New
Find
Notify
Tools

My African .22 L.R. Custom
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Today I finished my Winchester Model 63 auto in 22 L.R. complete with quarter rib, barrel band swivel, barrel band front sight with NECG gold faced partridge front sight, rust blue, Leupold 7/8 inch Leupold Alaskan 2.5X scope, Talley QD rings and a Talley QD peep sight...Russian Circasian Walnut wood from Bill Dowtins Oldworldwalnut.com with cresent butt plate, egg cheek piece; wrap around mullered border checkering....shoots under and inch at 50 yards every time and right at an inch at 100 yards so far with some left over ammo..

Guinne fowl super rifle, head shots only...might even take a chuck or two this spring, but will have my 222 for back up in case of a charge...

Can't post pics but will send pics to anyone interested if you send me an email at ray@atkinsonhunting.com

Ray Atkinson
Atkinson Hunting Adventures
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

rayatkinsonhunting@gmail.com

Posts: 42171 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Use Enough Gun
posted Hide Post
Ray: We need to see that eye candy! thumb

One of Us
Picture of Rusty
posted Hide Post
You did WHAT to at Mod. 63 Winchester auto loader? The rifle I grew up with? The rifle that fired so many rounds, killed so many rabbits, I had to replace the bolt due to a cracked bolt face? The rifle with the worn cartridge stop that before it was replaced, could hang all 10 empty cases in a beautiful little arc when it went full auto? My sacred Mod. 63? The rifle that after all these years still is like hugg'n my best girl friend, "It knows just what to do"?

Ray, Ray, Ray . . . . . Big Grin

I did see some drop dead beautiful Turkish Walnut at Dustin Mount's place earlier this week and it is going on Model 63!

Rusty
We Band of Brothers!
DRSS, NRA & SCI Life Member

"I am rejoiced at my fate. Do not be uneasy about me, for I am with my friends."
----- David Crockett in his last letter (to his children), January 9th, 1836
"I will never forsake Texas and her cause. I am her son." ----- Jose Antonio Navarro, from Mexican Prison in 1841
"for I have sworn upon the altar of god eternal hostility against every form of tyranny over the mind of man." Thomas Jefferson
Declaration of Arbroath April 6, 1320-“. . .It is not for glory, nor riches, nor honours that we are fighting, but for freedom - for that alone, which no honest man gives up but with life itself.”

Posts: 9797 | Location: Missouri City, Texas | Registered: 21 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Semi-autos are restricted in Africa. Maybe being rimfire makes a difference?

Posts: 4168 | Location: Texas | Registered: 18 June 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of JudgeG
posted Hide Post
He's a couple of pictures:

I've got a Nylon 66 with a busted stock that I'll trade?

JudgeG ... just counting time 'til I am again finding balm in Gilead chilled out somewhere in the Selous.

Posts: 7698 | Location: GA | Registered: 27 February 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Safari-Hunt
posted Hide Post
Only one big problem with those pictures. The rifle is not sitting in my hands. Looks like a nice little rifle to play with. thumb

Frederik Cocquyt
I always try to use enough gun but then sometimes a brainshot works just as good.

Posts: 2548 | Location: Pretoria, Gauteng, South Africa | Registered: 06 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
If it doesn't fly in Africa I shall rename it my Roosting Turkey Gun!! and lay waste to every sleeping turkey in Texas!! clap

Ray Atkinson
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

Posts: 42171 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Ivan
posted Hide Post
Thats one sweet looking two two.

Posts: 576 | Location: The Green Fields | Registered: 11 February 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Rusty
posted Hide Post
Very pretty Ray!

Posts: 9797 | Location: Missouri City, Texas | Registered: 21 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Will
posted Hide Post
Ray,

I guess that old Weaver is a "period piece" but your grandaughter (?) deserves a good quality 1" scope on that rifle.

-------------------------------
Will Stewart / Once you've been amongst them, there is no such thing as too much gun.
---------------------------------------
and, God Bless John Wayne.

NRA Benefactor Member, GOA, N.A.G.R.

"Elephant and Elephant Guns" $99 shipped
“Hunting Africa's Dangerous Game" $20 shipped.

red.dirt.elephant@gmail.com

Hoping to wind up where elephant hunters go.

Posts: 19369 | Location: Ocala Flats | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Will,
That is no Weaver, its a Leupold Alaskan 7/8" tube scope produced by Leupold for about 18 months in the late 80s as I recall, its a rare and hard to find scope these days, has centered reticle. I bought one in 2.5X, 4X and 6X, they got so high dollar that I sold the 4X and 6X for $275 and $300, but held on to the 2.5X..Its a great scope even on my .416 Rem...but its found a new home on the .22, at least until someone talks me out of the rifle....

Ray Atkinson
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

one of us
Picture of Will
posted Hide Post
My humble apologies!

-------------------------------
Will Stewart / Once you've been amongst them, there is no such thing as too much gun.
---------------------------------------
and, God Bless John Wayne.

NRA Benefactor Member, GOA, N.A.G.R.

"Elephant and Elephant Guns" $99 shipped
“Hunting Africa's Dangerous Game" $20 shipped.

red.dirt.elephant@gmail.com

Hoping to wind up where elephant hunters go.

Posts: 19369 | Location: Ocala Flats | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of NitroX
posted Hide Post
How much is it going to sell for?

John H.

NitroExpress.com - the net's double rifle forum

Posts: 10138 | Location: Wine Country, Barossa Valley, Australia | Registered: 06 March 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Rusty
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by NitroX:
How much is it going to sell for?

John, I thought I was the only one who knew Ray for what he really is. . . .

Rusty
We Band of Brothers!
DRSS, NRA & SCI Life Member

"I am rejoiced at my fate. Do not be uneasy about me, for I am with my friends."
----- David Crockett in his last letter (to his children), January 9th, 1836
"I will never forsake Texas and her cause. I am her son." ----- Jose Antonio Navarro, from Mexican Prison in 1841
"for I have sworn upon the altar of god eternal hostility against every form of tyranny over the mind of man." Thomas Jefferson
Declaration of Arbroath April 6, 1320-“. . .It is not for glory, nor riches, nor honours that we are fighting, but for freedom - for that alone, which no honest man gives up but with life itself.”

One of Us
Picture of Use Enough Gun
posted Hide Post
That is one nice little gun!

one of us
posted Hide Post
I really don't know what to price it at, but I have another M-63 and I'm going to make another one..

I am thinking about $3800. but all cash offers and trade offers will be considered...

I know Rusty, Im a gun whore, I admit it, its a personality flaw! I love to build them and I love to buy and trade guns, I just can't be held responsible for it, I have no control over it!! nilly

Ray Atkinson
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

One of Us
Picture of Rusty
posted Hide Post
That's why I love him! Big Grin