THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM AFRICAN HUNTING FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Hunting  Hop To Forums  African Big Game Hunting    Ministry of Tourism issues Guildelines: Only 24 Lions to be hunted this year

Moderators: Saeed
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Ministry of Tourism issues Guildelines: Only 24 Lions to be hunted this year
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
https://www.lusakatimes.com/20...4-lions-hunted-year/

Ministry of Tourism issues Guildelines: Only 24 Lions to be hunted this year

April 13, 2016

Trophy hunters have received guidelines from Ministry of Tourism’s and Arts’ Department National Parks and Wildlife (DNPW) as a measure to direct and regulate hunting of big cats.

This follows Tourism and Arts Minister Jean Kapata’s lifting the suspension on hunting of big cats in May last year to allow it in this year’s hunting season.

In a speech read for her at the cat hunting training workshop at Lusaka’s Cresta Golfview Hotel by Tourism and Arts Permanent Secretary Stephen Mwansa, Ms Kapata noted that Trophy hunting contributes significantly to wildlife conservation and to the socio-economic well being of our people.

She asserted that the hunting is one of the conservation tools and a good example of successful private-public partnerships that sustainably support the conservation of wildlife in Game Management Areas (GMAs) in Zambia.

The Minister said that without trophy hunting, most of our wildlife in GMAs could have been decimated by now.

She noted that hunting plays a very critical role in protecting the wilderness in GMAs and therefore, ecosystem provide goods and services the wilderness to our people.

Meanwhile, DNPW Director Paul Zyambo said in 2012 Zambia instituted a moratorium on cat hunting because there was no proper system in place to ensure that cat hunting was sustainable.
Leopard hunting resumed last year and this year 2016, lion hunting will re-open in following a three-year moratorium.
The conditions the minister set for lifting the ban on cat hunting were to set a cautionary quota, hunt old lions with diminished biological function and to develop guidelines on lion hunting.

He said DNPW has a maximum quota of 24 lions for the year. The basis of issuing the quotas was prey availability and quotas based on land area at a rate of one lion per 1000 square kilometre in prime hunting areas and 1 lion per 2000 square kilometre in secondary hunting areas.

The cautionary quota the department is following is the lowest the country has issued in the last fifteen years. It is critical that we continue to follow a cautionary quota until we are satisfied that the measures we have put in place will not harm the population.

Among the among the guidelines is that the professional hunters are only allowed to hunt lion of six years and above and that no female lions will be hunted.

There are also penalties for hunting under-aged lions and female which including lifting of hunting licenses for erring hunters.

Kathi

kathi@wildtravel.net
708-425-3552

"The world is a book, and those who do not travel read only one page."

Posts: 9502 | Location: Chicago | Registered: 23 July 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Skyline
posted Hide Post
Be interesting to hear how the aging of the lions is going to work, and is it cut and dried, has to be 6 or older? What if the lion is 5?

How are the penalties assessed and to whom? I am thinking hunters and PH's might be a little nervous with this until they publicize how they plan on assessing and enforcing the age restriction on the lions killed. The "lifting of hunting licenses for erring hunters" means what exactly?

Lets face it, the client depends on the PH to make the right call.......... not like the client knows a whole lot about aging lions. As we have seem on here repeatedly, a lot of the PH's aren't 100% bang on with aging.

There are sure to be situations where the PH's know some local lions on sight and know how old they are because they have known those particular cats for a long time. I am sure Andrew probably has this sort of a situation, but that isn't always going to be the case.

The power of accurate observation is frequently called cynicism by those who are bereft of that gift.

Posts: 1849 | Location: Northern Rockies, BC | Registered: 21 July 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of boarkiller
posted Hide Post
Good luck on that aging...
Maybe I can see guidelines,but strict rules?
Nobody can ever be sure 100%

" Until the day breaks and the nights shadows flee away " Big ivory for my pillow and 2.5% of Neanderthal DNA flowing thru my veins.
When I'm ready to go, pack a bag of gunpowder up my ass and strike a fire to my pecker, until I squeal like a boar.
Yours truly , Milan The Boarkiller - World according to Milan
PS I have big boar on my floor...but it ain't dead, just scared to move...

