New
Find
Notify
Tools

Christmas memories
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Christmas greetings to all on this forum.

May I, without hopefully being too boring, recount one of the most memorable Christmases I have ever had?

I was a junior ranger in Wankie and my boss had a number of his friends and colleagues in our camp for the holidays. On Christmas day he sent me out to take off a kudu for our staff to enjoy
that night. In retrospect, it was the most nervewracking hunt I have done - in my entourage
I had 2 Duckworth boys, at least 2 Williamsons and a Coneybeare (or 2!) They were all young enough to be somewhat impressionable, yet would not hesitate to point out , gleefully, any rookie mistake that they could report back to the paters in camp!

Fortunately I made the necessary shot but just to be (overly) safe put in a 9 mil insurance round as the kudu was still twitching. Barrie Duckworth of course, made immediate note of the waste of lead on our arrival back in camp!

Needless to say that was a shot I did NOT want to miss.

To add to the memories, we had a visit from the Vincents on Boxing day.

This forum surely does rekindle some fine memories. Ta ya'll.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
What year was that?

LORD, let my bullets go where my crosshairs show.
Not all who wander are lost.
NEVER TRUST A FART!!!
Cecil Leonard

Posts: 2786 | Location: Northeast Louisianna | Registered: 06 October 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of MikeBurke
posted Hide Post
quote:
Barrie Duckworth of course, made immediate note of the waste of lead on our arrival back in camp!

A couple of years ago I was hunting with Neil in Moz. Mr. Barrie was in camp. I shot an eland around midday and I ended up driving the cruiser to the eland. Mr. Barrie hailed me on the radio to find out what was going on. I told him we shot an eland. He asked how many shots it took. My response was I shot it three times. His immediate response was "quit wasting my meat".

Some things never change.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Great story, and some of my favorite people!

Many Thanks

HBH

One of Us
posted Hide Post