Find
Notify
Tools

Why Use an Outfitter ?
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of Code4
posted
Why do people use an outfitter and not deal direct with the P/H ? I can't see any real advantages for the client.

Maybe someone can explain this for me.

Cheers.

Posts: 1432 | Location: Australia | Registered: 21 March 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Brain1
posted Hide Post
Years ago I started on looking into a trip to Africa. I didn't know anyone who had been and didn't know where to look or who to trust. I did know a few outfitters in north Texas that booked Texas hunts. One of them recomended a friend of his (Wendell Reich). I gave Wendell a call and he advised me on the what's and where's and provided plenty of references. In short he has earned my trust. Before you knew it we were in Namibia hunting. He has helped me since then with a leopard hunt. After I have been over there a few times I may feel knowledgable enough to try it on my own. Until then I trust my outfitter to steer me in the right direction. If you have plenty of money then going out on your own may be an option. In my income bracket I can't afford to make a mistake that may cost me hundreds or maybe thousands of dollars. It could be the difference between going and not going.

You can borrow money, but you can't borrow time. Don't wait, go now.
Savannah Safaris Namibia
Otjitambi Trails & Safaris
DRSS
NRA
SCI
DSC
TSRA
TMPA

Posts: 1245 | Location: Bridgeport, Tx | Registered: 20 May 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Balla Balla
posted Hide Post
In the main (there are exceptions) the PH is a self employed individual with their own safari vehicle and rifle and he/she works for an outfitter or hunting company. So you need to essentially deal with the OUTFITTER or the AGENT whom consults/books for that outfitter.

A number of outfitters whom use third party agents dont load up the prices, you get the same price as advertised on the outfitters website, the outfitter takes the hit and pays the agent a commission, exceptions of course apply. SHOP AROUND ...

There is no one size fits all in hunting Africa

Cheers> Peter

Posts: 3331 | Location: New Zealand | Registered: 27 February 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of MJines
posted Hide Post
To me this is one of those questions where there is no one answer that fits for all circumstances. I think in large part it depends on the PH that you are booking with. My last three hunts have been booked directly with the PH. My first hunt was booked through an outfitter. I think for the person going on their first hunt to Africa sometimes working with an outfitter that is in the same (or similar) time zone, that you can conveniently talk to on the phone, etc. can provide some needed peace of mind. I think the more comfortable you become with hunting in Africa the less important it becomes to use an outfitter. With the internet, the major shows, etc. you can get a wealth of information on specific safari companies and PHs. That said, I am sure that many vetern hunters book all of their hunts with outfitters and are quite pleased.

Mike

Posts: 21241 | Registered: 03 January 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Are the terms "outfitter" and "booking agent" being used as one and the same here? To me an outfitter is one who runs the hunting operation on a given property, mostly in the US I suppose, and a booking agent is one who represents the outfitter or PH and books hunts for them??? To me these terms are very different. JMO

Larry Sellers
SCI Life Member

Posts: 3460 | Location: Jemez Mountains, New Mexico | Registered: 09 February 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
To carry this a bit further. I am a Professional Registered "Outfitter" in New Mexico. I own and operate a hunting operation, thus I am an "outfitter". I do not book hunts for others, so I am not a Booking Agent, but do use them. Big difference.

Larry Sellers
SCI Life Member

Posts: 3460 | Location: Jemez Mountains, New Mexico | Registered: 09 February 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Another reason is you send someone on this side of the pond your money. Many have tried to get refunds or settle disputes in Africa with an African company. Ain't so easy to do from here. At the very lease your dealing with American law should the worst happen.
I have used Wendell many times. He is a straight shooter and would not do wrong by you.

NRA LIFE MEMBER
DU DIAMOND SPONSOR IN PERPETUITY
DALLAS SAFARI CLUB LIFE MEMBER
SCI FOUNDATION MEMBER

Posts: 1366 | Location: SPARTANBURG SOUTH CAROLINA | Registered: 02 July 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I can only go by my personal experience with outfitters and guides. I've done both, depending on the circumstances of the hunt.

Guides are great if I have your own gear, know the area I'll be hunting well enough to know when I'm are being taken for a ride vs. on a hunt, and have the time and know-how to deal with getting the necessary gear into the area where the guide takes over.

Otherwise, I get an outfitter. Here in Alaska the outfitters I use will work with pilots that I know are good. Many times air charter companies are also outfitters. The outfitter makes arrangements for equipment that either I don't have or is hard to transport to remote locations - like boats or rafts, quads, wall tents, etc.

"No game is dangerous unless a man is close up"
Teddy Roosevelt 1885.

Posts: 211 | Location: SEAK USA | Registered: 26 January 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I too used Wendell Reich as my booking agent. About a week prior to leaving one of my return legs, Maun to Windhoek, was canceled. The travel agent wanted to have me leave a day earlier or later. Having to go through Joberg was also brought up. None of this sounded good to me. Wendell suggested I have the PH drive me to Windhoek which worked out brilliantly. The PH didn't think I could fly into Botswana and drive into Namibia but Wendell had experience with this and we worked it out. I also screwed up a gun permit and a quick call to my wife got Wendell on the case, which he solved, all while I'm out in the bush hunting. I was also able to leave a large sum with him so I didn't have to fly there with $6,000 in my pockets. Lastly there was some confusion with the PH about road transfer costs which Wendell handled. Shit happens in Africa and you want someone stateside to help smooth things out.

