on a whim and these folks should be avoided.

I certainly agree with you on this Andrew Smiler

One of Us
Picture of fairgame
posted Hide Post
'But if I was a PH, I would rather hunt with an avid experienced bowhunter that could put an arrow into the lungs of a buffalo than some dude that shows up with a brand new double rifle that he hasn't shot 6 times....'

And so say all of us.

ROYAL KAFUE LTD
Email - kafueroyal@gmail.com
Tel/Whatsapp (00260) 975315144
Instagram - kafueroyal

Posts: 9983 | Location: Zambia | Registered: 10 April 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
That all makes sense. I always shot 70lbs on plains game and could easily draw 80-90. That said, for me, it's not the right choice for buffalo or elephant.

Insisting on no rifle backup when bowhunting is simply crazy. I wouldn't do that hunting dangerous game with a rifle.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Just scrolled quickly through the various comments to see if anyone knew much about the man or the video in question, but it seems most guys here do not. Let me tell you a bit about him...

His name was Bill Negley, and he was a Texas attorney, I think. He was absolutely honest, unlike some other bowhunters, and wrote about his successes and failures in Archer in Africa. The different thing about Bill is that following this lion fiasco he determined not to hunt dangerous game ever again with rifle back-up. Of course, no matter what a fellow like Bill Negley does, he inevitably leaves himself wide-open to attacks from armchair hunters and extremist greens and what-not. Anyway, he killed something like seven elephant (please forgive me if my memory is hazy and it was five) with recurve bow, and lost two or three (one of which would have been dead but fell into a raging, flooded river, never to be seen again).

The stories that man told are so wonderful. He is a hero of mine even though I choose to hunt buffalo with my longbow AND my self-carried back-up rifle (usually - sometimes I forget). I used-to own his fine book, but gave it to a good bowhunting friend on his wedding.

When I'm in the bush with my longbow, I like to think that Bill Negley is up there with my bowhunting ancestors, fingers crossed for me, willing me to get close to the buffalo and make the shot, and grinning from ear-to-ear when I do.

Posts: 1077 | Location: NT, Australia | Registered: 10 February 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of jdollar
posted Hide Post
it's interesting that he states he put in a fatal shot- in back of the lungs! the video clearly shows a gut shot. i suppose if he got lucky he smacked the liver but clearly it was a bad shot.

Vote Trump- Putin’s best friend…

Posts: 13449 | Location: Georgia | Registered: 28 October 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by BenKK:
Just scrolled quickly through the various comments to see if anyone knew much about the man or the video in question, but it seems most guys here do not. Let me tell you a bit about him...

His name was Bill Negley, and he was a Texas attorney, I think. He was absolutely honest, unlike some other bowhunters, and wrote about his successes and failures in Archer in Africa. The different thing about Bill is that following this lion fiasco he determined not to hunt dangerous game ever again with rifle back-up. Of course, no matter what a fellow like Bill Negley does, he inevitably leaves himself wide-open to attacks from armchair hunters and extremist greens and what-not. Anyway, he killed something like seven elephant (please forgive me if my memory is hazy and it was five) with recurve bow, and lost two or three (one of which would have been dead but fell into a raging, flooded river, never to be seen again).

The stories that man told are so wonderful. He is a hero of mine even though I choose to hunt buffalo with my longbow AND my self-carried back-up rifle (usually - sometimes I forget). I used-to own his fine book, but gave it to a good bowhunting friend on his wedding.

When I'm in the bush with my longbow, I like to think that Bill Negley is up there with my bowhunting ancestors, fingers crossed for me, willing me to get close to the buffalo and make the shot, and grinning from ear-to-ear when I do.

Ben,
Thank you for posting this info.
As a fellow hunter, I respect your passion for the sport of bow hunting.