Find
Notify
Tools

Which .416 for DG?
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Rigby? Remington? Pros and cons?

___________________________________________________________________________________________

Posts: 691 | Location: UTC+8 | Registered: 21 June 2002Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
I have both the Remington and the Rigby. My preference is strongly towards the Remington because I like smaller, trimmer and lighter rifles that are typically based on a M70 action. I load only to 2400fps with 400gr bullets and the extra capacity of the Rigby is just not necessary. If I want more horsepower I step up to the 45cal and use my 450 Dakota...which is where the Rigby case starts becoming useful,IMO.

Posts: 1148 | Location: The Hunting Fields | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of gumboot458
posted Hide Post
..Remington ......My cz holds 6 in the magazine , and yet it is still comfortable to carry ,,, It does well over 2400 fps with book hand loads , [ here ] and no doubt it can be loaded to that velocity for the Equator....Brass is Greatly abundant and very affordable , .,It is easier to reload and you can get the Lee factory crimp die for it ...And some 416 Rigby,s have 16 " twist barrels where as the SAAMI spec for the Remington is 14" ,,,The faster twist stabilizes the longer mono metal bullets and the over weight bullets also .......Factory ammo also costs about half as much .....The actions tend to be alot lighter ...

.If it can,t be grown , its gotta be mined ....

Posts: 3445 | Location: Copper River Valley , Prudhoe Bay , and other interesting locales | Registered: 19 November 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I have 6 416 Remingtons and think its a very good caliber.I have two Remington model 700s that are 7.5 pounds with 22" barrels.They dont kisck nearly as hard as you think.I use the 350 gr speer mag tip at 2400 fps as my practice load.The 416 rem mag has to kick less than the 416 rigby in the same weight gun.It uses alot less powder to push a bullet at the same speed.The caliber I want to come out in 2008 the 416 Ruger.It will be even better than the 416 Remington with stronger brass,shorter action and shorter bolt throw and smooth bolt flow.I want one in a laminated stocked stainless with sites and detachable Ruger rings.I think it will be the only 416 that could take away the 416 remington as my favorite 416.

Posts: 2543 | Registered: 21 December 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of jorge
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by John S:
I have both the Remington and the Rigby. My preference is strongly towards the Remington because I like smaller, trimmer and lighter rifles that are typically based on a M70 action. I load only to 2400fps with 400gr bullets and the extra capacity of the Rigby is just not necessary. If I want more horsepower I step up to the 45cal and use my 450 Dakota...which is where the Rigby case starts becoming useful,IMO.

Couldn't agree more. I have and love my 416 Rigby, but if I'm going to lug around an action that big, might as well shoot a bigger bullet; like a 450 Dakota. jorge

USN (ret)
DRSS Verney-Carron 450NE
Cogswell & Harrison 375 Fl NE
Sabatti Big Five 375 FL Magnum NE
DSC Life Member
NRA Life Member

Posts: 7149 | Location: Orange Park, Florida. USA | Registered: 22 March 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of PSmith
posted Hide Post
.416 Rigby just because it's cool

Paul Smith
SCI Life Member
NRA Life Member
DSC Member
Life Member of the "I Can't Wait to Get Back to Africa" Club
DRSS
I had the privilege to fire E. Hemingway's WR .577NE, E. Keith's WR .470NE, & F. Jamieson's WJJ .500 Jeffery
I strongly recommend avoidance of "The Zambezi Safari & Travel Co., Ltd." and "Pisces Sportfishing-Cabo San Lucas"

"A failed policy of national defense is its own punishment" Otto von Bismarck

Posts: 2545 | Location: The 'Ham | Registered: 25 May 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
.416 Rigby because it´s so cool AND it´s a classic!

http://www.tgsafari.co.za

"What doesn´t kill you makes you stranger!"

Posts: 2213 | Location: Finland | Registered: 02 May 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Whichever you have or shoot the best...

Posts: 265 | Location: Hammertown, USA | Registered: 13 August 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Will
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by John S:

Ditto, but I can get the flyweight 416 Taylor to do the same at a lot less weight.

-------------------------------
Will Stewart / Once you've been amongst them, there is no such thing as too much gun.
---------------------------------------
and, God Bless John Wayne.

NRA Benefactor Member, GOA, N.A.G.R.

"Elephant and Elephant Guns" $99 shipped
“Hunting Africa's Dangerous Game" $20 shipped.

red.dirt.elephant@gmail.com

Hoping to wind up where elephant hunters go.

Posts: 19358 | Location: Ocala Flats | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Guillermo Amestoy
posted Hide Post
For me; Smiler A un-belted 416 for reliably feed... mandatory for Dangerous Game !!! Wink, and low pressure cartridge for hot climate, and you can use Speer 350 grs spitzer for plain games or 405 solid round noses for D.G. Many writers dont consider the new "416 belteds" as a improve version of the old 416 Rigby. Today I take knoledgement about the Krieghoff 416 rimmed existence for doubles!!! clap great!!! Regards;Guillermo.

"Every ignored reallity prepares its revenge!"

Posts: 883 | Location: Provincia de Cordoba - Republica Argentina -Southamerica | Registered: 09 May 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of gumboot458
posted Hide Post
......I,ve never seen a 416 Rem that didn,t feed slick as butter ......It is a truley execellent cartridge design ....

.If it can,t be grown , its gotta be mined ....

