New
Find
Notify
Tools

Why in the hell……
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Do they have DSC so close to the holidays? Traveling is a nightmare . We are already delayed at least 30 hours . Airports are full.

Too close to year end for many business people . Me for example.

Still deer season .

Makes no sense to me .

Posts: 12094 | Location: Orlando, FL | Registered: 26 January 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Agreed. Mid-January should be the earliest. Not going this year due to these concerns.

STAY IN THE FIGHT!

Posts: 1849 | Location: Southern California | Registered: 25 July 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Michael Robinson
posted Hide Post
Same here.

We were going to attend DSC because we'll be away hunting during SCI.

When I found out how early DSC was this year, I realized that would not be possible.

Good luck, Larry.

I know that DSC and SCI compete, to some extent, but I also know that many people attend both.

A little better coordination between the two on scheduling would do a lot of good for all of us, IMHO.

Mike

Wilderness is my cathedral, and hunting is my prayer.

Posts: 13615 | Location: New England | Registered: 06 June 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of jdollar
posted Hide Post
Ain’t gonna change. This complaint has been around for over 10 years and nothing has changed.

Vote Trump- Putin’s best friend…

Posts: 13391 | Location: Georgia | Registered: 28 October 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Brain1
posted Hide Post
Jerry is right. I wanted it late January. May as well talk to the door as DSC don't care. It is a HUGE inconvenience for Africans. They have to hang around for a month plus to do DSC and SCI. Or incur the added cost of an extra return trip.

You can borrow money, but you can't borrow time. Don't wait, go now.
Savannah Safaris Namibia
Otjitambi Trails & Safaris
DRSS
NRA
SCI
DSC
TSRA
TMPA

Posts: 1262 | Location: Bridgeport, Tx | Registered: 20 May 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Everything that can go wrong has gone wrong. These high tech communications suck. Totally useless.

Probably heading back to Orlando .

Posts: 12094 | Location: Orlando, FL | Registered: 26 January 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Agree. Late January is better for all of us.

"If I were in charge" , I would negotiate with Wild Sheep Show (Gray Thornton used to run DSC) and set these up back to back a little later in the month or February....

Oh well, common sense does not always prevail.

I suspect this has to do with access to the Kay Bailey Convention center....

Posts: 10359 | Location: Texas... time to secede!! | Registered: 12 February 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I agree that DSC is too early. That being said, there didn't used to be much of a choice. Kay Bailey Hutchison is booked years out with larger conventions than DSC. It's a take it or leave it type of situation. Hutchison is much better than the previous option, other than the dates.

Perhaps things have changed. Maybe Karl or another person with better knowledge can chime in.

Posts: 815 | Location: Oklahoma | Registered: 05 March 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by AilsaWheels:
I agree that DSC is too early. That being said, there didn't used to be much of a choice. Kay Bailey Hutchison is booked years out with larger conventions than DSC. It's a take it or leave it type of situation. Hutchison is much better than the previous option, other than the dates.
Perhaps things have changed. Maybe Karl or another person with better knowledge can chime in.

I’m part of the “old guard” so not up to speed on recent developments, but you are correct in thinking dates are reserved years in advance and lucky to be able to do so, I believe the future dates are still on the DSC website. Also, Dallas is wanting to build a new, more modern convention center which will require demolishing the current center. I believe the referendum passed last November and I’ve read where it will be a 4-5 year project (at least), no idea where large conventions will take place during demo and construction. Going to be interesting.

Karl Evans

Posts: 2897 | Location: Emhouse, Tx | Registered: 03 February 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Couldn’t find dates on DSC website but found these dates on another site:
2024-Jan 11-14
2025-Jan 9-12
2026-Jan 8-11

Karl Evans

Posts: 2897 | Location: Emhouse, Tx | Registered: 03 February 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I noticed the live auction winning bids tonight (Wednesday) seemed on the low side. 10 day buffalo hunt in Moz including buffalo trophy fee went for less than $9K. Maybe having the convention so early is having a negative impact? Most of the winning bids were from remote internet buyers.

STAY IN THE FIGHT!

Posts: 1849 | Location: Southern California | Registered: 25 July 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of MikeBurke
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jdollar:
Ain’t gonna change. This complaint has been around for over 10 years and nothing has changed.

I had some photos pop up my phone from ten years ago at the convention. In 2013 setup day was on January 2nd and the first day of the show was the third. That was a tough travel year also.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Scheduling is always difficult trying to deal with the Holidays, hunting seasons, when the outfitters will be available etc. So January is the least objectionable option.

