THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM AFRICAN HUNTING FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Hunting  Hop To Forums  African Big Game Hunting    Anybody remember the video of the elephants swimming the Zambezi, then charging?

Moderators: Saeed
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Anybody remember the video of the elephants swimming the Zambezi, then charging?
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
A lot of rumors were going about about it with some saying the photographer was killed.

Well, the true story of that video was shown on Travel Channel's "When Vacations Attack" this last weekend. No one was killed (strictly a matter of good luck), but one of the canoes was cut in half by the enraged cow. The guide was able to get a round chambered and fired one over the cow's head to stop her charge.

Seeing as the charge was his fault by beaching the canoes within 25 yards of where the elephants were emerging from the river, I guess it was the least he could do.

Posts: 1443 | Registered: 09 February 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of JudgeG
posted Hide Post
I remember the video. I assume this is it: Elephant attack on canoe

If I'd been there, I think I'd have not been videoing, but paddling like heck!

JudgeG ... just counting time 'til I am again finding balm in Gilead chilled out somewhere in the Selous.

Posts: 7693 | Location: GA | Registered: 27 February 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of LionHunter
posted Hide Post
I've been in small aluminum boats on the Chobe River - many years ago - when over 100 Ele came down the Bots side of Chobe National Park and swam across to Zambia. This only happens on average approximately once a month. I was very busy shooting video of this incredible event. It is thrilling to be on the river while these magnificent creatures swim across and to watch how they manage the calfs to get them across safely.

There is no way a boat should be beached under these circumstances and our boatman got us as close to the Ele on the river as I was comfortable. It's the "Disney effect" that gets tourists into trouble throughout Africa and these idiots could have been seriously injured or killed. I would bet they paid their guide to let them beach the canoe. Might have cleaned-up the gene pool a bit, however.

Mike
NRA Life
Sables Life
Mzuri
IPHA

"To be a Marine is enough."

Posts: 3577 | Location: Silicon Valley | Registered: 19 November 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Use Enough Gun
posted Hide Post
Same Disney effect that gets one or two tourists killed or severely injured in Yellowstone National Park each year by bison.