THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM AFRICAN HUNTING FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Hunting  Hop To Forums  African Big Game Hunting    RULES TO STAY ALIVE WHEN HUNTING DANGEROUS GAME

Moderators: Saeed
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

RULES TO STAY ALIVE WHEN HUNTING DANGEROUS GAME
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of beartooth
posted
RULES TO STAY ALIVE WHEN HUNTING DANGEROUS GAME
By: Mike Price
(hog, lion, bear, moose, buffalo, any animal that cops an attitude)

1. Take a good double or controlled fed rifle (or premium push feed) to do the job you are asking it to perform.

2. It must be a rifle that you know and are familiar with, because you have spent a lot of time holding it in your hands working the action and safeties so as to learn it’s peculiarities!

3. Shoot it from different positions and at varying ranges until you are proficient at all positions and ranges you will possibly shoot!

4. There is no such thing as the all around or magic cartridge, just some good ones that do the job very well, if you do yours!

5. Only center hits in the vital kill area counts, or a dangerous animal might teach you the difference!

6. Make the deepest hole you can to insure that vital organs, nerve centers, blood arteries and pivotal skeletal structure can be reached and destroyed from all impact angles!

7. Reaching vitals at all angles won't happen if the bullet does not hold up and fragments or sheds it’s jacket or bends, so don't buy cheap factory ammunition or cheap bullets if you hand-load!

8. Do not shoot a cartridge that you are not able to handle because of excessive recoil and that will negatively affect your accuracy!

9. Your intent is to shoot a cartridge that you can keep under control and will make the biggest possible diameter exit hole (if angle and distance allows), to let blood out and air in!

10. Make sure your shot is an affective one in that the distance is reasonable to ensure a judicious kill!

11. All dangerous game when shot are still dangerous so "SERVICE" your threat until it is no longer a threat, that means until it won't, can't and doesn't breath nor moves, especially if it is at close quarters, if NOT you might get BIT, CUT UP, STOMPED, BROKE IN HALF, or EATEN!!!

12. If all of the above does not work I recommend (if there is time) a quick prayer! Smiler

Posts: 63 | Location: USA | Registered: 29 July 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Will
posted Hide Post
Ha!

That all sounds good but when the poop hits the fan, we'll see!

-------------------------------
Will Stewart / Once you've been amongst them, there is no such thing as too much gun.
---------------------------------------
and, God Bless John Wayne.

NRA Benefactor Member, GOA, N.A.G.R.

"Elephant and Elephant Guns" $99 shipped
“Hunting Africa's Dangerous Game" $20 shipped.

red.dirt.elephant@gmail.com

Hoping to wind up where elephant hunters go.

Posts: 19362 | Location: Ocala Flats | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
...#9, dubious opinion!

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Will,

Poop is such a weak term, call it like it will be "when the SHIT" hits the fan. It is a bit like Lewis Grizzard said "Naked is someone with out clothes, but Nikked is someone with out clothes and are up to something". Big Grin

Posts: 5338 | Location: Bedford, Pa. USA | Registered: 23 February 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Gator1
posted Hide Post
Who's Mike Price?

Gator

A Proud Member of the Obamanation

"The heart of the wise inclines to the right, but the heart of the fool to the left."
Ecclesiastes 10:2

"There are some ideas so absurd that only an intellectual could believe them." George Orwell

Posts: 2753 | Location: Climbing the Mountains of Liberal BS. | Registered: 31 July 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Hog Killer
posted Hide Post
Do not walk around in a daze, in DG country.

Keep your rifle in your hands and ready for trouble.

Only CNS hits will STOP something in it's tracks. "Killing shots", ie: heart/lung, may still get you tossed.

Practice snap shooting at close range (5-10yds) and hitting a 3" target.

Be able to reload without looking at your rifle.

Know that your rilfe will work perfectly everytime!

Do not count on anyone else pulling your bacon out of the fire. You may have to pull their's out.

Keith

IGNORE YOUR RIGHTS AND THEY'LL GO AWAY!!!
------------------------------------
We Band of Bubbas & STC Hunting Club, The Whomper Club

Posts: 4553 | Location: Walker Co.,Texas | Registered: 05 September 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of beartooth
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Gator1:
Who's Mike Price?

Me!

One of Us
Picture of ledvm
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
Who's Mike Price?

Me!

Yeah and who's Mike Price???

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
J. Lane Easter, DVM

A born Texan has instilled in his system a mind-set of no retreat or no surrender. I wish everyone the world over had the dominating spirit that motivates Texans.– Billy Clayton, Speaker of the Texas House

No state commands such fierce pride and loyalty. Lesser mortals are pitied for their misfortune in not being born in Texas.— Queen Elizabeth II on her visit to Texas in May, 1991.

Posts: 37821 | Location: Gainesville, TX | Registered: 24 December 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of beartooth
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ledvm:
quote:
quote:
Who's Mike Price?

Me!

Mike Price a hunter, father, grandfather, reloader, shooter been a lot of places sometimes successful while hunting some times not. Been in tight spots but was lucky. I am not sure what you are looking for. No I don't live in Africa, live in US. When I answered ME to the question concerning who came up with some rules to hunt dangerous game by I was just letting him know that I wrote them. Wrote them after about 25yrs of hunting and making some mistakes and was lucky enough to learn from them. Thought I might share what my experiences cause me to come up with, that's all. Nothing more than that.

