New
Find
Notify
Tools

Hunting and Freemasonry
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I am interested in researching a story on prominent hunters who were also Masons. Does anyone know of any resources that I might look at? Many thanks.

Posts: 408 | Location: Zimbabwe | Registered: 01 December 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Wink
posted Hide Post
I'll give you something which is just a vague memory, but may provide a lead on at least one person, about whom a lot has been written: Thomas Jefferson. IIRC he was a Freemason and also iirc he wrote something to the effect that a walk through the woods with a rifle should be a regular activity.

AR, where the hopeless, hysterical hypochondriacs of history become the nattering nabobs of negativisim.

Posts: 7046 | Location: Rambouillet, France | Registered: 25 June 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Elmer Keith.

Posts: 1279 | Location: The Bluegrass State | Registered: 21 October 2014Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Two very good suggestions, thank you. I want to keep an "African" bent to it, and of course Theodore Roosevelt stands well above everyone else (as he did in life) but that's a good direction.

Posts: 408 | Location: Zimbabwe | Registered: 01 December 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of JCS271
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Wink:
I'll give you something which is just a vague memory, but may provide a lead on at least one person, about whom a lot has been written: Thomas Jefferson. IIRC he was a Freemason and also iirc he wrote something to the effect that a walk through the woods with a rifle should be a regular activity.

"A strong body makes the mind strong. As to the species of exercises, I advise the gun. While this gives moderate exercise to the body, it gives boldness, enterprise and independance to the mind. Games played with the ball, and others of that nature, are too violent for the body and stamp no character on the mind. Let your gun therefore be your constant companion on your walks." Thomas Jefferson

"The difference between adventure and disaster is preparation."
"The problem with quoting info from the internet is that you can never be sure it is accurate" Abraham Lincoln

Posts: 1626 | Location: Montana Territory | Registered: 27 March 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Wink
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by JCS271:
quote:
Originally posted by Wink:

"A strong body makes the mind strong. As to the species of exercises, I advise the gun. While this gives moderate exercise to the body, it gives boldness, enterprise and independance to the mind. Games played with the ball, and others of that nature, are too violent for the body and stamp no character on the mind. Let your gun therefore be your constant companion on your walks." Thomas Jefferson

Thanks for refreshing our memories. I still like it.

AR, where the hopeless, hysterical hypochondriacs of history become the nattering nabobs of negativisim.

Posts: 7046 | Location: Rambouillet, France | Registered: 25 June 2004Reply With Quote