Find
Notify
Tools

Bad boys in Benin
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of fairgame
posted

The West African Savannah is the Pit bull of Buffalo and is as irritable as the Cape but much more agile and in my limited experience more tenacious.

Having just returned from Benin my nightmare is standing behind a wounded buff being relentlessly pounded broadside by Faisal's .450 cannon. A buffalo that had already received a frontal shot and had us pursue it through thorn and thicket for a tricky couple of hours. Later that hot morning Faisal put a raking shot behind its rib cage and the damn thing still wanted to play. Dangerous game indeed.

The West African Savannah comes in all sorts of attractive colours - Le Noir, Le Rouge and the Noir/Rouge. Apart from being built like a brick shit house it has an amazing turn of speed and over a twenty yards can out accelerate a Ferrari. We hunted them in verdant valleys and high up in craggy escarpments. In all my years hunting the Cape never have I had buffalo walking in circles actively seeking our scent and for Benin variety this seemed to be the norm.

The first 3 pictures are of the Black variety and is the buffalo described in the text. This is a broomed off Dagga boy of note and weighed in at an impressive 650 kilos which is about 1300 pounds.

The following pictures very well illustrate the Black/Red coloration which would make for a stunning mount. A poacher had got to this buff well before us and it had lost some condition. Nevertheless a good one to take. We were not hunting for inches but rather targeting the solitares - the old solitary bulls.

Will post a report later showing some other impressive buff and stuff.

Note I am in the process of applying for a PH license here in Benin and if successful hope to return in April to clean up the quota. Where else can you hunt a handful of Dagga boys all in for under ten grand?

If you are nervous about Ebola then refrain from licking anyone and boil your fruit bat for a full fifteen minutes.

ROYAL KAFUE LTD
Email - kafueroyal@gmail.com
Tel/Whatsapp (00260) 975315144
Instagram - kafueroyal

Posts: 9954 | Location: Zambia | Registered: 10 April 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Andrew you looking a bit skinny and hot? You sure you didnt catch anything there??

Thor Kirchner
Munyamadzi Game Ranch
+260 978157643
P.O. Box 570049
Nyimba, Zambia
www.thorwildlifesafaris.com
munyamadzi@live.com

Posts: 315 | Location: Luangwa, Zambia | Registered: 04 June 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of fairgame
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by poacher458:
Andrew you looking a bit skinny and hot? You sure you didnt catch anything there??

Hunting fever mate and yes it was warm.

ROYAL KAFUE LTD
Instagram - kafueroyal

Administrator
posted Hide Post
Fantastic!

I love those reports and pictures.

www.accuratereloading.com
Instagram : ganyana2000

Posts: 68668 | Location: Dubai, UAE | Registered: 08 January 1998Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
This sounds like a great area and exciting hunting experience. I can't wait to hear more about this, Andrew!

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Awesome report Andrew. Looks like a blast.

Posts: 1490 | Location: New York | Registered: 01 January 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of samir
posted Hide Post
Good luck with your license tu2

DRSS
Searcy 470 NE

Posts: 1436 | Location: San Diego | Registered: 02 July 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Charles_Helm
posted Hide Post
quote:
We were not hunting for inches but rather targeting the solitares - the old solitary bulls.

Most excellent.

Posts: 8773 | Location: Republic of Texas | Registered: 24 April 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Glad to hear you're back! Very nice Buffalo Andrew. Can't wait to see more pictures of the rest.

Posts: 2624 | Location: Colorado | Registered: 26 May 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
congratulations

Posts: 920 | Location: Chico California | Registered: 02 May 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Nakihunter
posted Hide Post
Wow!

Nice looking rifle with Faisal. What is it?

"When the wind stops....start rowing. When the wind starts, get the sail up quick."

Posts: 11208 | Location: New Zealand | Registered: 02 July 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of A.Dahlgren
posted Hide Post
Congrats! Love the ridges on that buff

Posts: 2638 | Location: North | Registered: 24 May 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of DCS Member
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Nakihunter:
Wow!

Nice looking rifle with Faisal. What is it?

Ditto.

I meant to be DSC Member...bad typing skills.

Marcus Cady

DRSS

Posts: 3453 | Location: Dallas | Registered: 19 March 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Keep us posted Andrew! tu2

Posts: 1815 | Location: Sinton, Texas | Registered: 08 November 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Wink
posted Hide Post
That looks like fun indeed.

AR, where the hopeless, hysterical hypochondriacs of history become the nattering nabobs of negativisim.

Posts: 7046 | Location: Rambouillet, France | Registered: 25 June 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of fairgame
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by A.Dahlgren:
Congrats! Love the ridges on that buff

Fancy a trip end of April?

ROYAL KAFUE LTD
Instagram - kafueroyal

One of Us
Picture of fairgame
posted Hide Post
Another Benin bad boy of the 'He who has many toes tribe'

ROYAL KAFUE LTD
Instagram - kafueroyal

one of us
Picture of bwanamrm
posted Hide Post
No wonder those guys have so much better balance than I do! But it must be hell finding a pair of boots that fit properly!

Seriously, some damn nice buffalo there gentlemen. Benin is a very interesting country to hunt and has some of the biggest buffalo in west Africa. And as Mr. Baldry states, they are very reasonable to hunt as well. A good reason to put Benin on you "to go" list!

On the plains of hesitation lie the bleached bones of ten thousand, who on the dawn of victory lay down their weary heads resting, and there resting, died.

If you can talk with crowds and keep your virtue,
Or walk with Kings - nor lose the common touch...
Yours is the Earth and everything that's in it,
And - which is more - you'll be a Man, my son!
- Rudyard Kipling

Life grows grim without senseless indulgence.

Posts: 7558 | Location: Victoria, Texas | Registered: 30 March 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
That last line had me laughing pretty good. The hunting there is still priced pretty well. Is it Benin or Burkina where you are only allowed to shoot one animal per day?

Posts: 295 | Location: Sk, Canada | Registered: 06 September 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Bloody mean looking bastards.

Good luck with your license tu2

Posts: 15784 | Location: Australia and Saint Germain en Laye | Registered: 30 December 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
This is the second hunt I have set up for Faisal in this area. It seems like he has a talend to get the big buffs tu2

I just hunted Buffalos in Cameroon and have to admit that the quality of west african buffalos is a lot better in Benin and Burkina.

The guy that got arrested last season had 5 toes if I remember it correct

http://www.dr-safaris.com/
Instagram: dr-safaris

Posts: 2091 | Location: Around the wild pockets of Europe | Registered: 09 January 2009Reply With Quote