Find
Notify
Tools

Hatari tonight
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of bwanamrm
posted
For you old goats like me... Hatari is on HDNMV tonight. I was about 4 when it was released and remember the first time I saw it at a Drive-In double feature when I was 6. It was the primary reason for my desire to see Africa! I was some kind of disappointed when I found out there wasn't a crew like that catching animals for zoos across the country when I hit 14!

Hell, John Wayne and East Africa all in one movie. It doesn't get any better!

On the plains of hesitation lie the bleached bones of ten thousand, who on the dawn of victory lay down their weary heads resting, and there resting, died.

If you can talk with crowds and keep your virtue,
Or walk with Kings - nor lose the common touch...
Yours is the Earth and everything that's in it,
And - which is more - you'll be a Man, my son!
- Rudyard Kipling

Life grows grim without senseless indulgence.

Posts: 7540 | Location: Victoria, Texas | Registered: 30 March 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Todd Williams
posted Hide Post
Russ, It's one of my favorite movies. I watch it every time I happen to catch on TV. Hatari and the Tarzan movies hooked me when I was a kid. That and "The American Sportsman" on Saturday mornings.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Dadburnit! It's not on Comcast!
Sports Afield did a feature on it in their latest issue on pg. 68.

LORD, let my bullets go where my crosshairs show.
Not all who wander are lost.
NEVER TRUST A FART!!!
Cecil Leonard

Posts: 2786 | Location: Northeast Louisianna | Registered: 06 October 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Just someting interesting, I was a child of about 4 jears old when the elefant featering in the film was caught, they were in a corn field and and all the adults was shot, Oom Willie de Beer caught the two young ones, the smaller one was used in the movie, I still have some fhotos of me sitting on one of the death adults, an the young ones being caught, my fhather take the photos, there is some of the elephants in the holding pen also, the elephants was caught in Kenia, it was in 1961 or 62.

Posts: 74 | Location: Vaal Triangle, Rep of South Afrika | Registered: 19 April 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of ozhunter
posted Hide Post
You don't have to be an Old goat to enjoy that one Wink
I've even been lucky enough to have visited the Momella Lodge that was featured in the film. tu2

Posts: 5886 | Location: Sydney,Australia  | Registered: 03 July 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of retreever
posted Hide Post
I watch it whenever it comes on. The monkey catching is a hoot..

Mike

Michael Podwika... DRSS bigbores and hunting www.pvt.co.za " MAKE THE SHOT " 450#2 Famars

Posts: 6767 | Location: Wyoming, Pa. USA | Registered: 17 April 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Aspen Hill Adventures
posted Hide Post
I have it on DVD, I believe I got it through Amazon!

~Ann

Posts: 19232 | Location: The LOST Nation | Registered: 27 March 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Crazyhorseconsulting
posted Hide Post
quote:
I have it on DVD, I believe I got it through Amazon!

tu2 tu2 tu2 beer

Don't remember where we got ours, but DVD's are the only way to fly IMO.

Even the rocks don't last forever.

Posts: 31014 | Location: Olney, Texas | Registered: 27 March 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
There is a great article in this months Sports Afieldby Thomas McIntyre entitled Memories of Hatari, an interview with Jan Oelofse. This year hatari celebrates turning 50.

You can read part of it online at
http://www.sportsafield.com/co...nterview-jan-oelofse

The danger of civilization, of course, is that you will piss away your life on nonsense

Posts: 782 | Location: Baltimore, MD | Registered: 22 July 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Placed an order with Amazon today, should be in by the end of the week!
Next week I'll be trying to shoot whiskey bottles swinging on a sting from a tree limb.

NEVER TRUST A FART!!!
Cecil Leonard

Posts: 2786 | Location: Northeast Louisianna | Registered: 06 October 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Soething interesting, when Oom Willie de Beer capture the two young elephants my dad was taking photos, the youngest one ran him over and he kicked her away from him, weeks later in the holding pens everybody could toutch her but if my dad came near she lift her trunk and squeel and try tot chase him, so elephants doe remember!