Worth it, you bet your ass he was!

Posts: 952 | Location: Mass | Registered: 14 August 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of BrettAKSCI
posted Hide Post
If they are good and experienced they know things that you may not and will not if your a first time or relatively new hunter or hunting a new country. They will streamline paperwork in an efficient and timely maner. They are a good source of info when the PH can't be reached. You have someone in your corner if all goes wrong on your hunt or before your hunt. They can make reccomendation to help you find the best hunt to fit your needs. I would highly reccomend using an outfitter, but make sure they are well established and reputable. A side job outfitter is worthless. Find someone who makes it his profession. Wendell Riech, Mark Young, John Barth, and Aaron Nielson are good ones to start with. It also doesn't cost you any more money to use an outfitter.

Brett

DRSS
Life Member SCI
Life Member NRA
Life Member WSF

Rhyme of the Sheep Hunter
May fordings never be too deep, And alders not too thick; May rock slides never be too steep And ridges not too slick.
And may your bullets shoot as swell As Fred Bear's arrow's flew; And may your nose work just as well As Jack O'Connor's too.
May winds be never at your tail When stalking down the steep; May bears be never on your trail When packing out your sheep.
May the hundred pounds upon you Not make you break or trip; And may the plane in which you flew Await you at the strip.
-Seth Peterson

Posts: 4551 | Location: Alaska | Registered: 21 February 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Code4
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jeff h:
Another reason is you send someone on this side of the pond your money. Many have tried to get refunds or settle disputes in Africa with an African company. Ain't so easy to do from here. At the very lease your dealing with American law should the worst happen.
I have used Wendell many times. He is a straight shooter and would not do wrong by you.

I'm not affected by American law.

Thank you for eveybody's input. I couldn't see the use of a middle man but I can now understand where you are coming from.

Posts: 1432 | Location: Australia | Registered: 21 March 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Karoo
posted Hide Post
quote:
Are the terms "outfitter" and "booking agent" being used as one and the same here? To me an outfitter is one who runs the hunting operation on a given property, mostly in the US I suppose, and a booking agent is one who represents the outfitter or PH and books hunts for them??? To me these terms are very different. JMO

From a South African point of view, the above is correct and the two are very different. Only an Outfitter (not an independent PH) may conduct business with clients.
Many PH's are outfitters and may or may not employ more PH's.
Often, the client pays the booking agent who pays the Outfitter, who pays the PH, who pays his own skinner/tracker.
Add to this the Landowner who pays his labour a commission... and that $ gets stretched very far.

Posts: 779 | Location: Eastern Cape, South Africa | Registered: 24 December 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Andrew McLaren
posted Hide Post
Why use a HO? Simple reply: Because it is a legal requirement! Any foreign resident wishing to hunt in South Africa has to have his hunt arranged through a HO! There is absolutely no getting away from this fact!

We have 9 Provinces in South Africa: Each has its own Nature Conservation department and its own Regulations. However there are two [at least] different approaches: As example of one is the Limpopo Province. Here the regulations make provision for both Hunting Outfitters (HO) and Professional Hunters (PH’s). In contrast to this the Free State does not have any Hunting Outfitters at all and only Professional Hunters. I do know that the Eastern Cape also have both HO’s and PH’s, although in this provincial regulations a Hunting Outfitter is referred to as a Hunting Contractor (HC). I do NOT know all the different Provincial Regulations of our 9 separate provinces. Maybe the Free State is unique as the only province that does not have the HO as a separate entity. In the Free State a PH license allows one to also act as a HO: In other words arrange and offer a hunt for a foreign client.

In those provinces that have HO’s it is ALWAYS the HO that arranges the safari, takes the deposit and is in general responsible for everything, catering, vehicles, trackers, skinners, cleaning, laundry, in short EVERYTHING on the hunt. In the Free State [and maybe some other provinces?] the PH acts as a HO, even though he is not officially called by the name as a HO. This everything includes the provision of a PH: It is the PH who actually guides the client in the hunting field. To become a HO and PH exactly the same training and examinations are required, only to be registered as a HO you must have some minimum experience as a PH. Then you can buy the additional License to operate as a HO. Very often, in one-man firms, like my own, the HO acts as the PH for himself. In bigger firms a HO may have a number of full-time or part-time and freelance PH’s working for him.

The way the Free State “works around” the fact that their regulations do not provide for a separate HO is by their adoption the “Administrative and Operational Policy” that was formulated as a uniform policy for all provinces. As every single province have adopted this policy, they all in effect have HO’s, even though the actual Provincial Regulations may not even contain the word Hunting Outfitter, like in the Free State and the Eastern Cape where only the word “Hunting Contractor” appears.

