Find
Notify
Tools

Planning Next Safari
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of cable68
posted
Finally recovering from the economic downturn to the point where I can seriously start thinking about going back to Africa.

Now the first fun part begins, deciding where to go and what for. Zambia for sable and sitatunga, Cameroon or Congo for bongo, Cameroon for Derby eland, Uganda for sitatunga and lesser kudu?

Just thinking about the possibilities and the planning is a big part of the fun.

Caleb

Posts: 1010 | Location: Texan in Muskogee, OK now moved to Wichita, KS | Registered: 28 February 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Steve Ahrenberg
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by cable68:
Finally recovering from the economic downturn to the point where I can seriously start thinking about going back to Africa.

Now the first fun part begins, deciding where to go and what for. Zambia for sable and sitatunga, Cameroon or Congo for bongo, Cameroon for Derby eland, Uganda for sitatunga and lesser kudu?

Just thinking about the possibilities and the planning is a big part of the fun.

Wow!! Lots of really cool choices there. If you're considering both LDE and Bongo, you can do both successfully on one trip. Just be sure to pick the right outfit and book the right dates.

Keep us up to speed with what you decide.

Steve

Formerly "Nganga"

Posts: 3558 | Location: Phoenix, Arizona | Registered: 26 April 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of fairgame
posted Hide Post
Great first choice.

ROYAL KAFUE LTD
Email - kafueroyal@gmail.com
Tel/Whatsapp (00260) 975315144
Instagram - kafueroyal

Posts: 9983 | Location: Zambia | Registered: 10 April 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of cable68
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Steve Ahrenberg:
quote:
Originally posted by cable68:

Wow!! Lots of really cool choices there. If you're considering both LDE and Bongo, you can do both successfully on one trip. Just be sure to pick the right outfit and book the right dates.

Keep us up to speed with what you decide.

Steve

I'd love to do a combo LDE and bongo safari (got a thing for spiral horns if you couldn't tell by my list) but don't have the time for a 3 week hunt in Cameroon right now, and a little leery of CAR currently.

Caleb

Posts: 1010 | Location: Texan in Muskogee, OK now moved to Wichita, KS | Registered: 28 February 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I must agree, the Spiral Horned gentlemen are indeed a handsome bunch.

Steve

Formerly "Nganga"

Posts: 3558 | Location: Phoenix, Arizona | Registered: 26 April 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of fairgame
posted Hide Post
....and Ebola etc etc

ROYAL KAFUE LTD
Email - kafueroyal@gmail.com
Tel/Whatsapp (00260) 975315144
Instagram - kafueroyal

Posts: 9983 | Location: Zambia | Registered: 10 April 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by fairgame:
....and Ebola etc etc

And I still won't go till the current outbreak is over. It's just getting bigger.

Formerly "Nganga"

One of Us
posted Hide Post
For what it's worth in your thinking, here is one hunters view.

I have hunted them and I rank them by challenge and great memories in the following order:

1. Lord Derby Eland. The most physically challenging and rewarding hunting "experience" Africa has to offer.

2. Lesser Kudu. Fantastic country hunting an animal that makes a smart whitetail look like a dumb elk. I really enjoyed hunting them.

3. Bongo. Rainforest, bugs heat humidity and hopefully pygmies. I loved it.

4. Sitatunga. With almost no exception you kill a sitatunga with your "ass". Mostly by sitting on it. If you are overly thrilled by tree stand hunting, this might be your thing. Exact opposite of a Lord Derby Eland. Fun in the rainforest but not so much elsewhere.

5. Sable. Not as clever, nor as difficult nor as rewarding as every other animal on your list, by a long shot. The last time in Matetsi there were 100s and you could drive into range get out take pictures and argue about size. What a sucky way too hunt such a pretty animal. Of all African game you list, this one is the dunce of the class. No question. I did see one and took lots of pictures that was estimated at 47 minimum. Great pictures but compared to above, not very rewarding to hunt.

For me I would pick Lord Derby or Lesser Kudu or Bongo and not the others.

one of us
posted Hide Post
https://www.facebook.com/CongoHunting

Caleb,

We are headed to the Congo Sept. 2015 for bongo. The hunt really looks like it will be a different experience and hunting among the gorillas is an added bonus.

As another option, Mountain Nyala in Ethiopia is really unique and Ethiopian Rift Valley Safaris really do an outstanding job.

Best of luck on your choice.

Kathi

kathi@wildtravel.net
708-425-3552

"The world is a book, and those who do not travel read only one page."

Posts: 9502 | Location: Chicago | Registered: 23 July 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Navaluk:
For what it's worth in your thinking, here is one hunters view.

I have hunted them and I rank them by challenge and great memories in the following order:

1. Lord Derby Eland. The most physically challenging and rewarding hunting "experience" Africa has to offer.

2. Lesser Kudu. Fantastic country hunting an animal that makes a smart whitetail look like a dumb elk. I really enjoyed hunting them.

3. Bongo. Rainforest, bugs heat humidity and hopefully pygmies. I loved it.

4. Sitatunga. With almost no exception you kill a sitatunga with your "ass". Mostly by sitting on it. If you are overly thrilled by tree stand hunting, this might be your thing. Exact opposite of a Lord Derby Eland. Fun in the rainforest but not so much elsewhere.

5. Sable. Not as clever, nor as difficult nor as rewarding as every other animal on your list, by a long shot. The last time in Matetsi there were 100s and you could drive into range get out take pictures and argue about size. What a sucky way too hunt such a pretty animal. Of all African game you list, this one is the dunce of the class. No question. I did see one and took lots of pictures that was estimated at 47 minimum. Great pictures but compared to above, not very rewarding to hunt.

For me I would pick Lord Derby or Lesser Kudu or Bongo and not the others.

Great post.

I think the Sitatunga is still, by far, the best value in hunting one of the exotic spiral horns.

The watery haunt they call home requires a dedicated crew, PH and client. I spent 8 or 9 days on fly camp in the Bangweulu Swanp with Andrew Baldry.

Sitting around all day after the morning hunt. Then waiting for the last few moments of the day. The time for the Sitatunga bull to walk out of the Papyrus.

Deciding each night to either sleep in cold wet clothes or just wear your warm wet clothes…again.

I would agree with you as well on the Sable.

Bongo, mine was a long slog in Machans, waiting.

LDE, agreed. Earned. Lots of shoe leather

Formerly "Nganga"

One of Us
Picture of cable68
posted Hide Post
Some responses/additional notes

I'm not scared of ebola, or rather not worried because Id be far enough away from it, unless things changed drasticaly.

Those assesments of the various hunts are kind of what I expected from reading reports. I'm wanting to do the more physically demanding hunts while Im still young and in shape.

Mountain nyala is in the plans for the future, checkbook says not yet.

Work would allow about 2 weeks, but would have to do so at the split of a month: end of one month, beginning of another. Money budget: would allow me to go to Tanzania for 21 days but not shoot anything.

Caleb

One of Us
Picture of DCS Member
posted Hide Post
You're looking at great options. I've only done PG. Buff is next for me. Great luck on what you decide.

I meant to be DSC Member...bad typing skills.

Marcus Cady

DRSS

Posts: 3458 | Location: Dallas | Registered: 19 March 2008Reply With Quote