Posts: 74 | Location: Vaal Triangle, Rep of South Afrika | Registered: 19 April 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Grafton
posted Hide Post
It is fun to count the cigarettes as you watch. I lost count last time at around 75. Great movie, they do not make them like that anymore.

SAFARI ARTS TAXIDERMY
http://www.safariarts.net/

Posts: 1378 | Location: Virginia, USA | Registered: 05 March 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Another thing long afterwards if there was thunder in the sky, I would say " Hulle skiet olifante in die wolke" They shoot elephants in the clouds!

one of us
Picture of prof242
posted Hide Post
Have had a copy of the movie since it was released in BETA format. Its one of my all-time favorites.

.395 Family Member
DRSS, po' boy member
Political correctness is nothing but liberal enforced censorship

Posts: 3490 | Location: Colorado Springs, CO | Registered: 04 April 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Bill/Oregon
posted Hide Post
Every time I see poor old Red Buttons I think of "Sayonara" and get all sad ...

There is hope, even when your brain tells you there isn’t.
– John Green, author

Posts: 16530 | Location: Sweetwater, TX | Registered: 03 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Aspen Hill Adventures
posted Hide Post
It's a good, fun movie and speaks to those who have known and do know Africa. Please pass the popcorn.

~Ann

Posts: 19232 | Location: The LOST Nation | Registered: 27 March 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Ann & Other Friends
Be at my house Fri. nite, I'll furnish the popcorn & cokes.

NEVER TRUST A FART!!!
Cecil Leonard

One of Us
Picture of BCJames
posted Hide Post
Whats Hatari?

sofa

Posts: 133 | Location: Alberta | Registered: 09 March 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Grafton
posted Hide Post
quote:
Whats Hatari?

It's a video game system. The "H" is silent.

SAFARI ARTS TAXIDERMY
http://www.safariarts.net/

Posts: 1378 | Location: Virginia, USA | Registered: 05 March 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
BCJames
You must be the youngster in this group, or maybe it's just geographic.
Probably don't remember going to the movies on Sat. afternoon for a double feature plus a cartoon for only 25 cents.
Another two bits would get you a bag of popcorn & a coke.
2 movies, a cartoon, a coke & a bag of popcorn for 50 cents.(mighty cheap babysitter for the mamas)
And we all walked 5 miles to school & it was uphill both ways.

NEVER TRUST A FART!!!
Cecil Leonard

One of Us
Picture of Todd Williams
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by bwana cecil:

And we all walked 5 miles to school & it was uphill both ways.

And in the snow with no shoes!

And we got NOTHING for Christmas and was glad to get it! Smiler

Just a small bit of trivia: Hatari is one of only 7 of John Wayne's movies in which he wore his famous "Red River" belt buckle! The buckle was later stolen while being cleaned at a jeweler's store and has never resurfaced!

One of Us
Picture of BCJames
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by bwana cecil:
BCJames
You must be the youngster in this group, or maybe it's just geographic.
Probably don't remember going to the movies on Sat. afternoon for a double feature plus a cartoon for only 25 cents.
uphill both ways.

You're probably right. The only thing I can remember getting for 25 cents was a phone call...

I will have to find a copy of Hatari and check it out.

Posts: 133 | Location: Alberta | Registered: 09 March 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Use Enough Gun
posted Hide Post
Geez, I remember going to the Saturday movies with all of the kids in town for 15 cents! For another 10 cents you got a big bag of candy and popcorn to eat while watching 2-3 movies! Good stuff like the Three Stooges, Tarzan, old Gene Autrey, the Lone Ranger, John Wayne and other cowboy movies,. . . . . . . . Big Grin

One of Us
posted Hide Post
U E G
You forgot Elvis!

NEVER TRUST A FART!!!
Cecil Leonard

One of Us
Picture of Use Enough Gun
posted Hide Post
rotflmo