Notify
Tools

Delta flight 200, July 18
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of cal pappas
posted
Fellas:
Any of you fine gentlemen taking Delta flight 200 to Jo'burg on July 18?

I'm hunting buffalo and plains game in SA, then to Botswana for plains game for 8 days, then to Zimbabwe for a vacation and perhaps a bit of hunting. Taking a .450-400 double.

It will be a pleasure to fly Delta again after Emirates last year.

Cheers, all, and I look forward to meeting some of you.
Cal

Cal Pappas, Willow, Alaska
www.CalPappas.com
www.CalPappas.blogspot.com
1994 Zimbabwe
1997 Zimbabwe
1998 Zimbabwe
1999 Zimbabwe
1999 Namibia, Botswana, Zambia--vacation
2000 Australia
2002 South Africa
2003 South Africa
2003 Zimbabwe
2005 South Africa
2005 Zimbabwe
2006 Tanzania
2006 Zimbabwe--vacation
2007 Zimbabwe--vacation
2008 Zimbabwe
2012 Australia
2013 South Africa
2013 Zimbabwe
2013 Australia
2016 Zimbabwe
2017 Zimbabwe
2018 South Africa
2018 Zimbabwe--vacation
2019 South Africa
2019 Botswana
2019 Zimbabwe vacation
2021 South Africa
2021 South Africa (2nd hunt a month later)

Posts: 7281 | Location: Willow, Alaska | Registered: 29 June 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I would enjoy meeting you Cal....I leave out on May 30 though. Maybe our paths will cross sometime. Happy hunting and good luck.

Posts: 1332 | Location: Western NC | Registered: 08 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Todd Williams
posted Hide Post
What's up with the Emirates flight last year Cal? My son and I are heading to Harare on June 28 and were planning on Emirates.

one of us
Picture of tarbe
posted Hide Post
Delta 200 on August 12th for me. Final destination the BVC.

Also taking a 450/400...but just one barrel!

0351 USMC

Posts: 1536 | Location: Romance, Missouri | Registered: 04 March 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of cal pappas
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Todd Williams:
What's up with the Emirates flight last year Cal? My son and I are heading to Harare on June 28 and were planning on Emirates.

Todd:
Emirates was a fine airline with great food, clean planes, and beautiful attendants.

But, coming to and returning to Alaska I can't book through with a rifles so I have to collect my bags in Seattle and recheck which is very time consuming. Also, Emirates weighed my carryon. It was over the 15 pound limit and they wanted to charge $200. I took out a book and placed it in my gun case and saved the fee. The security in Dubai was annoying (three searches when transiting) but it was clean and safe. Returning to Seattle, it was a cluster xxxx rechecking in with Alaska Air--about four hours.

Delta is great for me. Straight shot Anchorage to Atlanta and Jo'burg, bags checked through all the way. Much easier for firarms with no advance paperwork and the carryon is not weighed. Much less hassle, for me anyway, coming from Alaska.
Cal

www.CalPappas.com
1994 Zimbabwe
1997 Zimbabwe
1998 Zimbabwe
1999 Zimbabwe
2000 Australia
2002 South Africa
2003 South Africa
2003 Zimbabwe
2005 South Africa
2005 Zimbabwe
2006 Tanzania
2006 Zimbabwe--vacation
2007 Zimbabwe--vacation
2008 Zimbabwe
2012 Australia
2013 South Africa
2013 Zimbabwe
2013 Australia
2016 Zimbabwe
2017 Zimbabwe
2018 South Africa
2018 Zimbabwe--vacation
2019 South Africa
2019 Botswana
2019 Zimbabwe vacation
2021 South Africa

Posts: 7281 | Location: Willow, Alaska | Registered: 29 June 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Todd Williams
posted Hide Post
Thanks Cal.

BTW, I've had South African Airways weigh my carry on bag several times. I don't think Delta ever did though.

I understand the connection issues for you in Alaska. Glad to hear that's really the issue. My son lives in Houston. Emirates departs out of Houston so I'll just drive down the night before. Should be relatively easy connections for us.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Always loved travelling on Emirates, but OK, see your point. Need to have a beer or twenty when you're here.

Posts: 408 | Location: Zimbabwe | Registered: 01 December 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Sorry Cal. Going a few days before via Atlanta to BVC. Would ve liked to have met you.

one of us
Picture of bwanamrm
posted Hide Post
Close on dates anyway. Flying Qatar Airlines on July 17th and headed to East Africa instead... first time doing QA and transiting Doha.

On the plains of hesitation lie the bleached bones of ten thousand, who on the dawn of victory lay down their weary heads resting, and there resting, died.

If you can talk with crowds and keep your virtue,
Or walk with Kings - nor lose the common touch...
Yours is the Earth and everything that's in it,
And - which is more - you'll be a Man, my son!
- Rudyard Kipling

Life grows grim without senseless indulgence.

Posts: 7558 | Location: Victoria, Texas | Registered: 30 March 2003Reply With Quote
Administrator
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by cal pappas:
quote:

Todd:
Emirates was a fine airline with great food, clean planes, and beautiful attendants.

But, coming to and returning to Alaska I can't book through with a rifles so I have to collect my bags in Seattle and recheck which is very time consuming. Also, Emirates weighed my carryon. It was over the 15 pound limit and they wanted to charge $200. I took out a book and placed it in my gun case and saved the fee. The security in Dubai was annoying (three searches when transiting) but it was clean and safe. Returning to Seattle, it was a cluster xxxx rechecking in with Alaska Air--about four hours.

Delta is great for me. Straight shot Anchorage to Atlanta and Jo'burg, bags checked through all the way. Much easier for firarms with no advance paperwork and the carryon is not weighed. Much less hassle, for me anyway, coming from Alaska.
Cal

The only airline that wanted to weigh my carry on was Qatar Airways!

