THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM AFRICAN HUNTING FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Hunting  Hop To Forums  African Big Game Hunting    Ernest Hemingway And His Westley Richards Double Rifle

Moderators: Saeed
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Ernest Hemingway And His Westley Richards Double Rifle
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of Michael Robinson
posted
Interesting article from The Double Gun Journal:

Ernest Hemingway And His Westley Richards Double Rifle

Mike

Wilderness is my cathedral, and hunting is my prayer.

Posts: 13613 | Location: New England | Registered: 06 June 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
"....the buyer plans to take the rifle to Africa..."

Exellent. It should be used.

We hear over and over "if this gun could talk..." This gun had a biographer.

Mark

Posts: 1244 | Location: Arizona | Registered: 09 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of cal pappas
posted Hide Post
I understand the owner has already taken elephant(s) with this magnificent .577.
Cal

Cal Pappas, Willow, Alaska
www.CalPappas.com
www.CalPappas.blogspot.com
1994 Zimbabwe
1997 Zimbabwe
1998 Zimbabwe
1999 Zimbabwe
1999 Namibia, Botswana, Zambia--vacation
2000 Australia
2002 South Africa
2003 South Africa
2003 Zimbabwe
2005 South Africa
2005 Zimbabwe
2006 Tanzania
2006 Zimbabwe--vacation
2007 Zimbabwe--vacation
2008 Zimbabwe
2012 Australia
2013 South Africa
2013 Zimbabwe
2013 Australia
2016 Zimbabwe
2017 Zimbabwe
2018 South Africa
2018 Zimbabwe--vacation
2019 South Africa
2019 Botswana
2019 Zimbabwe vacation
2021 South Africa
2021 South Africa (2nd hunt a month later)

Posts: 7281 | Location: Willow, Alaska | Registered: 29 June 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Gayne C. Young
posted Hide Post
I'm a manic depressive, borderline alcoholic outdoor writer just like Papa, why can't I afford a rifle like this?

Visit my homepage
www.gaynecyoung.com

Posts: 710 | Location: Fredericksburg, Texas | Registered: 10 July 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Gayne
It's the hair!

LORD, let my bullets go where my crosshairs show.
Not all who wander are lost.
NEVER TRUST A FART!!!
Cecil Leonard

Posts: 2786 | Location: Northeast Louisianna | Registered: 06 October 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Nope. Need rich friends. Big Grin

Mike

One of Us
Picture of BaxterB
posted Hide Post
quote:
Nope. Need rich friends

or uncle...

one of us
posted Hide Post
You can call it his but in the article it mentions that it was originally built for someone else.

Posts: 11651 | Location: Montreal | Registered: 07 November 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of adamhunter
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by shootaway:
You can call it his but in the article it mentions that it was originally built for someone else.

Does that mean that all the period doubles that the guys here on AR own aren't really their's? Because I seriously doubt anyone on here was around to have a double commissioned in 1925.

30+ years experience tells me that perfection hit at .264. Others are adequate but anything before or after is wishful thinking.

Posts: 854 | Location: Atlanta, GA | Registered: 20 December 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
There is a pride in working along with the gunbuilder and engraver in making something that YOU see is best.
looking at the engraving I wonder what what influence the original owner had in its outcome.

Posts: 11651 | Location: Montreal | Registered: 07 November 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of adamhunter
posted Hide Post
[QUOTE]Originally posted by shootaway:
There is a pride in working along with the gunbuilder and engraver in making someone that YOU see is best.
QUOTE]

If you are a sentimentalist, that is no doubt true. Even if you are not, there is something to be said for the WR and its new owner carrying on the work of Mr. Christy and Papa.

30+ years experience tells me that perfection hit at .264. Others are adequate but anything before or after is wishful thinking.

Posts: 854 | Location: Atlanta, GA | Registered: 20 December 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
If the work is good and the price is right there is no doubt something good to say.That is for each individual to decide.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
The rifle in question is owned by our good friend Bill Jones. One of Bill's passions is owning rifles that were owned and used by famous safari figures. We have indeed filmed two Botswana tuskers falling to Papa's \ Bill's rifle that will be a episode of Tracks, as well as featured on an upcoming DVD release. I will give a heads up on AR prior to those shows airing. He also owns rifles that were owned by Fletcher Jameson, Selous, and Elmer keith. I have been lucky to see all these great bits of Africana, and even fire several. A thrill, and I am glad Bill is taking them hunting where they belong...AFRICA!

Dave Fulson

Posts: 1467 | Registered: 20 December 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Gayne C. Young
posted Hide Post
quote:
Gayne
It's the hair!

I've gotten a hair cut since Journeys

Visit my homepage
www.gaynecyoung.com

Posts: 710 | Location: Fredericksburg, Texas | Registered: 10 July 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of jdollar
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by adamhunter:
quote:

Does that mean that all the period doubles that the guys here on AR own aren't really their's? Because I seriously doubt anyone on here was around to have a double commissioned in 1925.

give it up Adam. arguing with shootaway is like teaching a pig to dance- frustrates you and bores the pig...

Vote Trump- Putin’s best friend…

Posts: 13389 | Location: Georgia | Registered: 28 October 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
People who buy weapons or items and use them in the true spirit of their design,purpose & history,
is what impresses me, not the price they paid at auction.

An acquaintance of mine, was personally gifted [by Loveless himself] the second sub-hilt fighter Bob ever produced,
the first being Bobs own personal blade, with the few remainders of the very rare and limited run,then being sold off.

The person who visited Bob at his workshop and was originally personally gifted that #2 knife from Bob,
would not sell it for any amount of money.
He eventually gifted it to another well aquanted person, who used it strictly in same professional line of work,
So no investment-safekeep or idle dislplay purpose for that baby, instead...
It kept on working in the role is was originally designed & built to do... Cool

quote:
There is a pride in working along with the gunbuilder and engraver in making something that YOU see is best.
looking at the engraving I wonder what what influence the original owner had in its outcome.

Harry Selby modified his Rigby .416 himself, more to his own liking.
Which is even more personal than working with the worship builders at Rigby.

Posts: 9434 | Location: Here & There- | Registered: 14 May 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of adamhunter
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jdollar:
quote:
Originally posted by adamhunter:
quote:

give it up Adam. arguing with shootaway is like teaching a pig to dance- frustrates you and bores the pig...

Jdollar,
You are correct! I was not trying to argue with the man, I know better. Merely trying to understand his logic...errr...uhhh...statement.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Good for Bill Jones! There is a love of hunting weapons, and hunting, that is imbued in these firearms, and their history. Not to use them as they were intended, now, that would be the true shame and sin.

I look forward to seeing the film, Dave.

Mike