New
Find
Notify
Tools

help me scope my 9.3x62
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I am scoping my 9.3X62... its a slim 7 lbs rifle and I have a 3-9X40 Conquest on it. I think its over scoped and a lighter scope would help the feel of the rifle. I like the idea of a 1.5 on the low end. I will not shoot over 250 yards with it unless I absolutely have to. I could have a low power variable with the conquest as a back up. My aging eyes demand a scope. What do you recommend? This is my africa hunting rifle.
Aaron

Posts: 581 | Location: Cheney, KS or Africa Somewhere | Registered: 07 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Leupold VX3 2.5x8x36 Great little scope.
The only reason I don't use mine is on my DG rifle is with Tally QD rings there is not enough distance between the bells for it to fit.
Should be fine with most other rings.

LORD, let my bullets go where my crosshairs show.
Not all who wander are lost.
NEVER TRUST A FART!!!
Cecil Leonard

Posts: 2786 | Location: Northeast Louisianna | Registered: 06 October 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
1 X 4 Trijicon,, great for low light conditions,, I have one on my 416 rigby and 4 power is good enough for me out to 200 yards. I have the german cross hairs and not the accupoint.

you can make more money, you can not make more time

Posts: 786 | Location: Mexia Texas | Registered: 07 July 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Just go with the 1.8x5.8x40 conquest.

Posts: 966 | Location: Austin, Texas | Registered: 23 September 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have Tally bases custom fit to the rifle. QD rings. I have been thinking about the Trijicon but haven't ruled out a leopold, or Swarovski. I want it to be light as reasonable.
Aaron

Posts: 581 | Location: Cheney, KS or Africa Somewhere | Registered: 07 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Aaron Rust:
I am scoping my 9.3X62... its a slim 7 lbs rifle and I have a 3-9X40 Conquest on it. I think its over scoped and a lighter scope would help the feel of the rifle. I like the idea of a 1.5 on the low end. I will not shoot over 250 yards with it unless I absolutely have to. I could have a low power variable with the conquest as a back up. My aging eyes demand a scope. What do you recommend? This is my africa hunting rifle.
Aaron

http://www.schmidtundbender.de.../zenith-11-4x24.html

http://www.zeiss.com/C1256BCF0...8D6685256BCF0061320D

http://www.zeiss.com/C1256BCF0...8D6685256BCF0061320D

and a good choice rail mounted
http://www.egun.de/market/item.php?id=3744135

i Got 2 of them not a day of trouble in 30+ years

Posts: 395 | Location: Mozambique | Registered: 08 June 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Brain1
posted Hide Post
Aaron
Keep me posted with what you choose. I am trying to figure out what to put on a new CZ 9.3x62 myself.

You can borrow money, but you can't borrow time. Don't wait, go now.
Savannah Safaris Namibia
Otjitambi Trails & Safaris
DRSS
NRA
SCI
DSC
TSRA
TMPA

Posts: 1265 | Location: Bridgeport, Tx | Registered: 20 May 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I've hunted twice in Africa with my CZ 9.3 and a fixed 6x scope. I don't typically shoot at running game so the 6x is not a handicap. Never have to worry about what power it's on...always on 6x. If you need to stretch the 9.3 out a little there's plenty of scope.

Whether or not the fixed scope is more reliable than a variable is always debated but it makes me feel a little better.

Posts: 317 | Location: Alabama | Registered: 06 March 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Swarowski Z6 1-6 is nice,will bye an 1-6 EER fore my 375,solid as "rock" and good eye relife.

Terje Kvestad

Posts: 59 | Location: Kongsberg ,Norway | Registered: 05 November 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Mate i don't think you are over scoped.I have a 1.7-10 Swarowski on mine with a dial up and if need be i can shoot 286grn woodleigh protected points to 400m, very handy on some long range sambar hunting here in Aussie Big Grin

Posts: 896 | Location: Langwarrin,Australia | Registered: 06 September 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Michael Robinson
posted Hide Post
I have a Leupold 2.5-8x on one and a Kahles 1.5-6x on another. Both mounted in Talley hardware. I like them both about equally.

Mike

Wilderness is my cathedral, and hunting is my prayer.

Posts: 13654 | Location: New England | Registered: 06 June 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of BaxterB
posted Hide Post
2.8 to 8

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Look for one of the discontinued Kahles 2x7 one inch scopes on ebay. They are light, compact and clear as a bell. I have them on several rifles and usually find them for about 500 bucks.

Posts: 3073 | Location: Pittsburgh, PA | Registered: 11 November 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of RAC
posted Hide Post
Leupold 2.5X8 or 1.75X6.

I hunt, not to kill, but in order not to have played golf....