Sorry to miss DSC this year, for only the second time in about 15 years, but tested positive for COVID today and canceled my flights and hotel reservations. Hope ya'll have a great convention.

Posts: 10311 | Location: Houston, Texas | Registered: 26 December 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I haven't even made an attempt to go the last couple years with business and family obligations directly after the new year it's just not possible. I would imagine many are in the same boat.

Posts: 1018 | Location: Imperial, NE | Registered: 05 January 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of jdollar
posted Hide Post
Yep, January is the least objectionable month but it has 31 days. This has been bitched about for over 10 years with the usual DSC response that it takes years to get a different reservation time at the convention center. Well guess what- if DSC had changed dates 10+ years ago when it was first complained about, we wouldn’t be having this discussion.

One of Us
Picture of fairgame
posted Hide Post
quote:
Yep, January is the least objectionable month but it has 31 days. This has been bitched about for over 10 years with the usual DSC response that it takes years to get a different reservation time at the convention center. Well guess what- if DSC had changed dates 10+ years ago when it was first complained about, we wouldn’t be having this discussion.

Indeed Jerry and does DSC expect Safari operators to hang around the States till the SCI show in February?

ROYAL KAFUE LTD
Email - kafueroyal@gmail.com
Tel/Whatsapp (00260) 975315144
Instagram - kafueroyal

Posts: 9948 | Location: Zambia | Registered: 10 April 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Bwana338
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by fairgame:
quote:

Indeed Jerry and does DSC expect Safari operators to hang around the States till the SCI show in February?

Andrew,

In the past when the SCI convention was in Las Vegas or Reno, we would provide a stop over point for some of the African PH’s going from one location to the other. Some we knew and other were along and welcomed. Some i have hunted with and other i have not. However they were welcomed.

We had the opportunity to meet some nice PH’s from Mozambique, Zimbabwe, Namibia and South Africa. We enjoyed good conversations, getting to know one another and partied as friends.

I am sure that there were other DSC/SCI members who have done the same in the past.

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

"You've got the strongest hand in the world. That's right. Your hand. The hand that marks the ballot. The hand that pulls the voting lever. Use it, will you" John Wayne

Posts: 1626 | Location: West River at Heart | Registered: 08 April 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Same here.Too close to holidays in an already bad travel industry.

One of Us
Picture of fairgame
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Bwana338:
quote:
Originally posted by fairgame:
quote:

Andrew,

In the past when the SCI convention was in Las Vegas or Reno, we would provide a stop over point for some of the African PH’s going from one location to the other. Some we knew and other were along and welcomed. Some i have hunted with and other i have not. However they were welcomed.

We had the opportunity to meet some nice PH’s from Mozambique, Zimbabwe, Namibia and South Africa. We enjoyed good conversations, getting to know one another and partied as friends.

I am sure that there were other DSC/SCI members who have done the same in the past.

That was extremely kind of you!

ROYAL KAFUE LTD
Email - kafueroyal@gmail.com
Tel/Whatsapp (00260) 975315144
Instagram - kafueroyal

Posts: 9948 | Location: Zambia | Registered: 10 April 2009Reply With Quote
One Of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by larryshores:
Everything that can go wrong has gone wrong. These high tech communications suck. Totally useless.

Probably heading back to Orlando .

OH BOY, LARRY!! SORRY TO HEAR THINGS ARE GOING SIDEWAYS....WISHING YOU THE BEST.... AS WELL AS ALL OTHER TRAVELERS HEADED TO DSC!!

470EDDY

Posts: 2669 | Location: The Other Washington | Registered: 24 March 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
We made it but not without drama.

We sat down and reviewed all of our options. They all had one thing in common. We needed our bags.

We got in line at baggage claim. There must have been over 100 people in line. One desk was assisting. My wife talked to someone who said it would take between 5 and 24 hours to get the bags. I said F it. Let’s go home.

We went to change flights . The lady advised that 2 seats to San Antonio were open. We took those seats and got someone to drive us to Dallas. We got there 10 hours after we were supposed to .

One Of Us
posted Hide Post
So much fun to fly these days!!

Did you get your bags,too??

This whole charade must have unfolded at an interim stop, say Atlanta??... No non-stops from Orlando to Dallas??... NOT even SOUTHWEST??!!

