THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM AFRICAN HUNTING FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Hunting  Hop To Forums  African Big Game Hunting    What do you do with guns if staying for 2 days in Germany

Moderators: Saeed
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

What do you do with guns if staying for 2 days in Germany
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of 458Lottfan
posted
My wife was thinking she wanted to stay over in Frankfurt for a couple days, just to look around on our way back from Namibia next July. It would be a cool opportunity for our kids and our selves to see something new.

Have any of you done this? How much of a hassle is it with firearms? Is there any thing in Frankfurt that you thought was worth seeing?

My only stops there where in the back of a 141, going to the Middle East. We never left the Air Force Base. Idle Marines in groups are a walking hazard, even on the Air Force base

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Thanks
Will

Posts: 583 | Location: Mesa, AZ | Registered: 08 May 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
The downtown district near the river is very pretty. Lots of museums and shops and old bldngs to see. Don't know if they rebuilt after WWII or this part of town was missed but there are a lot of buildings that are very historic.

Pancho
LTC, USA, RET

"Participating in a gun buy-back program because you think that criminals have too many guns is like having yourself castrated because you think your neighbors have too many kids." Clint Eastwood

Give me Liberty or give me Corona.

Posts: 937 | Location: Roswell, NM | Registered: 02 December 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Use Enough Gun
posted Hide Post
We were there coming and going last month. I don't know about firearms as ours were checked all the way through to Windhoek and we had the full day to explore Frankfurt. We took the train from the airport to the Frankfurt Main Terminal and then walked on foot through the city, touring the old part near the Mein River, and also the more modern part of the City with its open air markets, fountains, and food court. There's plenty to see even at the main terminal, but you then catch the subway train to the downtown area and walk. I don't know if I would want to spend a couple of days there, as one full day was enough for us. There is a hotel right next to the airport that you could stay at if you wanted to stay a couple of days. I would try it if I were you.

One of Us
Picture of Mike_Dettorre
posted Hide Post
You can store your guns at the airport in what they call "in bond"...it is a "bonded" area.

At least I did in 1998 for about 10 hrs as i went into frankfurt.

Mike

Never under estimate the internet community's ability to reply to your post with their personal rant about their tangentially related, single occurrence issue.

What I have learned on AR, since 2001:
1. The proper answer to: Where is the best place in town to get a steak dinner? is…You should go to Mel's Diner and get the fried chicken.
2. Big game animals can tell the difference between .015 of an inch in diameter, 15 grains of bullet weight, and 150 fps.
3. There is a difference in the performance of two identical projectiles launched at the same velocity if they came from different cartridges.
4. While a double rifle is the perfect DGR, every 375HH bolt gun needs to be modified to carry at least 5 down.
5. While a floor plate and detachable box magazine both use a mechanical latch, only the floor plate latch is reliable. Disregard the fact that every modern military rifle uses a detachable box magazine.
6. The Remington 700 is unreliable regardless of the fact it is the basis of the USMC M40 sniper rifle for 40+ years with no changes to the receiver or extractor and is the choice of more military and law enforcement sniper units than any other rifle.
7. PF actions are not suitable for a DGR and it is irrelevant that the M1, M14, M16, & AK47 which were designed for hunting men that can shoot back are all PF actions.
8. 95 deg F in Africa is different than 95 deg F in TX or CA and that is why you must worry about ammunition temperature in Africa (even though most safaris take place in winter) but not in TX or in CA.
9. The size of a ding in a gun's finish doesn't matter, what matters is whether it’s a safe ding or not.
10. 1 in a row is a trend, 2 in a row is statistically significant, and 3 in a row is an irrefutable fact.
11. Never buy a WSM or RCM cartridge for a safari rifle or your go to rifle in the USA because if they lose your ammo you can't find replacement ammo but don't worry 280 Rem, 338-06, 35 Whelen, and all Weatherby cartridges abound in Africa and back country stores.
12. A well hit animal can run 75 yds. in the open and suddenly drop with no initial blood trail, but the one I shot from 200 yds. away that ran 10 yds. and disappeared into a thicket and was not found was lost because the bullet penciled thru. I am 100% certain of this even though I have no physical evidence.
13. A 300 Win Mag is a 500 yard elk cartridge but a 308 Win is not a 300 yard elk cartridge even though the same bullet is travelling at the same velocity at those respective distances.

Posts: 10134 | Location: Loving retirement in Boise, ID | Registered: 16 December 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of TheBigGuy
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Mike_Dettorre:
You can store your guns at the airport in what they call "in bond"...it is a "bonded" area.

At least I did in 1998 for about 10 hrs as i went into frankfurt.

Is there a time limit on "Bond" storage?

Posts: 1282 | Registered: 17 September 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I'm looking into this situation myself right now for the same reasons, but I haven't had a chance to follow it up completely. Be happy to collaborate on it.

This is the response I got back from the German Embassy:

"Please contact your airline to find out, whether it is possible to keep the weapons with the airline depot in the transit section of the airport. If this is not possible, you may need a permission to import the weapons into Germany. The concerned German authority to issue this permission would be as follows:

Hessisches Ministerium des Innern
Friedrich-Ebert-Allee 12
65185 Wiesbaden
Germany

Fax.: 01149-611 353 1766

For information about depositing the weapons with the customs department of the airport and for importing the weapons to Germany you may also contact the customs information centre in Frankfurt, which can be reached by Fax at: 01149-69 469 976 99 or by phone: monday thru thursday from 7am to 5pm and on fridays 7am to 4pm at: 01149-69 469 976 00 (German time) and via email through: info@zoll-infocenter.de . "

Posts: 2921 | Location: Canada | Registered: 07 March 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Teat Hound
posted Hide Post
Well, if it was me and my Mrs, I'd take a train to Rothenberg and have a nice walk around. While there, take your wife to Kathe Wohlfahrt's store. You could do this very easily in a one day train ride from Frankfurt, and the cost would be minimal too. You would get to see much of their nice country side on the way too, not to be missed. It is less than a 2 hour ride on the train, if my memory serves me correctly.

If you don't want to leave Frankfurt, I'd check out Altstadt (Old Town).

Too bad you don't have a few more days there . . . stir

Good luck, and have fun.

-eric

" . . . a gun is better worn and with bloom off---So is a saddle---People too by God." -EH

Posts: 952 | Location: Bakersfield, California | Registered: 03 June 2005Reply With Quote