DRSS

Posts: 839 | Location: LA | Registered: 28 May 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of ozhunter
posted Hide Post
4# Steel Schmidt&Bender;

1.5-6x42 Schmidt&Bender on this one;

Posts: 5886 | Location: Sydney,Australia  | Registered: 03 July 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Let me ask you this...
The 3-9X40 conquest weighs 15oz
The lightest variables weigh 9oz

The rifle at 7 lbs with conquest will be 8 lbs
or 7lbs 9oz with a lighter variable.

This isn't enough to worry about is it?!

Now for magnification...
would a 1.5-4 or 5 be ALOT better in the bush then the 3-9x40 conquest.

My reference is deer hunting in Kansas and hunting in Namibia but mostly in the open.

... is 3 power too much in the bush?
I do have a 1.5 heavy post B. Nickel Marberg I could mount up for heavy bush... it has Rosenthal gun show etched in it... kinda cool since that is Namibia.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
What made me go with the Trijicon was not the adds on TV, but I actually was able to look at them at DSC and the fiber optic luminated reticule was important to me hunting in thick dense brush and low light conditions, I wasn't worried about the weight,, which is about 14 oz because it is on a CZ 550 that weighs about 13 plus pounds. What was important as well was the over 3 inches of eye relief so I am less likely to scope myself with my 416 rigby,, it does have a pretty good thump to it. I have shot several buffalo with it in very low ligh conditions and seeing that cross on the money is important when you got to make it count. I would think it would be a huge plus leopard or lion hunting,, it was a little pricey though

you can make more money, you can not make more time

Posts: 786 | Location: Mexia Texas | Registered: 07 July 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of RaySendero
posted Hide Post
I wanted to keep things simple on my 9.3x62.

I scoped it with a 4X fixed - duplex reticle.

________
Ray

Posts: 1786 | Registered: 10 November 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Nakihunter
posted Hide Post
I would not change the 3-9X conquest unless you want an illuminated reticle for late evening shooting.

I still dream of taking my Simson 9.3X62 with my Leupold 2.5-8X B&C reticle to africa one day.

"When the wind stops....start rowing. When the wind starts, get the sail up quick."

Posts: 11241 | Location: New Zealand | Registered: 02 July 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Rick R
posted Hide Post
I've had a 3-9x Burris, a 1.8-5.5 Zeiss and now a 1-4x Leupold on my 9.3x62. I believe that the 1-4x is the best fit for the way I'll use the 9.3.
And IMHO it looks the best too. Smiler

Posts: 1912 | Location: Charleston, WV, USA | Registered: 10 January 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of JabaliHunter
posted Hide Post
one of these might be nice! Zeiss Victory HT 1.5-6x42

http://sportsoptics.zeiss.com/...models/1_5-6x42.html

Posts: 712 | Location: England | Registered: 01 January 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of PD999
posted Hide Post
Swarovski 1-6x24 EE (extended eye relief) with CD reticle (+/- illuminated).

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
“A man can never have too much red wine, too many books, or too much ammunition” ― Rudyard Kipling

Posts: 1231 | Location: London, UK | Registered: 02 April 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Hallgeir Gravrok
posted Hide Post
On my Ruger 375 H&H Mag I have a Leupold 1,25 - 4 x20 European, excellent scope for my hunt in Africa and Norway, I moved this over from my Sako, Before this I had a S&B 1,5 -6 x42 Zenith, but this scope were to heavy, the mount bases broke because of the recoil, and the distance betvin the scope and the my eye were also short, it kissed my eye everytime I shot, with the Leupold this isn`t any problem.

Posts: 78 | Location: Norway | Registered: 01 May 2011Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of bwanamrm
posted Hide Post
I have two 9.3x62's, both customs and both wearing 2.5x8 scopes. My Dane Burns/Mike Kizler rifle wears a Zeiss scope that is now discontinued (why I have no idea) and my Dave Norin 9.3 wears a Leupold... that magnification seems to fit the cartridge perfectly in mho. But I couldn't argue a 1.75x6. 1x4 seems a bit low to me but to each their own. I would take on a couple of ounces for a bit more magnification!

On the plains of hesitation lie the bleached bones of ten thousand, who on the dawn of victory lay down their weary heads resting, and there resting, died.

If you can talk with crowds and keep your virtue,
Or walk with Kings - nor lose the common touch...
Yours is the Earth and everything that's in it,
And - which is more - you'll be a Man, my son!
- Rudyard Kipling

Life grows grim without senseless indulgence.

Posts: 7558 | Location: Victoria, Texas | Registered: 30 March 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of fairgame
posted Hide Post
Sell your rifle and upgrade to a .404J

ROYAL KAFUE LTD
Email - kafueroyal@gmail.com
Tel/Whatsapp (00260) 975315144
Instagram - kafueroyal

Posts: 9972 | Location: Zambia | Registered: 10 April 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Nobody EVER listens to me about this, but I keep plugging anyway:

U.S. Optics 4x.

