New
Find
Notify
Tools

Zim safety for this summer?
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Just when you think it is safe to go outside, this BS springs up (ref. earlier post about poaching ring)!

I have read that article. Is this any reason for concern?

Forum???

Thanks,

Jeff

one of us
Picture of Widowmaker416
posted Hide Post
I hope not Jeff, I'm going over in about 6 weeks!

To be honest, I've been on 5 safaris, 4 after the land Bull S*** started, I've never had a bad time, never had any problems with anyone, except that Buffalo, he gave me a bit of a time!

So, I'm packing and I'm getting on that plane at JFK on May 4th!!!

"America's Meat - - - SPAM"

As always, Good Hunting!!!

Widowmaker416

Posts: 1782 | Location: New Jersey USA | Registered: 12 July 2004Reply With Quote
Picture of T.Carr
posted Hide Post
I'm headed to ZIM this summer (was there 2 years ago). There is nothing new going on in ZIM that would concern me.

Regards,

Terry

Msasi haogopi mwiba [A hunter is not afraid of thorns]

Posts: 5338 | Location: A Texan in the Missouri Ozarks | Registered: 02 February 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of retreever
posted Hide Post
Been there, heard it and did not find any...When you are going you will see absolutely no problem...Ph's pick you up in the airport and take you to camp...I would not want to be driving around Harare at dusk nor would I want to drive around LA or NYC at dusk...

Mike

Michael Podwika... DRSS bigbores and hunting www.pvt.co.za " MAKE THE SHOT " 450#2 Famars

Posts: 6768 | Location: Wyoming, Pa. USA | Registered: 17 April 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Mike,

Going in June...Not too worried either, but thought I'd ask around anyway.

Jeff

one of us
posted Hide Post
Mike,

YES worry! Infact you should be so worried that you'd be better off letting me take your hunt. I'll give you a detailed after action report.

To be perfectly serious however, I was in Zim last summer and wouldn't hesitate to return this year. Heck Zim is ALWAYS FUBAR politically and you'll be carrying a gun.

Go hunt have a great time.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Better check with the State Department. they have put a 'do not travel' on Zim.. Now allot of people have ignored these in the past, including myself, with no ill effects. Still, you should be aware of it.

It is said to run up through the elections.

Posts: 6277 | Location: Not Likely, but close. | Registered: 12 August 2002Reply With Quote
Picture of T.Carr
posted Hide Post

Posts: 5338 | Location: A Texan in the Missouri Ozarks | Registered: 02 February 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Unless you are poor, black and starving, or rich, white and getting involed in politics, or an illegal jornalist you have actually nothing to worry about.

Third world groupies and occasionally general eco-tourists land themselves in hot water by being mistaken for journalists or NGO political workers. - If you will take photos where there are big signs saying security area- No camera's allowed or sit in sleasy pubs smoking pot and talking of workers rights- yes, you could have a state paid weekend in the Harare Hilton. The US government is very good at getting their nations released and put on a plane home though.

For a hunter, you have a NP11 form, the PH has a government stamped pre-hunt - the police all know this. If you are rich enough to hunt you are probably far to the right politically of their communist/trade unionsist ideologies, but you are a hunter and welcome so your political posturing in a safari camp or meikels hotel is to be expected and ignored.

We have the police fairly well briefed on hunters and why to leave them alone. Unless you are hunting on occupied farm land you will see nothing of the local troubles, and even then the police will act quickly to protect and shield you. We don't like anybody seeing our dirty laundry!

Posts: 3026 | Location: Zimbabwe | Registered: 23 July 2003Reply With Quote
<BWN300MAG>
posted
Ganyana,
What about if you are poor (but well feed), white and willing to get involved in politics, or an aspiring (but not talented enough) journalist? Any complications there?
What about if your PH is a sneaky, violent malcontent that is probably wanted by Interpool who makes you sleep on the floor of the safari tent in Heyena country?

One of Us
posted Hide Post
BWN, I think you are hyaena bait. Good job you are not hunting with me- I don't give poor clients the luxury of a tent Big Grin

Posts: 3026 | Location: Zimbabwe | Registered: 23 July 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Niki and I are going back in Sept. I'll be watching the buff closer than anything! gunsmile

Jack Atcheson & Sons

www.atcheson.com

GO HUNTING NOW WHILE YOU ARE PHYSICALLY ABLE

Posts: 373 | Location: Big Sky Country | Registered: 14 August 2002Reply With Quote