THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM AFRICAN HUNTING FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Hunting  Hop To Forums  African Big Game Hunting    Has anyone used the Nosler Accu Bond Bullet in Africa

Moderators: Saeed
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Has anyone used the Nosler Accu Bond Bullet in Africa
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Please share your results.

Thanks,
Ahmed

Posts: 214 | Location: Virginia, USA | Registered: 26 June 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I just got back from Africa using the 180 Accu Bond in my 300 Win at 2900 fps, and was "impressed" with their performance.

We recovered 2 bullets, and they were well mushroomed, and retained about 68% to 70% of their weight and plan on using them again next year.

Remember, forgivness is easier to get than permission.

Posts: 3994 | Location: Hudsonville MI USA | Registered: 08 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Terry,
What game did you take with them? I used Barnes 160gr TSX in my 7mmRemMag, and I was not happy with them. While all of my animals were "dead", I feel that they are much too hard for most plains game. I killed 2 Kudu, 2 Gemsbuck, a Mtn Zebra, Springbuck, 2 Impala, 3 Warthogs, Red Hartebeast, and a huge Eland. All of the bullets exited with dime sized exits on all of the animals, except for 2 broadside shots on my Eland (which were recovered under the skin on the off side)and a front chest shot on the Zebra. The bullets looked like the ad's from the barnes catalog, but I would have liked more expansion. I made perfect double lung shots on my gemsbucks, kudu's, and hartebeast, but all of them ran a long way....the gemsbuck almost a mile. I feel that the TSX is more like a fmj bullet. I am not trashing the TSX, it shoots sub moa out of my factory M70, but I think, IMO, it should only be used on game like Eland-size and up. I hope you X fans don't gang up on me, this is just my observation/opinion after killing quite a few animals with it. Wolf

Posts: 6080 | Location: New York City "The Concrete Jungle" | Registered: 04 May 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Rusty
posted Hide Post
Here is a link to a thread by BobC of this forum.

He had great success with the Accubond in his 375 H&H.
Accubond

Rusty
We Band of Brothers!
DRSS, NRA & SCI Life Member

"I am rejoiced at my fate. Do not be uneasy about me, for I am with my friends."
----- David Crockett in his last letter (to his children), January 9th, 1836
"I will never forsake Texas and her cause. I am her son." ----- Jose Antonio Navarro, from Mexican Prison in 1841
"for I have sworn upon the altar of god eternal hostility against every form of tyranny over the mind of man." Thomas Jefferson
Declaration of Arbroath April 6, 1320-“. . .It is not for glory, nor riches, nor honours that we are fighting, but for freedom - for that alone, which no honest man gives up but with life itself.”

Posts: 9797 | Location: Missouri City, Texas | Registered: 21 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Terry, what was your load combo for the 300 win mag?

Ahmed

Posts: 214 | Location: Virginia, USA | Registered: 26 June 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I used them on my trip to Namibia last year and was impressed by their performance. My PH's like them extremely well also. Game harvested was 2 kudu, 2 gemsbok, 2 hartebeest, 2 warthog, Burchells zebra, blue WB, impala, springbok, and blesbok. Only recovered a bullet from both the zebra and WB; all others left 3/4 inch exits. Most animals dropped in their tracks. Will use them this year in Idaho for Fall bear and elk. Recovered weights from all penetration testing and animals was 65-70% and expansion was approximately .70 caliber.

Posts: 1517 | Location: Idaho Falls, Idaho | Registered: 03 June 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
What Rusty said! Great penetration in the 375, good mushrooms, most of the bullets sailed off into the brush.

Rusty, I got the ramp hoods from Midway. I may go over to Bayou rifles on Sunday morning. You up for a shoot and I'll bring it along. If not, lets see if we can cross paths in the next week or two. Bob

Posts: 1286 | Location: Houston, TX | Registered: 20 October 2000Reply With Quote
<mikeh416Rigby>
posted
quote:
Originally posted by Wolfgar:
Terry,
What game did you take with them? I used Barnes 160gr TSX in my 7mmRemMag, and I was not happy with them. While all of my animals were "dead", I feel that they are much too hard for most plains game. I killed 2 Kudu, 2 Gemsbuck, a Mtn Zebra, Springbuck, 2 Impala, 3 Warthogs, Red Hartebeast, and a huge Eland. All of the bullets exited with dime sized exits on all of the animals, except for 2 broadside shots on my Eland (which were recovered under the skin on the off side)and a front chest shot on the Zebra. The bullets looked like the ad's from the barnes catalog, but I would have liked more expansion. I made perfect double lung shots on my gemsbucks, kudu's, and hartebeast, but all of them ran a long way....the gemsbuck almost a mile. I feel that the TSX is more like a fmj bullet. I am not trashing the TSX, it shoots sub moa out of my factory M70, but I think, IMO, it should only be used on game like Eland-size and up. I hope you X fans don't gang up on me, this is just my observation/opinion after killing quite a few animals with it. Wolf

Wolfgar-if you got dime size exit wounds from a 7mm, IMO that's pretty good. It's almost double the original diameter.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Mike,
My cousin used same 7mm, 160gr partitions, and the exits were easily 2 to 3 times the size of mine. Easier blood trails, and less distance traveled with similar shots.