Nobody ever pays any attention to my recommendation about A-Square Dead Tough bullets, either.

Posts: 490 | Location: middle tennessee | Registered: 11 November 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of cable68
posted Hide Post
Haven't fininshed it yet, but I bought a Leupold VX2 2-7 for mine.

Caleb

Posts: 1010 | Location: Texan in Muskogee, OK now moved to Wichita, KS | Registered: 28 February 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of JBrown
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Aaron Rust:
Aaron

If this was a clue on that TV show Jeopardy, the correct question would be: "What is a Leupold 1.5-5x?"

I'm not sure what has happened, but five years ago these scopes were the bees knees. I guess the straight-tube Leupolds have fallen out of fashion.

Jason

"You're not hard-core, unless you live hard-core."

Hunting in Africa is an adventure. The number of variables involved preclude the possibility of a perfect hunt. Some problems will arise. How you decide to handle them will determine how much you enjoy your hunt.

Just tell yourself, "it's all part of the adventure." Remember, if Robert Ruark had gotten upset every time problems with Harry
Selby's flat bed truck delayed the safari, Horn of the Hunter would have read like an indictment of Selby. But Ruark rolled with the punches, poured some gin, and enjoyed the adventure.

-Jason Brown

Posts: 6838 | Location: Nome, Alaska(formerly SW Wyoming) | Registered: 22 December 2003Reply With Quote
Picture of boomer453
posted Hide Post
Swarovski fixed 6x on mine and extremely happy with the set up

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thank you all. I think i'll stick with my 3-9X40 conquest after all. I do have this 1.5x B. Nickel Marberg german made scope that I bought second had in Namibia. I think i'll get some talleys for it and use it for thick bush when needed. The scope looks terrible but is very bright.

one of us
Picture of Antlers
posted Hide Post
I have a Swaro fixed 4X on one and a Leupy 1.75X6 on the other. I think the fixed 4X is fine for most everything.

Antlers
Double Rifle Shooters Society
Heym 450/400 3"

Posts: 1990 | Location: AL | Registered: 13 February 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
1.5-6X42 Schmidt & Bender
Why not the very best?

Posts: 1903 | Location: Greensburg, Pa. | Registered: 09 August 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of tenmikemike
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by bwana cecil:
Leupold VX3 2.5x8x36 Great little scope.
The only reason I don't use mine is on my DG rifle is with Tally QD rings there is not enough distance between the bells for it to fit.
Should be fine with most other rings.

I have this exact scope on my CZ5509.3 x 62. Very pleased with it.

NRA Endowment Life member

CZ 550 American 9.3 X 62 Mauser/ Leupold VX-3 2.5-8 x 36
CZ 550 Safari Classic .458 Lott

Posts: 119 | Location: Phoenix AZ | Registered: 11 January 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Leupold 1.5-5 on mine. Would like a 1.75-6 but that's on my 338WinMag. A straight 4x Leupold has some merit as well tu2

Cheers,
Mark.

Posts: 557 | Location: Victoria, Australia | Registered: 13 February 2007Reply With Quote
Picture of Canuck
posted Hide Post
I wouldn't consider it overscoped. A 9.3x62 certainly isn't restricted to close range shots. I went with a Swaro Z3 3.5-10x with a 4A reticle for mine....

If you only intend to use it for short range, and/or just really prefer the look of a smaller scope. Smiler I am fond of the 2.5-8x Leupold that my 375 Ruger wears too. Smiler

Posts: 7122 | Location: The Rock (southern V.I.) | Registered: 27 February 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Having a 9.3X62 built and am thinking of the S&B 3X12X42 or the new Leupold 2X12 X42 VX-6 scope. Both have #4 with illuminated dot available.

Posts: 2180 | Location: Rancho Cucamonga, Ca. | Registered: 20 February 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Ingvar J. Kristjansson
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by TerryR:
1.5-6X42 Schmidt & Bender
Why not the very best?

I totally agree.......one of the best scope money can buy ! Here is my 9.3x62

Posts: 510 | Location: Iceland | Registered: 15 May 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
canuk. have 4 in 9.3x62 and all wear 3-10x40 with 4A. hunted them all and a wonderful combo.

square shooter

Posts: 2608 | Location: Moore, Oklahoma, USA | Registered: 28 December 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of dukxdog
posted Hide Post
Bushnell 6500 1.25-8X32mm I really like the ones I have on my rifles.

GOA Life Member
NRA Benefactor Member
Life Member Dallas Safari Club
Westley Richards 450 NE 3 1/4"

Posts: 865 | Location: Idaho/Wyoming/South Dakota | Registered: 08 February 2006Reply With Quote