A “Booking Agent” is an altogether different person. There is no prescribed examination or procedure to become a booking agent. Be warned though that the HO that appoints a Booking Agent has a number of legal obligations – which are IMHO very seldom adhered to by most Booking Agents and Hunting Outfitters. But that is a posting all on its own.

In good hunting.

Andrew McLaren

Andrew McLaren
Professional Hunter and Hunting Outfitter since 1974.

http://www.mclarensafaris.com The home page to go to for custom planning of ethical and affordable hunting of plains game in South Africa!
Enquire about any South African hunting directly from andrew@mclarensafaris.com

After a few years of participation on forums, I have learned that:

One can cure:

Lack of knowledge – by instruction. Lack of skills – by practice. Lack of experience – by time doing it.

One cannot cure:

Stupidity – nothing helps! Anti hunting sentiments – nothing helps! Put-‘n-Take Outfitters – money rules!

My very long ago ancestors needed and loved to eat meat. Today I still hunt!

Posts: 1799 | Location: Soutpan, Free State, South Africa | Registered: 19 January 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I had originally intended, and attempted, to book direct with an outfitter/owner operating in Namibia. Communication was spotty, but this was understandable considering that this gent was often in the bush hunting with clients. Since my lead time was not yet an issue, I wasn't too concerned.

As time passed, I heard less and less from this fellow, and quota availability was apparently a problem. I wanted to put a deposit down on my hunt, but was told that he would not take money until he could guarantee the client his hunt. Fair enough, an admirable stand. I waited. I was told to expect word by such-and-such a date several times, and each time the deadline passed without a word from the outfitter. All communication was initiated by me. I have never had so much trouble spending money! Bear in mind that I am in no way suggesting any shade dealings or underhandedness in this matter. Far from it, I believe the guy to be honest and trustworthy, and he's handled a lot clients who absolutely love him. I think that he's just stretched himself a little too thinly.

Eventually, when I hadn't heard a word for months, my nerve broke. I called Wendell Reich, based upon good things I had read about him here. I was able to arrange the hunt smoothly and easily. A couple of glitches came up which he explained fairly and we handled them. My hunt is now only a few weeks away. The original outfitter's final words to me were "You'll hear from me in a few weeks". That was over a year ago.

Water under the bridge. I'm going to Africa, things worked out...and I can assure anyone listening that I would NEVER again try to handle the booking of this type of trip without a booking agent!

John

Posts: 1028 | Location: Manitoba, Canada | Registered: 01 December 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of shakari
posted Hide Post
The problem with some agents is that all it takes to become one is a phone line and a website and hey presto, instant agent.

If you find a good one that knows his business, the areas he's selling and is well established with a good reputation, such as most of the ones that post here, they can be a great help but a bad one who tries to bluff his way through with misinformation and unkeepable promises etc is a real headache for everyone involved.

This might help: http://www.shakariconnection.c...nt-or-outfitter.html

one of us
Picture of 500nitro
posted Hide Post
Both Andrew and Steve have it well covered'.

In SA before the outfitter can get a licence he has to have a proven PH hunting experience of 3 years, and then has to have written consent from landowners (transfer of hunting rights) to qualify for the licence. Generally the consent needs to be from areas which have facilities acknowledged by the issuing authorities as being of a suitable standard for hosting foreign clients.
Hunting rights are also generally transferred based on the quota permits issued to the landowner by the local parks boards.

Effectively the authorities are trying to ensure that the outfitter is an experienced PH, who has the product to sell, that it is of acceptable quality and it it is legal.

Harris Safaris
PO Box 853
Gillitts
RSA 3603

www.southernafricansafaris.co.za
https://www.facebook.com/pages...=aymt_homepage_panel

"There is something about safari life that makes you forget all your sorrows and feel as if you had drunk half a bottle of champagne." - Karen Blixen,

Posts: 1069 | Location: Durban,KZN, South Africa | Registered: 16 January 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Duckear
posted Hide Post
Gives you someone else to complain about on the internet if you have any problems?
Big Grin

Hunting: Exercising dominion over creation at 2800 fps.

Posts: 3099 | Location: Southern US | Registered: 21 July 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
In most countries, the "outfitter" (ie Safari Operator, as distinct from "booking agent") owns the quota (and the hunting rights to the area). The PH either works for the outfitter as an employee, or he makes a one-off deal to hunt his client in that area. If the PH is an employee, you can't go direct. But you can deal direct with a (freelance) PH and let him deal with the outfitter/operator. If you go via the PH, you know who your guide will be but you may not know what area/camp you are hunting until you have committed and the PH has had a chance to lock in the area. If you go via the Operator, you know the camp/area but you usually don't find out who the PH will be until you show up, or shortly before. Usually, the area is more important than the PH, but there area some PHs who are so compelling that it works the other way around.

Russ Gould - Whitworth Arms LLC
BigfiveHQ.com, Large Calibers and African Safaris
Doublegunhq.com, Fine English, American and German Double Rifles and Shotguns
VH2Q.com, Varmint Rifles and Gear

Posts: 2928 | Location: Texas | Registered: 07 June 2003Reply With Quote