One of Us
Picture of keithv35
posted Hide Post
quote:

J. Lane Easter, DVM

A guy who's not a street or a holiday and may or may not have had his arm up a cows vagina?
But that's just my guess based upon the available information.

From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
"DVM is a three-letter acronym (initialism) that may mean:

Delaware Valley Music
Derbyshire Village Mission
Digital Video Manager
Digital Voltmeter
Doctor of Veterinary Medicine
Drunken Voicemail"

Posts: 350 | Location: Henderson, NV | Registered: 24 July 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of beartooth
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by keithv35:
quote:

J. Lane Easter, DVM

A guy who's not a street or a holiday and may or may not have had his arm up a cows vagina?

Delaware Valley Music
Digital Video Manager
Digital Voltmeter
Drunken Voicemail"

Yep, been there and done that Smiler

One of Us
Picture of ledvm
posted Hide Post
quote:
But that's just my guess based upon the available information.

Delaware Valley Music
Digital Video Manager
Digital Voltmeter
Drunken Voicemail"

keithv35,

Now I understand why you live in Las Vegas.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
J. Lane Easter, DVM

A born Texan has instilled in his system a mind-set of no retreat or no surrender. I wish everyone the world over had the dominating spirit that motivates Texans.– Billy Clayton, Speaker of the Texas House

No state commands such fierce pride and loyalty. Lesser mortals are pitied for their misfortune in not being born in Texas.— Queen Elizabeth II on her visit to Texas in May, 1991.

Posts: 37821 | Location: Gainesville, TX | Registered: 24 December 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Steve Malinverni
posted Hide Post
quote:
12. If all of the above does not work I recommend (if there is time) a quick prayer!

What do you think about:
13. bring with you a friend, a very good shooter, able to manage a very heavy rifle, as back up

Big Grin

bye
Stefano
Waidmannsheil

Posts: 1653 | Location: Milano Italy | Registered: 04 July 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Jeff Alexander
posted Hide Post
...and all this time, I thought you only had to be able to outrun your PH. Eeker

Posts: 1002 | Location: Dixieland | Registered: 01 April 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of beartooth
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Steve Malinverni:
quote:
12. If all of the above does not work I recommend (if there is time) a quick prayer!

What do you think about:
13. bring with you a friend, a very good shooter, able to manage a very heavy rifle, as back up

Big Grin

Yea, "number 13" that is a great idea! Just hope the hunt is not on Friday.SmilerSmiler It will be a big one backing up my 416WBY. One thing for sure, whatever it is that we kill, it will be dead twice over Smiler

one of us
Picture of Steve Malinverni
posted Hide Post
Oh well, this madke me remember an Italian hunter who told me that he has a russian fiance' ( he was married Wink) that had been colonel in the army. He confessed to me that she was a superb shooter, that she was his preferred hunting buddy.
A very good example to number 13 management combining benefit to pleasure Big Grin

bye
Stefano
Waidmannsheil

Posts: 1653 | Location: Milano Italy | Registered: 04 July 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of PSmith
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Jeff Alexander:
...and all this time, I thought you only had to be able to outrun your PH. Eeker

Jeff:

Based on my vast (ha, ha) experience elephant hunting all you have to do is be able to outrun the barefoot PH and/or the photographer.

Paul Smith

Paul Smith
SCI Life Member
NRA Life Member
DSC Member
Life Member of the "I Can't Wait to Get Back to Africa" Club
DRSS
I had the privilege to fire E. Hemingway's WR .577NE, E. Keith's WR .470NE, & F. Jamieson's WJJ .500 Jeffery
I strongly recommend avoidance of "The Zambezi Safari & Travel Co., Ltd." and "Pisces Sportfishing-Cabo San Lucas"

"A failed policy of national defense is its own punishment" Otto von Bismarck

Posts: 2545 | Location: The 'Ham | Registered: 25 May 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Outrunning your PH certainly has its merits as you will NOT be able to outrun the trackers. They have the uncanny ability to ghost out of a place right now!

You also might consider listening to your PH or guide if you have one. That is almost always a good idea...almost always.

Posts: 4168 | Location: Texas | Registered: 18 June 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of beartooth
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by yukon delta:
Outrunning your PH certainly has its merits as you will NOT be able to outrun the trackers. They have the uncanny ability to ghost out of a place right now!

You also might consider listening to your PH or guide if you have one. That is almost always a good idea...almost always.

Amen on listening to your PH or guide. We check them out to see if they are good and if we choose them it is because they are good. So it would be wise to listen to them, they can keep us out of a lot of trouble. My dad was a hunter, trapper and just all around guy and he told me when push comes to shove "Son, it is a poor set of feet that will stand around and take abuse!" That is why I carry my 416WBY, I would like to be the one handing out abuse not getting abused by some wild, angry,upset beast that does not like me standing on his ground. Smiler

one of us
posted Hide Post
You may also want to KNOCK HIM DOWN AND OUT by shooting in the SHOOTAWAY KILL ZONE!

Posts: 11651 | Location: Montreal | Registered: 07 November 2002Reply With Quote