New
Find
Notify
Tools

magic
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Its been a long hot day. The african sun beat mercilessly down on your group. The tracks seemed endless, first it was elephant tracks, then buffalo track, and then eland tracks. It didn't make any difference. All there was was sun and heat. Even the ride in back of the land cruiser didn't do anything for your humor. Where the hell were all the animals. You came to africa because of the animals, now where are they.
The gallon or so of water you drank came out of you as sweat. nothing else. As the day wears on there are vultures in the sky, eagles and hawks, a go away bird or two, but not much else. Maybe this wasn't such a good idea after all. You might as well be at home holding a fishing pole.
It's getting late in the day. You still have a k or 2 walking to get back to the vehicle . The red sun is well on its way down. The horizon turns to colors, pink, purple, red, blue, whisks of white clouds mixed in. The heat of the day is starting to turn to cool.
Now, just a few yards ahead there appears a bushbuck. Then a herd of wildebeest and zebra appear out of nowhere. Waterbuck grow from out of the mopane trees., Where were they a few hours ago. Now you hear the baboons barking. Birds of all kinds are singing. Where were they before?
Now you have reached the magic. The magic hour just after sunset, the hour of life. All around you there is life. The hell with the fishing pole. This is what you came to africa for. Magic indeed

Posts: 13446 | Location: faribault mn | Registered: 16 November 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Aspen Hill Adventures
posted Hide Post
Awesome, couldn't have said it better!

~Ann

Posts: 19218 | Location: The LOST Nation | Registered: 27 March 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Use Enough Gun
posted Hide Post
Another inspiring flashback! tu2

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Man, I wish I could write like that.

LORD, let my bullets go where my crosshairs show.
Not all who wander are lost.
NEVER TRUST A FART!!!
Cecil Leonard

Posts: 2786 | Location: Northeast Louisianna | Registered: 06 October 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Nakihunter
posted Hide Post
Having experience it in India so many times, I can just smell the dust or the rain or the elephant dung ... or all of it... I wish.....

"When the wind stops....start rowing. When the wind starts, get the sail up quick."

Posts: 11020 | Location: New Zealand | Registered: 02 July 2008Reply With Quote