And I was traveling First Class too!

And it was not at the check in, but at the gate??!

I told her “Miss, whoever told you to weigh the carry on bags here is a bloody stupid idiot! If you insist, I am not boarding, and you will never see me on this airline again!”

She apologized and let me on.

Someone came on the plane and tried to explain it was all a misunderstanding, as they were not supposed to check First Class passengers.

I repeated to him what I told the girl earlier, that any checking should have been done at the check in, not at the gate.

That was the last time I flew Qatar Airlines.

www.accuratereloading.com
Instagram : ganyana2000

Posts: 68795 | Location: Dubai, UAE | Registered: 08 January 1998Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Thanks Cal.

BTW, I've had South African Airways weigh my carry on bag several times.

SAA in Dulles has gotten "tough" on carry-on weight.

Remember, forgivness is easier to get than permission.

Posts: 3994 | Location: Hudsonville MI USA | Registered: 08 June 2000Reply With Quote
Administrator
posted Hide Post
I really wish airlines would use a system where the passenger and his luggage weigh X pounds for economy, Y pounds for Business and Z pounds for First.

A few weeks ago I was on Emirates in First, and I was the only person looking normal!

Every single one in First was over weight!

Some by at least double my weight!!

www.accuratereloading.com
Instagram : ganyana2000

Posts: 68795 | Location: Dubai, UAE | Registered: 08 January 1998Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I am glad guys like cal post things like this. It can make lifetime friends. When I flew home from zim, there was what I still call an old man boarding with me. He was still on my plane when we left Atlanta for salt lake city. When we boarded for SLC he sat one seat over. He had taken a tuskless the same day I had. We talked the whole ride and said we would see each other again. I have now went to dinner every year at SCI with him since then, and I'm finding out from him, age is just a number. Thanks RJ. See you next year.

Posts: 118 | Location: Utah | Registered: 25 March 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of cal pappas
posted Hide Post
Delta won't ship my buffalo to Alaska but they will ship me and my rifle to Africa to kill them.
Cal

www.CalPappas.com
1994 Zimbabwe
1997 Zimbabwe
1998 Zimbabwe
1999 Zimbabwe
2000 Australia
2002 South Africa
2003 South Africa
2003 Zimbabwe
2005 South Africa
2005 Zimbabwe
2006 Tanzania
2006 Zimbabwe--vacation
2007 Zimbabwe--vacation
2008 Zimbabwe
2012 Australia
2013 South Africa
2013 Zimbabwe
2013 Australia
2016 Zimbabwe
2017 Zimbabwe
2018 South Africa
2018 Zimbabwe--vacation
2019 South Africa
2019 Botswana
2019 Zimbabwe vacation
2021 South Africa

One of Us
Picture of Aspen Hill Adventures
posted Hide Post
Wish I could say I was going. Sounds like you have a great time ahead of you!

~Ann

Posts: 19564 | Location: The LOST Nation | Registered: 27 March 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Big Wonderful Wyoming
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Aspen Hill Adventures:
Wish I could say I was going. Sounds like you have a great time ahead of you!

Ditto Ann,

I have the incredible misfortune of flying American from Germany to El Paso in a couple weeks with 7 checked bags, 3 kids under 8 years old, and my wonderful wife who is tired of moving back and forth from overseas for the 8th time.

Fun stuff.

She said she is due a cruise in 2020, I kind of think she meant alone!

Posts: 7782 | Location: Das heimat! | Registered: 10 October 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have used Emirates a couple of time from Dallas to Jo'burg and I agree the service/perks were exceptional. Last year I continued to Moz and was assured I could check my rifle from Dallas to Tete. Got to the airport and the counter manager said no way. Had Henry meet me in Jo'berg to import my rifle and leave again on the three hour layover. On the way back the luggage/rifle was checked from Tete to Dallas which I was not expecting so I did not have my "civilian" clothes that were in mhy checked bags to change into at the African Sky.

However, it was not the pleasure of traveling that most dissapointed me with Emirates - It was what I listened to on the Dallas/Dubia flight. On the entertainment menu was an interview with the president of Emirates where he extoled the virtues of Emirates supporting of anti-poaching efforts (I fully support those efforts.), how Emirates no longer ships trophies in support of those efforts, and a mini-tirage on how there is no excuse for sport hunting and it is just barbaric. That is the reason I will now go back to Delta Airlines for future travel to Africa.

Posts: 161 | Location: Dallas area | Registered: 07 October 2012Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
I'm on DL200 8/29/19. Ultimate destination Simon Rodgers' camps.

Anyone else on 8/29?

I bought Economy Comfort. Hope it helps. I'm studying web articles devoted to surviving that flight. Actually, I'm more worried about surviving the flight back, when the fun is over.

Montana

One of Us
Picture of boarkiller
posted Hide Post
Lots of fluids, no sleeping pills and plenty of walking around
Long damn flight for sure

" Until the day breaks and the nights shadows flee away " Big ivory for my pillow and 2.5% of Neanderthal DNA flowing thru my veins.
When I'm ready to go, pack a bag of gunpowder up my ass and strike a fire to my pecker, until I squeal like a boar.
Yours truly , Milan The Boarkiller - World according to Milan
PS I have big boar on my floor...but it ain't dead, just scared to move...

Man should be happy and in good humor until the day he dies...
Only fools hope to live forever
“ Hávamál”

Posts: 13376 | Location: In mountains behind my house hunting or drinking beer in Blacksmith Brewery in Stevensville MT or holed up in Lochsa | Registered: 27 December 2012Reply With Quote