Tools

Hatari!
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
"Hatari" is just plain fun.

That's it!

Posts: 42341 | Location: Crosby and Barksdale, Texas | Registered: 18 September 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Hatari was first owned by Warner Bros. and was to be called "Africa" starring Gary Cooper. Cooper lost interest and refused to make the movie. The script was sold to Paramount in 1959, the name changed to "Hatari", and was to star Clark Gable and John Wayne. Gable demanded the leading role and his untimely death in 1960 gave Wayne the lead. The scrip was apparently changed from a pure action film to a combination action - comedy.

I wonder who would star in the movie if a remake were made 50 years later? As a combination action - comedy, I vote for Russell Crowe for the lead, Chris Rock as "Pockets", Whoopi Goldberg as "Dallas". Wink

Posts: 1357 | Location: Texas | Registered: 17 August 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Matt Norman
posted Hide Post
In my one-only trip to Tanzania I spent time in Arusha and recognized a couple locations where the baby elephants were running around. The city has gone downhill quite a bit since then with the population at least five times what it was back then.

My PH (Ernst Sholtz) took me to a guest house ran by a woman who was was a child when several members of the cast stayed while filming the movie including John Wayne. They had several photos of the various stars posing with members of the family including the lady who now runs the place.

Posts: 3276 | Location: Western Slope Colorado, USA | Registered: 17 August 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by RCG:
Great movie! I have but one question.

Brandy or Dallas?

RCG

Both at the same time. Cool

" Knowledge without experience is just information. "

- Mark Twain

Posts: 141 | Location: santa maria, ca | Registered: 25 January 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of 450/400 Jeffrey's
posted Hide Post
Hoagy Carmichael was originally to do the score for Hatari, but it eventually went to Mancini.

Hardy Kruger enjoyed the filming so much he bought the ranch in Tanzania and lived there for many years.

Don't you think a bunch of guys living the safari life in Africa for months on end would get worked up having a couple of lovely girls around?

I'll take Brandy.

Posts: 142 | Location: Dreaming of Luangwa | Registered: 23 August 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Charles_Helm
posted Hide Post
Showtime is showing Hatari! several times this month. Check your listings. On right now on Showtime Extreme. Cool

Posts: 8773 | Location: Republic of Texas | Registered: 24 April 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of jimatcat
posted Hide Post
i got the old VHS tapes... gonna watch it again tonite....

go big or go home ........

DSC-- Life Member
NRA--Life member
DRSS--9.3x74 r Chapuis

Posts: 2840 | Location: dividing my time between san angelo and victoria texas.......... USA | Registered: 26 July 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I'm watching it right now. The strength and explosive speed of that baby rhino is astounding!

Armbar.

Posts: 169 | Location: So Cal, ....USA | Registered: 25 May 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I was about 6 when Hatari! came out. It and Mutual of Omaha's Wild Kingdom provided my first childhood visions of Africa. Fine shows.

Now that I've made one hunting trip to EA, the references to Simanjiro and Lokisale in the movie had familiar meaning.

Jack Hood

DRSS

Posts: 253 | Location: West Texas | Registered: 19 January 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Sevenxbjt
posted Hide Post
Watched it on Showtime tonight. My wife and I both found it entertaining. Just a fun movie, with lots of cool scenery if you have an interest in this stuff.