Posts: 3445 | Location: Copper River Valley , Prudhoe Bay , and other interesting locales | Registered: 19 November 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I really love the 416 Remington and when dangerous game is on the license I use it as my all around rifle. My son and nephew both use the 416 Rigby and are quite happy with their rifles and caliber. For the life of me I've never been able to tell the difference in killing efficiency.

Posts: 740 | Location: CT/AZ USA | Registered: 14 February 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
>416 Rigby for me,classic, accurate, pretty rifle, low pressure, slick feeding, buffalo pounding booger. I have the Taylor that shoots the same bullet at the same velocity but at much higher pressure and so I'v resolved to myself that I am more comfortable with the Rigby. Dr.C

At Home on the Range-Texas Panhandle

one of us
posted Hide Post
I own the Rigby. Just more versatile IMHO.

Pancho
LTC, USA, RET

"Participating in a gun buy-back program because you think that criminals have too many guns is like having yourself castrated because you think your neighbors have too many kids." Clint Eastwood

Give me Liberty or give me Corona.

Posts: 937 | Location: Roswell, NM | Registered: 02 December 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of shakari
posted Hide Post
In all the years I've been hunting Africa, I've never seen a single animal that can tell the difference between the various 416 variants if the right bullet hits them in the right place. Choose the one you like. Wink

one of us
Picture of Will
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by shakari:
In all the years I've been hunting Africa, I've never seen a single animal that can tell the difference between the various 416 variants if the right bullet hits them in the right place.

It amazes me how anyone can claim with a straight face how a 416 bullet going 2400 fps knows what donor cartridge case it came from!

-------------------------------
Will Stewart / Once you've been amongst them, there is no such thing as too much gun.
---------------------------------------
and, God Bless John Wayne.

NRA Benefactor Member, GOA, N.A.G.R.

"Elephant and Elephant Guns" $99 shipped
“Hunting Africa's Dangerous Game" $20 shipped.

red.dirt.elephant@gmail.com

Hoping to wind up where elephant hunters go.

Posts: 19358 | Location: Ocala Flats | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
The 416 Rem is the most practical round, ammo is available about everywhere and its a factory round..

That old belted case has been proving itself to hunters for ions, yet there are still those who scream "belted, belted", then wretch violently! horse..well, buy a Ruger 375 or build a Ruger 416..

No 416 Rigbys for me, thats a waste of a big action that should be a 500 or 505 and such.

If I wanted nostalgia and a classic it would have to be the .404 on a std. mauser action.

Will, The Taylor is a 416 Rem with hemroids! animal

Ray Atkinson
Atkinson Hunting Adventures
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

rayatkinsonhunting@gmail.com

Posts: 42136 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by shakari:
In all the years I've been hunting Africa, I've never seen a single animal that can tell the difference between the various 416 variants if the right bullet hits them in the right place. Choose the one you like. Wink

But Steve, shouldn't you give the animal the choice of what he will be dispatched with; seems to be an important part in letting the animal decide how he is going to die and all....

SCI Life Member
DSC Life Member

Posts: 2018 | Location: Colorado | Registered: 20 May 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
There has been lot's of great information written here, gentlemen. Thank you for it.

There seems to be an overwhelming preference among forum members for the .416 Remington Magnum although a couple have mentioned feeding problems. That should be a major concern when DG is involved but I suspect it has more to do with the action than the belt.

___________________________________________________________________________________________

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Iagree with SHAKARI, but having said that, my preferenceis for the Rigby. I always defer to the classic ctgs. Cheers.

Posts: 363 | Location: pueblo, Co. USA | Registered: 01 July 2006Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
quote:
Will, The Taylor is a 416 Rem with hemroids!

Ray, that's the best one I've heard for a while,LOL! And nostalgia never killed a single animal nor made pulling off a great shot any sweeter. Wink

Posts: 1148 | Location: The Hunting Fields | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Ray, thank you for the comment because the 416 Taylor will be just fine for me and my hemroids! Big Grin BOOM

Posts: 5338 | Location: Bedford, Pa. USA | Registered: 23 February 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I had thought of asking about the Taylor, Hoffman and Weatherby, too. Maybe a poll is in order.

one of us
Picture of fredj338
posted Hide Post
Both work fine but I prefer my 404 jeffery. clap

LIFE IS NOT A SPECTATOR'S SPORT!

Posts: 7752 | Location: kalif.,usa | Registered: 08 March 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
You won't catch me throwing rocks at the .416 Remington ... and I own a Rigby and an Aagaard. Whatever floats your boat will work just fine!

Mike

--------------
DRSS, Womper's Club, NRA Life Member/Charter Member NRA Golden Eagles ...
Knifemaker, http://www.mstarling.com

Posts: 6199 | Location: Charleston, WV | Registered: 31 August 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Michael Robinson
posted Hide Post
Don't know about hemorrhoids, but the .416s I've seen and used look more like normal cartridges on steroids!

I have rifles chambered for the Rem. and the Rigby and I like 'em both a lot.

If I had to give one up, it would be a tough choice, but I would give up the Rigby, I think.

I love those big cases, though. The Rigby is a throwback piece of Africana, and a pretty cool one at that.

Mike

Wilderness is my cathedral, and hunting is my prayer.

Posts: 13613 | Location: New England | Registered: 06 June 2003Reply With Quote