Well, enjoy the show!!

CHEERZ,

470EDDY

Posts: 2669 | Location: The Other Washington | Registered: 24 March 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Got our bags .

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Is it true that if you are not competent enough to work in government the airlines are your only option?

USMC Retired
DSC Life Member
SCI Life Member
NRA Life Member

Posts: 730 | Location: Maryland Eastern Shore | Registered: 27 September 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Wesheltonj
posted Hide Post
I am surprised more of the outfitters don't try to work in the Houston show between Dallas and SCI.

Posts: 769 | Location: Texas Hill Country | Registered: 13 April 2016Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of DCS Member
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Wesheltonj:
I am surprised more of the outfitters don't try to work in the Houston show between Dallas and SCI.

Don’t get me wrong, Houston SC is a fine organization, but they are well behind DSC despite both splitting from SCI in 1982.

We’ve done HSC a few times and it reminds me of DSC shows from over 20 years ago.

The Woodlands shows were convenient, as the hotel was connected to the CC. George R. Brown is in downtown. Yes, as is DSC, but it seems to be difficult for lodging. That may not mean much, as I’m only a few miles from DSC. Uber rides are cheaper than parking.

I meant to be DSC Member...bad typing skills.

Marcus Cady

DRSS

Posts: 3453 | Location: Dallas | Registered: 19 March 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
This blog needs a sign we have on our ranch $5,00 fine for whining. rotflmo

On the real side, you would have no exhibitors they would still be hunting. the shows are timed to get exhibitors from all over the world, and that window is the only or best opertunity to bring in most outfitters and safari companies..

Ray Atkinson
Atkinson Hunting Adventures
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

rayatkinsonhunting@gmail.com

Posts: 42138 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by GunsCore:
I noticed the live auction winning bids tonight (Wednesday) seemed on the low side. 10 day buffalo hunt in Moz including buffalo trophy fee went for less than $9K. Maybe having the convention so early is having a negative impact? Most of the winning bids were from remote internet buyers.

Agree. Some Bidders got very Lucky for Example a 8 Day Tanzanian Buffalo hunt went for US$5500

Nec Timor Nec Temeritas

One of Us
Picture of jdollar
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Atkinson:
This blog needs a sign we have on our ranch $5,00 fine for whining. rotflmo

On the real side, you would have no exhibitors they would still be hunting. the shows are timed to get exhibitors from all over the world, and that window is the only or best opertunity to bring in most outfitters and safari companies..

They would still be hunting in mid-late January?? Don’t think so. coffee

One of Us
Picture of crshelton
posted Hide Post
Yes, and since I retired to the country, the hunting shows are not so important.

I just use my long term outfitters and skip the shows. Somehow it seems to work out.

NRA Life Benefactor Member,
DRSS, DWWC, Whittington
Center,Android Reloading
Ballistics App at
http://www.xplat.net/

Posts: 2294 | Location: Republic of Texas | Registered: 25 May 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by mboga biga bwana:
quote:

Agree. Some Bidders got very Lucky for Example a 8 Day Tanzanian Buffalo hunt went for US$5500

While that seems like a missed opportunity on an expensive hunt, do a little more digging and you would find that particular outfit has a rather tainted reputation, hence the low bid.
If I am thinking about the same auction item, they had trouble getting any bids. There is always a reason...
Bill

Posts: 1088 | Location: Salt Lake City, Utah, USA | Registered: 19 March 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Back to the original issue. Travel on Sunday was far easier than Wednesday. About half the people in the airport I’d guess.

One Of Us
posted Hide Post
Larry,

3 days was enough, EH??!!

YUP, to your earlier point, you are 7 days after the Christmas/New Year Holiday... and Holiday travelers are home by now!! It is a Football Day, and business travelers mostly go out on Monday!! The exodus from Dallas hasn't started yet!!

I hope you had a good time and connected with Great Outfitters!!...glad you didn't turn around and head back coming inbound!!

CheerZ,

470EDDY

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by llamapacker:
quote:
Originally posted by mboga biga bwana:
quote:

While that seems like a missed opportunity on an expensive hunt, do a little more digging and you would find that particular outfit has a rather tainted reputation, hence the low bid.
If I am thinking about the same auction item, they had trouble getting any bids. There is always a reason...
Bill

Lots of AR Members hunted with this Outfitter in TZ and RSA and had good Results and went happy Home. So what

Nec Timor Nec Temeritas