Man should be happy and in good humor until the day he dies...
Only fools hope to live forever
“ Hávamál”

Posts: 13376 | Location: In mountains behind my house hunting or drinking beer in Blacksmith Brewery in Stevensville MT or holed up in Lochsa | Registered: 27 December 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of fairgame
posted Hide Post
Recommendations are being forwarded by both the Safari Operators and PH Associations regards the guidelines.

The shooting of young Lions is no longer tolerated and could incur stiff penalties and loss of license.

Good on Zambia and very encouraging news.

ROYAL KAFUE LTD
Email - kafueroyal@gmail.com
Tel/Whatsapp (00260) 975315144
Instagram - kafueroyal

Posts: 9983 | Location: Zambia | Registered: 10 April 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
After the Cecil fooferah, I dont think youll find 24 people from the US or Europe that would shoot one.To much bullcrap and demonization of hunters of late. No one wants the crap.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I would shoot one with a reputable operator. I guess I wouldn't want my life ruined like the dentist, but that deal must have been a bit of a circus from the word go?

Posts: 1020 | Location: Imperial, NE | Registered: 05 January 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Carl Frederik Nagell
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by dande_jack:
After the Cecil fooferah, I dont think youll find 24 people from the US or Europe that would shoot one.To much bullcrap and demonization of hunters of late. No one wants the crap.

I shot a lion with CMS in October. I have been 100% open about it with friends, at my work and customers. I have published a hunt report here on AR with my full name. I have not had as much as one negative comment from anybody.

Good hunting

Carl Frederik

Posts: 490 | Location: Denmark | Registered: 04 March 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of fairgame
posted Hide Post
quote:

Wrong. These quotas have been sold out or reserved long ago and they would seem to be sought after by a majority of good folk from America.

Zambia is bending over backwards to commit to USF&W policy and have just come out of a 3 year moratorium. In addition the quotas are cautionary and there will be age restrictions and stiff penalties/conditions attached.

ROYAL KAFUE LTD
Instagram - kafueroyal

One of Us
Picture of fairgame
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Carl Frederik Nagell:
quote:

I shot a lion with CMS in October. I have been 100% open about it with friends, at my work and customers. I have published a hunt report here on AR with my full name. I have not had as much as one negative comment from anybody.

Good hunting

Carl Frederik

Way to go Carl. However the advertising of one's Lion trophy is really up to the individual.

ROYAL KAFUE LTD
Instagram - kafueroyal

One of Us
Picture of Thunder Head
posted Hide Post
After a 3 year break I would think there is a great opportunity to take a huge old cat. If I only had the time and money.

Andrew,
Are you familiar enough with any of the Lions at Kafue to guarantee 6+ old?

I have walked in the foot prints of the elephant, listened to lion roar and met the buffalo on his turf. I shall never be the same.

Posts: 813 | Location: In the shadow of Currahee | Registered: 29 January 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of fairgame
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Thunder Head:
After a 3 year break I would think there is a great opportunity to take a huge old cat. If I only had the time and money.

Andrew,
Are you familiar enough with any of the Lions at Kafue to guarantee 6+ old?

Both these would fit in that category this year and our biggest male is still with a pride and unfortunately I do not have a good photo of him but he looks to be well past 6.

ROYAL KAFUE LTD
Instagram - kafueroyal

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Kudos to Zambia for reopening lion hunting and for working with all parties to come up with rules to ensure it remains sustainable.

Hope to see some pics of some mature lions from Zambia this year.

The danger of civilization, of course, is that you will piss away your life on nonsense

Posts: 782 | Location: Baltimore, MD | Registered: 22 July 2005Reply With Quote