New
Find
Notify
Tools

Re: Muzzle Brakes
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
This idea that hunters who use breaks are doing so because they are overgunned is total nonsense. I have Vais brakes on my .243 Ackley and even on my 6BR. Why? Because I happened to acquire them and decided to put them on and try them out. You can easily see your hits through the scope. My buddies and I used to fight over who got to shoot, not because we wanted to be the ones shooting. We fought about who would get to watch!

Let's face it, we all make choices and use different equipment. Some of us are better riflemen than others, some of us can handle more recoil than others, some of us just like to buy stuff and try stuff. We are all different and are entitled to express that last time I checked. As far as I am concerned the PH should make sure to specify that before hand. In fact, I dare them to! I can tell you this though... Unless you are bloody famous as a PH, if you told me I couldn't use a rifle with a brake, I would likely use someone else, simply because I don't like being told what I can use. We have enough goddamn government regs here in Canada already without PH's telling me what I can use too.

That being said, if I was politely asked if I had a brake on, and politely asked if it was too much trouble would I remove it for the hunt, and poltiely explained why, and that explanation satisifed me as a reasonable person (was not unreasonable according to my knowledge of my equipment and how it would be used on the hunt), then I would likley consider it. Someone who outright said they would not allow any hunter who uses a brake to hunt with them I would consider very arrogant, and would give bring up a red flag for me. I suspect many hunters would feel the same way.

Posts: 244 | Location: Winnipeg, Canada | Registered: 02 December 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Quote:

When I am at the range, sooner or later I get one of these braked rifles next to me and today was such a day. Some of you pointed out that ear plugs and ear muffs do not do that good of a job in reducing noise and you are right.

Two weeks ago I was at the range and got stuck between a guy with short barreled ported (braked) 375H&H and the other side was a ported short barreled 450 Marlin. Worst range day I've ever had. I only had ear muffs (29 dbl) and my ears were ringing at the end of the session for the rest of the day. Everytime one of those guys would touch one of the loud rascals off, not only would it hurt my ears, but I'd feel the concussion. I won't be shooting next to a ported gun anymore.

Posts: 1508 | Location: Alaska | Registered: 09 August 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Sounds reasonable to me. Beauty is as does, etc..

Has the ATF defined what level of sound is permitted without calling the device a supressor, or the rifle supressed?

JCN

Posts: 7158 | Location: Snake River | Registered: 02 February 2004Reply With Quote