THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM AFRICAN HUNTING FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Hunting  Hop To Forums  African Big Game Hunting    Teddy Roosevelt African Game Trails had to.be one of the largest and greatest safari

Moderators: Saeed
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Teddy Roosevelt African Game Trails had to.be one of the largest and greatest safari
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
African Game Trails the book about Teddy Roosevelt's best hunting.trip.of his life had to be one of the biggest and longest safari trips ever .They had so.much.stuff it took 125 wagons to haul it all .He didn't run for president again because he wanted to go on.this trip before he got too old .There is another book.about this safari I forgot the name of it.I bought my ,405 Winchester 1895 because of this book .Teddy Roosevelt was pretty tough to go on this safari .He was not the best shot in the world his eye site was terrible .This would be the safari to tag along with if you could go back in time .They custom made their guns for them.Winchester talked Teddy out of using.the 1886 45-70 and taking the 1895 405 Winchester .They took some 1903 Springfields and double rifles .I know of no other safari of this magnitude ever .

Posts: 2543 | Registered: 21 December 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
The book about this safari is what hooked me. My grandmother, not related to me, but the only grandmother I ever knew, after my grandfather was widowed before I was born, had a copy of this book. She really didn't want me underfoot when I visited, as she preferred her daughter's child, but it was never a problem. She gave me that book! While I don't think her motives were completely kind-hearted, I'm eternally greatefull.

I was 8, and that started it.

Posts: 10328 | Location: Houston, Texas | Registered: 26 December 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by dgr416:
African Game Trails the book about Teddy Roosevelt's best hunting.trip.of his life had to be one of the biggest and longest safari trips ever .They had so.much.stuff it took 125 wagons to haul it all .He didn't run for president again because he wanted to go on.this trip before he got too old .There is another book.about this safari I forgot the name of it.I bought my ,405 Winchester 1895 because of this book .Teddy Roosevelt was pretty tough to go on this safari .He was not the best shot in the world his eye site was terrible .This would be the safari to tag along with if you could go back in time .They custom made their guns for them.Winchester talked Teddy out of using.the 1886 45-70 and taking the 1895 405 Winchester .They took some 1903 Springfields and double rifles .I know of no other safari of this magnitude ever .

A sort of safari/scientific expedition combined, which accounted for its epic scale, and companies were happy to get the endorsement of Teddy.

"If you’re innocent why are you taking the Fifth Amendment?”- Donald Trump

Posts: 10423 | Location: Tennessee | Registered: 09 December 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by dgr416:

His Safari, and the Worldwide press at the time, unquestionably spawned America's fascination (and the entire World's) with SAFARI......it was a massive endeavor with incredible interest.
I have numerous First Editions of this book and his others as a result. This was decades before Hemingway...Ruark...etc
Selous was before but did not bring the attention and recognition
I really like John Seerey Lester's paintings and book encapsulating some of the Safari etc. he did recently

Posts: 931 | Location: Music City USA | Registered: 09 April 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Well, when you can take Carl Akeley along as your taxidermist...

"If you’re innocent why are you taking the Fifth Amendment?”- Donald Trump

Posts: 10423 | Location: Tennessee | Registered: 09 December 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
That was one hell of a trip.
George

"Gun Control is NOT about Guns'
"It's about Control!!"
Join the NRA today!"

LM: NRA, DAV,

George L. Dwight

Posts: 6010 | Location: Pueblo, CO | Registered: 31 January 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I didn't get to go to Africa yet hopefully but I I did but my 405 Winchester because of it .I had an 1895 3006 also 1895.The amount of stuff they took and amount of game they took will never be repeated .I think it opened up.the gate to Africa .Then Martin and Osa Johnson opened it even further making.people want to go there .It was in.a total wild state back then with way more wilderness and dangers .Today the population of Africa is eating up the wilderness area so fast that in won't be long that the habitat will be gone forever !

Posts: 2543 | Registered: 21 December 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
The book is a classic of what the safaris were during that era. Only problem I have is that Roosevelt was such a poor shot and he even stated in the book that he lost a few animals because of his poor shooting. Tree huggers would have a field day with that if they were to read the book.

Posts: 205 | Registered: 09 September 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Paul C:
The book is a classic of what the safaris were during that era. Only problem I have is that Roosevelt was such a poor shot and he even stated in the book that he lost a few animals because of his poor shooting. Tree huggers would have a field day with that if they were to read the book.

You are correct. It's kind of funny comparatively. This is true in all his books...
They thought nothing of simply "putting a bullet" in any animal and just following them up... using horses and dogs to chase the animal...shoot mass quantities of ducks...run down Turkeys
It was a different era but it is also, frankly, indicative of the "less effective" weapons and bullets they used along with the culture.

Posts: 931 | Location: Music City USA | Registered: 09 April 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Michael Robinson
posted Hide Post
They don't make them like T.R. anymore.

They broke the mould.

Mike

Wilderness is my cathedral, and hunting is my prayer.

Posts: 13625 | Location: New England | Registered: 06 June 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Today the population of Africa is eating up the wilderness area so fast that in won't be long that the habitat will be gone forever !

An absolute fact and which is where the animal lovers should be focusing their attention instead of laying the blame on and persecuting conservation-minded hunters who are pursuing an ancestral sport within legal frameworks.

Posts: 2036 | Registered: 06 September 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
He didn't run for president again because he wanted to go on.this trip before he got too old .

Unfortunately he did run for president after that expedition in 1912. He ran as a third party candidate which got Woodrow Wilson elected.

After the election, Roosevelt and one of his sons explored an until-then unchartered tributary of the Amazon. The "River of Doubt" tells that story, and if you like Roosevelt, you'll love that book.

Posts: 66 | Location: Cheyenne, WY | Registered: 15 August 2003Reply With Quote