Find
Notify
Tools

Leopard trophy
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Gents,

just returned yesterday from my first Africa hunt.For the task I had selected Pierre van Tonder thru Ray's recommendation.The object was to get some excellent buffalo and plainsgame,leopard was added when it became obvious that a strictly DG hunt would be more economical as plainsgame availability was limited.

I shall report some details on above later.At this time would yield to "pressure" and just report about the singular leopard ,not to overshadow the rest with his glory

Pierre proved to be an excellent PH in the field as well as a super person.Before the hunt,I had outlined that I was only interested in shooting high quality trophies and would rather walk empty rather than taking average specimens.No females,7 feet length or better qualified.A not easy undertaking.

We had hung into suitable trees and location about 10-12 leopard baits without getting any strikes,though one had big tracks and scratchmarks on the tree before selection.Pierre selected yet another location,quite different from the usual Selous character,a dense grove about 80y maybe from a river,Tarzan homestead like country with twisted vines and little sunshine.Small ,possibly female tracks were seen on a tree.We hung a new bait.

Next day the bait was checked,something or somebody was feeding,not much though.Some of the tracks though were encouraging:BIG leopard tracks under the tree.

Pierre in his wisdom decided to change the bait and freshen it up.Next day in the am,checked the tree for a hit.

Bingo,a huge chunk was missing and the signes indicative of a possibly big cat.A suitable blind was build some 45y away,we returned later that afternoon to deal with what would develop.Pierre cautiously tried to improve his survival odds :"If I have to go after him,I will offer him my arm to feed on to gain some time,please dont shoot me,shoot the leopard off me"

I had grave concerns that a wounded or not dead leopard in the thick woods of the grove could not be stalked without being ambushed by him.Pierre agreed but thought we would deal with that problem when it became a problem.Shot placement became paramount to thwart the above,but my fears and thoughts were pressing on me.

We sat quietly in the blind,ready to evaluate what would be coming.Suddenly a big massive leave and branch rustling,sounded like a gorilla to me.I quickly judged that to be a remote possibility ,though baboons were in the area and grove.I looked at Pierre,he looked at me with raise eyebrows and big eyes.We both looke thru the blind holes to the bait,a big cat was standing on the bait branch,Pierre signaled the cat was big enough.I sighted thru the rifle scope but because the paralax was set wrongly or other unknown conditions could not see any spots on the cat.I whispered "its a female lion !" ,Pierre came back,no its a leopard,take him.

The big cat was bending down ,fishing to get the hanging bait up on the treebranch.

This offere a unique shot that I considere good and Pierre quickly agreed.Placed the shot sqare between the shoulder blades,squeezed and a dull "plomp" followed.

The cat was seen dead on the ground-no dangerous follow up needed.I was grateful.

Pierre was at its side in no time,measuring ,dancing,hollering,"it is huge".

The trackers came in time with the jeep,pictures taken and

accolates distributed.

I was numb,the tension had gone,had tears in my eyes realizing the feat had been done safely.I had shot my first leopard .

Inspection of the tree confirmed the suspicion:the cat had not climbed the tree as he was supposed to,he simply jumped from the ground onto the branch,about a 4 yard jump straight up!

Later in camp ,after the cat had been skinned,we located a tape measure:8 feet +2-4 inch from nose to tail,realizing that a skinned hide usually shrinks quite a bit,I was " a very happy smiling and proud man"

Pierre was happy as well ,his success for clients leopard had been upheld,his hunches on location had been proven correct and the big task of hanging smelly bait as well as checking every day was done.

Posts: 795 | Location: CA,,the promised land | Registered: 05 November 2001Reply With Quote
Picture of Canuck
posted Hide Post
Beautiful cat, great story and awesome pic's!! Congrats and thanks for sharing. I am messed up for work for the rest of the day (concentration is shot!), but it was well worth it.

Cheers,
Canuck

Posts: 7121 | Location: The Rock (southern V.I.) | Registered: 27 February 2001Reply With Quote
Picture of Bakes
posted Hide Post
Well done mate nice cat. Its a pitty we in Australia can't bring back leopard trophys , as I would love to take one if/when I get to Africa.

again congratulations.

Posts: 7996 | Location: Bloody Queensland where every thing is 20 years behind the rest of Australia! | Registered: 25 January 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Palmer
posted Hide Post
Great leopard. Congratulations!

Posts: 2251 | Location: Mo, USA | Registered: 21 April 2002Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
Congratulations SH! A beauty!

Posts: 11017 | Registered: 14 December 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Now that's a leopard! Well done!

Posts: 4360 | Location: Sunny Southern California | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
That cat is a dandy. What caliber did him in?

Posts: 4799 | Location: Lehigh county, PA | Registered: 17 October 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Michael Robinson
posted Hide Post
WOW! Great leopard! Congratulations!

Posts: 13474 | Location: New England | Registered: 06 June 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Will
posted Hide Post
Nice cat. Congratulations.

Posts: 19333 | Location: Ocala Flats | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote