THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM AFRICAN HUNTING FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Hunting  Hop To Forums  African Big Game Hunting    The African Safari Workout? What is yours?

Moderators: Saeed
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

The African Safari Workout? What is yours?
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of JohnCrighton
posted
What do you do to physically condition yourself? I have 18-22 months to go, and would like to be in good shape for this.

I'm 6'1, 220 (sounds heavy, but I have a very long frame, pretty muscled thighs and calves). I am an x-ray tech, which means I'm on my feet a lot, all over the hospital, and lift patients in excess of 800 pounds sometimes. I walk about 1.5-2 miles every day with my dogs at a moderate clip. I kayak every few weeks as well.

My BP is 107/71, resting heartrate is 65, do not take any meds at all, and recently got a clean bill of health with all bloodwork perfect and a cholesterol level of 150.

What would you say is most important for conditioning?

_____________________________________________________________________________________________________
Far better is it to dare mighty things, to win glorius triumphs, even though checkered by failure... than to rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy nor suffer much, because they live in a gray twilight that knows not victory nor defeat. - Theodore Roosevelt

Posts: 555 | Location: Tampa, FL | Registered: 09 November 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Mike_Dettorre
posted Hide Post
well...you sound in decent shape...I would say that if you get up to doing 5 miles on the treadmill in under 60 minutes a combination of running/walking and you are doing that 4 times a week...you be in plenty good shape.

Throw in working up to 75 pushups in 3 sets of 25 4 times a week and you will be all set.

Mike

Never under estimate the internet community's ability to reply to your post with their personal rant about their tangentially related, single occurrence issue.

What I have learned on AR, since 2001:
1. The proper answer to: Where is the best place in town to get a steak dinner? is…You should go to Mel's Diner and get the fried chicken.
2. Big game animals can tell the difference between .015 of an inch in diameter, 15 grains of bullet weight, and 150 fps.
3. There is a difference in the performance of two identical projectiles launched at the same velocity if they came from different cartridges.
4. While a double rifle is the perfect DGR, every 375HH bolt gun needs to be modified to carry at least 5 down.
5. While a floor plate and detachable box magazine both use a mechanical latch, only the floor plate latch is reliable. Disregard the fact that every modern military rifle uses a detachable box magazine.
6. The Remington 700 is unreliable regardless of the fact it is the basis of the USMC M40 sniper rifle for 40+ years with no changes to the receiver or extractor and is the choice of more military and law enforcement sniper units than any other rifle.
7. PF actions are not suitable for a DGR and it is irrelevant that the M1, M14, M16, & AK47 which were designed for hunting men that can shoot back are all PF actions.
8. 95 deg F in Africa is different than 95 deg F in TX or CA and that is why you must worry about ammunition temperature in Africa (even though most safaris take place in winter) but not in TX or in CA.
9. The size of a ding in a gun's finish doesn't matter, what matters is whether it’s a safe ding or not.
10. 1 in a row is a trend, 2 in a row is statistically significant, and 3 in a row is an irrefutable fact.
11. Never buy a WSM or RCM cartridge for a safari rifle or your go to rifle in the USA because if they lose your ammo you can't find replacement ammo but don't worry 280 Rem, 338-06, 35 Whelen, and all Weatherby cartridges abound in Africa and back country stores.
12. A well hit animal can run 75 yds. in the open and suddenly drop with no initial blood trail, but the one I shot from 200 yds. away that ran 10 yds. and disappeared into a thicket and was not found was lost because the bullet penciled thru. I am 100% certain of this even though I have no physical evidence.
13. A 300 Win Mag is a 500 yard elk cartridge but a 308 Win is not a 300 yard elk cartridge even though the same bullet is travelling at the same velocity at those respective distances.

Posts: 10094 | Location: Loving retirement in Boise, ID | Registered: 16 December 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Practice crouching and duckwalking or your back will be sore after a day or two of stalking.

Posts: 550 | Location: Augusta,GA | Registered: 01 September 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of zimbabwe
posted Hide Post
When I first went to Africa I was 64 years old a diabetic, have been hypertensive and medicated for it since 15 yers old, have been bothered by arthritis seriously since 17 years old. At that tme I walked 5 miles daily and 10 miles on the weekend. Job was in Information systems and rather sedentary. Had absolutely no trouble in Africa. This gradually dropped to 3 miles a day and the meds increased and I began taking Insulin twice daily. Continued to go to Africa but didn't walk nearly as far or fast as before. Today at 74 I walk 2 miles per day am retired and don't think I could make it hunting in Africa as old age has caught up. I found in my 8 safaris that the hardest thing was to keep up with the PH in both speed and distance. I believe that is the most important aspect of hunting in Africa, the ability to walk great distances at a moderately fast pace. I found the speed of the pace to be the factor I was not prepared for. When I hunt here in US whether for quail or deer I seem to rather amble as there is no real urgency to walk fast. If you can make 10 miles at a pretty good pace, say 4 mph regularly, you would have no problems at all. The only load you will have is your rifle and Binos and ALL the heavy lifting will be done by the PH and trackers. I'm 6'1" and was about 240 at the time and have even had the PH CARRY me over a stream rather than have to wade it, they are that accomodating to your comfort. Shooting is a given and you must be familiar with your firearm but I can't imagine a true hunter not being. I would just continue to walk and maybe up the distance and pace a little.

SCI Life Member
NRA Patron Life Member
DRSS

Posts: 2786 | Location: Green Valley,Az | Registered: 04 January 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of SBT
posted Hide Post
John, I just looked at the number of posts on this page alone by you. I think you've got it bad. Welcome to the club.

"There are worse memorials to a life well-lived than a pair of elephant tusks." Robert Ruark

Posts: 4780 | Location: Story, WY / San Carlos, Sonora, MX | Registered: 29 May 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of JohnCrighton
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by SBT:
John, I just looked at the number of posts on this page alone by you. I think you've got it bad. Welcome to the club.

LOL - my wife today said, "You have changed over the past few days. You are REALLY excited about this, aren't you?"

Yes, I really am. I can't stop thinking about it now, all the time. You guys are right - I've never had crack cocaine, but I think I understand how it feels now!

_____________________________________________________________________________________________________
Far better is it to dare mighty things, to win glorius triumphs, even though checkered by failure... than to rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy nor suffer much, because they live in a gray twilight that knows not victory nor defeat. - Theodore Roosevelt

One of Us
Picture of MJines
posted Hide Post
I would start with two beers a day until you are comfortable with that level. Then slowly work your way up, one beer at a time, to six or seven beers a day, plus a glass or two of wine. Might throw in the occasional cigar or two on days you really feel like pressing yourself. Stay with the routine and you will be ready to go. Wink

Mike

Posts: 21373 | Registered: 03 January 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of JohnCrighton
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by MJines:
I would start with two beers a day until you are comfortable with that level. Then slowly work your way up, one beer at a time, to six or seven beers a day, plus a glass or two of wine. Might throw in the occasional cigar or two on days you really feel like pressing yourself. Stay with the routine and you will be ready to go. Wink

LOL - trust me, I know a LOT about drinking alcohol, but I take it in moderation and never have more than 2 drinks a day, but they are generally all very premium brands.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
For plains game hunting in Namibia or RSA your current activities will be fine. If you hunt the mountains of RSA, do some stair stepper activities or bicycling to build up your quads. The altitude and climbing broke my hump in Zim and walking and stalking in the Winterberg at 5500ft. Of course, I live at sea level in a very flat part of the country which makes "mountaineering" more difficult.

In preparing for my elephant hunt, I worked up to two to three five mile brisk walks per week carry a ten pound dumbbell (folks in my neighborhood would have been distressed by my 416!) This regimen was adequate for my hunt which was the hardest hunting that I have done. By day ten, I was really feeling my 65 years. Those extra hikes had increased my endurance sufficiently that I could hang in there.

I do thirty minute of intense weight training twice a week, and this keeps me flexible and "strong." This type of activity is the only thing I see missing in your current routine. Upper body strength helps in controlling a rifle. Kudude

Posts: 1473 | Location: Tallahassee, Florida | Registered: 04 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Bahati
posted Hide Post
John

800 pounds - Are you serious?! That is a serious lump of human.

Walk more if you want. You'll be just fine. Where are you going?

Johan

One of Us
Picture of CARLOSTHEJACKAL
posted Hide Post
I am 36, 5'10" and 190lbs and in great physical shape. 2 years prior to my safari, I hired a personal trainer twice a week for weight training. The rest of the week I did some type of cardio (stair climber, walking dog, jogging). The cardio session usually lasted 1-2 hours. My safari was this past september in Zim for buff,croc and plainsgame(10 day hunt). We did lots and lots of walking. The PH and trackers are well conditioned and I, at times, found it difficult to keep up with them. My best suggestion is to walk 4 to 6 times a week, 3 to 5 miles, at a high pace. Also, if you have an old thumb rifle stock, put some type of metal filler to duplicate the weight of a rifle and practice carrying it for the above stated distances. This will help condition you and make your safari more enjoyable.

NRA Life Member
DSC Life Member

Government exists to protect us from each other. Where government has gone beyond its limits is in deciding to protect us from ourselves.
Ronald Reagan

Posts: 486 | Location: SE TEXAS | Registered: 26 June 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Take a 4 foot piece of 2" PVC pipe, fill it with wet sand and glue on the end caps. Heavier than a rifle and more acceptable to the neighbors when walking around the block......

Never follow a bad move with a stupid move.

Posts: 217 | Location: Clute, TX USA | Registered: 23 June 2006Reply With Quote
Picture of Canuck
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by mrfudd:
Practice crouching and duckwalking or your back will be sore after a day or two of stalking.

x2

Add in some crawling with a rifle too...a couple hundred metres of that will tire you out pretty quick too.

Cheers,
Canuck

Posts: 7121 | Location: The Rock (southern V.I.) | Registered: 27 February 2001Reply With Quote
Picture of Canuck
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Caretaker:
Take a 4 foot piece of 2" PVC pipe, fill it with wet sand and glue on the end caps. Heavier than a rifle and more acceptable to the neighbors when walking around the block......

Not a bad idea! I carried a 12 lb dumbell around on my walks/hikes....a 2" PVC pipe would look more like a hiking stick at least!

Cheers,
Canuck

Posts: 7121 | Location: The Rock (southern V.I.) | Registered: 27 February 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of namibiahunter
posted Hide Post
You mean you don't just take the bolt out of your .416 before you go walking around the neighborhood? dancing No wonder the streets are deserted.

I think that walking is the most essential and best exercise one can do for yourself when getting ready for Africa. My wife and I try to do 6 miles a day, 5 days a weeks. Upper body exercises are fine but you won't have to be doing any heavy lifting there unless you really want to get into the spirit of the thing. I think I sweated more preparing for Alaska (and its tussocks) than I did for Africa. I'm 64 now and the Kalahari, even 6 miles at 100 degrees F is not uncomfortable for me.

I would recommend you taking a stress test and a complete physical checkup at least 6 months prior to your departure.

Namibiahunter

Posts: 665 | Location: Oregon or Namibia | Registered: 13 June 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of ozhunter
posted Hide Post
Walking for a couple hours a day on uneven ground like a beach with a light Gym weight or weighted pipe is good.

Posts: 5886 | Location: Sydney,Australia  | Registered: 03 July 2005Reply With Quote
Administrator
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by JohnCrighton:
What do you do to physically condition yourself? I have 18-22 months to go, and would like to be in good shape for this.

