New
Find
Notify
Tools

Re: Death in the Long Grass
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Somewhere in the depths of my books, there is an inscribed and autographed copy of that book. If anyone postulates making me an offer I cannot refuse....ask me for pictures....and I will try to dig the book out.
aax1@bellsouth.net

Posts: 2097 | Location: Gainesville, FL | Registered: 13 October 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of TOP_PREDATOR
posted Hide Post
I am currently reading Death in the long grass by Peter Hathaway Capstick,i have not hunted or been to Afrrica yet.Is there still the man-eaters and PH's like Capstick out there in the dark continent?
Quote:

"I speak of Africa and golden joys;the joy of wandering through lonely lands;the joy of hunting the mighty and terrible lords of the wilderness,the cunning,the wary and the grim." Theodore Roosevelt Khartoum,March 15, 1910

Posts: 1878 | Location: Throughout the British Empire | Registered: 08 October 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Will
posted Hide Post
PHC tends to exaggerate just a wee bit, but hunting Africa is better than money, power, sex, and everything else I can think of.

Posts: 19364 | Location: Ocala Flats | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Oldsarge
posted Hide Post
Let there be no doubt that there are still man-eating lions, infant-stealing leopards, rapacious crocs, hyenas that bite people's faces (and other tender parts) off and bad tempered members of the pachyderm tribe! The number of photo-tourists who get eaten every year is one of the best kept dirty little secrets of the Dark Continent. The number of native Africans who find themselves not on the top of the food chain is frightening. You can disappear there. I personally haven't met any PH's with a story-telling ability to compare with PHC's but a fine, stalwart bunch they are, indeed. Just keep this in mind. Do no try to go to Africa once "to get it out of my system". It won't work. Africa becomes an addiction every bit as expensive as illegal drugs. Fortunately, it isn't in any bad for you. Even in the unlikely event the beasts win a round, as they occasionally do, can you think of a better death for a hunter? Otherwise, you will become legend in your own family.

Posts: 2690 | Location: Lakewood, CA. USA | Registered: 07 January 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
TP,

Turn back! It is not too late to save yourself from this incurable malady!

There never was, and never will be another PH like PHC. He is in a class by himself, outstanding in his field, standing in that well tilled literary field all by his lonesome.

It scares me to think that Will is right, but in my heart of hearts, I know he is. Touche', Will, so to-the-point you are, that it hurts.

And Oldsarge, that was a beautiful bit of Blarney. You have a literary gift deserving of a field to plow right next to PHC's.

Cheers!

Posts: 28032 | Location: KY | Registered: 09 December 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of vapodog
posted Hide Post
Please don't take anyone's word for it........experience it just once.....You'll be hooked!!!!!

Posts: 28849 | Location: western Nebraska | Registered: 27 May 2003Reply With Quote