Posts: 6080 | Location: New York City "The Concrete Jungle" | Registered: 04 May 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I took a coe elk last year at 300 or so yards, down hill shot, in 375 H&H .It cliped the front leg and was deflected down and intered just above the Sterm.I created a major wound chanel that took out bottom of the heart. No blood trail found, she ran maybe 40 yards.It did not track straight so I did not bring them to Africa in june. My rifle shot 270 Tsx 1/2 moa, amd my 416 shot 350 gr a litter tighter than1/2.moa. My wife shot a 3006 with barnes X and noisler partions.All animals shot high shoulder dropped to the shot and required a finisher, those shot in heart ran off and were found dead.The TSX don't dump all ther energy on plains game in 375 or 416 dia,they track straight no mater what the angle. A blue wildebeest shot throught the heart with 416 ran 175 yards a blind man could have followed the blood trail,a zebra shot through the ham and out midribcage off side ran 250 yrds.(same load
as the wildebeest.)My wife's zebra was shot with a 3006 180 gr partation high in shoulder it droped to the shot,the shank was found in the offside mid chest the front partion was gone. If you wish to shoot no matter the angle go barnes TSX, if you like the effects higher energy dumps go with the accubond. In 13 plains game shot only one TSX recovered in the Eland , a second shot into the shoulder of the eland was a pass through.

JD
JD
and pick a broad side shot

DRSS
9.3X74 tika 512
9.3X74 SXS
Merkel 140 in 470 Nitro

One of Us
posted Hide Post
JD,
Your experiences sound similar to mine, I agree.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
IMHO a 375 or 416 is not needed to hunt any plainsgame. Are they steeped with tradition,yes they are. Is it more caliber than needed, yes it is.
Rather than take marginal shots with a heavy caliber (from any angle) such as shooting a zebra in a ham out the guts why not take a deep breath and wait for a better angle or pass an keep searching?
Any caliber with good bullet construction over 270 can and has killed every plains game animal in Africa. The AccuBonds qualify as a well constructed bullet as do many others. I do an awful lot of reloading and shooting. My selection for plains game is 300 Win Mag./165 AccuBond/64.5 gr 4350=2950FPS. More than adaquate for any animal up to and including Greater Eland.

one of us
Picture of WyoJoe
posted Hide Post
There is an article on them over on http://www.24hourcampfire.com/

There comes a time when one must take a position that is neither safe, nor polite, nor popular -- but one must ask, "Is it right?"

Martin Luther King, Jr.

Posts: 1172 | Location: Cheyenne, WY | Registered: 15 March 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Wolfgar:
Terry,

I don't like TSX in caliber smaller than 30, and prefer 338 on up for them. One gets much larger frontal area, and better killing performance.

On this last trip, I took 6 Blesbok, 2 Kudu, 3 Impala, 1 Fallow Deer,1 Lynx, 1 Springbok, and 1 Bue Wildebeest witht 180 Accu Bond.

We recoverd 2 of them, and they were perfect mushrooms, weighing about 130 gr.

Posts: 3994 | Location: Hudsonville MI USA | Registered: 08 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Ahmed Niazi:
Terry, what was your load combo for the 300 win mag?

Ahmed

My combo was R-P Nickle brass, with CCI 250 and 73 gr of Rel 25 for 2900 fps.

An alternate load would be 69 gr of Rel 22.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Cats you have misread my post, the shot on the zebra traveled through the liver,took out one lung and damageded the other. That Zebra was the brother of the one my wife took. It had been running the property mourning and calling for his running mate. That was the only shot offered after several stalks,I knew with out question the load would do the job. So I ended his mourning. He was on his feet 45 sec or so before droping. The larger plains game shot where bone or CNS is not involved act as if shot by a bow or black powder. They run to they bleed out. The 270 can kill every thing out there with enough bullet and good placement.The 30 cal are a wiser choice.These animals travel in groups , tracking is easier with two holes,and is even easer when they start out 40 cal. I used the big guns mostly to see if I could
The 270 gr 375 did not shot as flat as I would have like, the 416 rem mag with 350 did a lot better for me. All my animals were recovered, shots were from 150 to over 300 yards, all shots taken off hand. We shot a Elland, Kudu, 3 Gemsbuck, 3 zebra, Hartebeest, 2 blue and a black wildebesst, Blesbuck, and Spring buck. All but 3 dropped at the shot.

JD

DRSS
9.3X74 tika 512
9.3X74 SXS
Merkel 140 in 470 Nitro