Find
Notify
Tools

375 H&H on VZ24 action?
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of M1Tanker
posted
A few years ago I got a wild hare and built a 375 Hawk on a VZ24 action with a 24" Shilen Match barrel. After learning so much from everyone here I realised what I really want is a 375 H&H. If possible I would like to rechamber/rework it the H&H. Is the VZ24 capable of handling the 375 H&H? I know it would need altering of extractor, boltface, rails, etc... But the length is what really concerns me. If not, I will still have a great rifle for elk and bear.

Posts: 3155 | Location: Rigby, ID | Registered: 20 March 2004Reply With Quote
Picture of jeffeosso
posted Hide Post
it can fit, it;s genereally a tough job...

a 375 taylor WILL fit

the 375 hawk should be right there...

as usuall, you can sell the 375 hawk and buy you a new cz in 375, without much difference in cash

jeffe

Posts: 39632 | Location: Conroe, TX | Registered: 01 June 2002Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
Would the VZ24 need to be re-case hardened? I have heard it is a good idea on other actions but I was wondering about the VZ. I have a couple laying around and have been pondering on what to do with them.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Yes you can modify you VZ for a 375 H&H. You need to lengthen the magazine box, open the feed rails, open the bolt face, modify the extractor, modify the magazine port to its's maximum length, and probably notch the port side of the front ring to allow ejection of a loaded round. A 375 Taylor will only reguire the feed rail, bolt , and extractor work. The other issue you face is heat treatment- every gunsmith will have his own feelings about the issue. I prefer to use actions that were built and designed for magnum loads- and as long as I pay the insurance bill it will remain My policy.

www.duanesguns.com

Posts: 869 | Location: N Dakota | Registered: 29 December 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of M1Tanker
posted Hide Post
I think I will be better off to just save up and get a 375 H&H built on a proper action. The Hawk will still be a fine elk and black bear rifle. I am unfamiliar with the 375 Taylor, can you enlighten me? Thanks for your input.

Posts: 3155 | Location: Rigby, ID | Registered: 20 March 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
There are thousands of milsurp actions out there that have been properly converted to 375 and 416 Rem caliber..The English have been doing that for years and those old guns are going strong...If done right they are the classic 375 H&H...Holland and Holland, Westley Richards, Cogswell and Harrison and a multitude of others have done this work, not to mention the Win. M-70, Mk 10 and Browning Mauser and the earlier Fabrique National...

All my present guns in 338, 375 and 416 are on Mod. 98 Mauser actions...It is the classic African game rifle action IMO....If I own one it is going to be a Mod 98 Mauser, FN or pre 64 Mod. 70....and I am now building a 404 on a CZ 550, but hey thats just a closet Mauser, but so is the M-70....

The VZ-24 is a great action...It really doesn't cost much to have it taken down to soft and brought back up, but like Jack Belk said that's kinda like painting a metal barn! but then D'Arcy thinks they should all be re done, so who is right? I don't know, but for $50. it sure sounds like a sound practice to have it done. two of mine have and one has not or visa versa????.

Posts: 42158 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
It is a 375/338 win mag.

Posts: 869 | Location: N Dakota | Registered: 29 December 2003Reply With Quote