I'm 6'1, 220 (sounds heavy, but I have a very long frame, pretty muscled thighs and calves). I am an x-ray tech, which means I'm on my feet a lot, all over the hospital, and lift patients in excess of 800 pounds sometimes. I walk about 1.5-2 miles every day with my dogs at a moderate clip. I kayak every few weeks as well.

My BP is 107/71, resting heartrate is 65, do not take any meds at all, and recently got a clean bill of health with all bloodwork perfect and a cholesterol level of 150.

If you can lift an 800 pound person, you do not need any further workout clap

www.accuratereloading.com
Instagram : ganyana2000

Posts: 67368 | Location: Dubai, UAE | Registered: 08 January 1998Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of TJ
posted Hide Post
Get a second job and save the money for trophy fees. Cool

Posts: 948 | Location: Kenai, Ak. USA | Registered: 05 November 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of mouse93
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Canuck:
quote:
Originally posted by mrfudd:

x2

Add in some crawling with a rifle too...a couple hundred metres of that will tire you out pretty quick too.

Cheers,
Canuck

thumb

Posts: 2028 | Location: Slovenia | Registered: 28 April 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
john: from viewing your posts it seems to me that you are worrying too much. You know if you are in shape or not: remember, you are going hunting for relaxation and enjoyment, not combat. You can set whatever pace is comfortable for you; you will bring things you don't need and leave things that you should have brought. None of the above should affect your enjoyment of the hunt. My advise, free of course, is plan the best you can, relax and enjoy yourself.

Posts: 1138 | Location: St. Thomas, VI | Registered: 04 July 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of JohnCrighton
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Bahati:
John

800 pounds - Are you serious?! That is a serious lump of human.

Walk more if you want. You'll be just fine. Where are you going?

Am hoping to go to RSA for my only safari (yeah, right - let's call it my "Really, honey, this will be the only safari I ever do in (whispered voice "South")) AFRICA!"

Yeah, I don't think I'll have to worry about freezing up if I see a very large African animal of any type up close. After having to sling around and be in the presence of that 830 pound mass of humanity ("Oh, the Humanity!") my perspective has changed on what is "big" and what is "BIG!"

I'm still amazed I was able to slide xray cassettes underneath her and take a decent x-ray. My heart goes out to the poor nurse who had to clean that patient - ewwwwwwwwwwwwwwww.

One of Us
Picture of JohnCrighton
posted Hide Post
Well, I didn't lift her up totally, per se, but had to slide xray cassettes underneath, which necessitates lifting her enough to form a space under her back, where the majority of the weight was. I swear, her breasts were the size and weight of large dogs.

Although yesterday I did have to squat down on a bathroom floor, straddle a 325 pounder, wrap my arms around her, and lift her up to a standing position - she was total dead-weight and couldn't assist. I'm amazed my back doesn't hurt.

quote:
Originally posted by Saeed:
quote:
Originally posted by JohnCrighton:

If you can lift an 800 pound person, you do not need any further workout clap

One of Us
Picture of Msichana
posted Hide Post
John,

I'm so excited that you're excited to hunt in Africa. It really is an amazing experience!

I would also recommend doing the stair stepper while carrying something that is equivalent weight of your rifle. There are many places in RSA that are very very rocky... straight treadmill will help with Cardio, but doing some sort of stair stepper can some-what mimic the motion your legs will go through while walking up and down rocky hills/mountains.

Smiler

Posts: 122 | Location: Tucson, AZ | Registered: 20 December 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
John you are already in better shape than the average client. I don't think you will have much trouble in RSA or Namibia. If you were going to the Zim Escarpment...well, that's hard on everyone including the PH...but you will never pass the trackers who are smoking their cigs wrapped with newspaper and full color magazine pages! Eeker

Posts: 4168 | Location: Texas | Registered: 18 June 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I walk 8 to 10 miles on steep hills as least 3 times a week. Hunted the Zim escarpment last August. 6500 feet of elevation was tough.

Dave

Posts: 2086 | Location: Seattle Washington, USA | Registered: 19 January 2004Reply With Quote