THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM AFRICAN HUNTING FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Hunting  Hop To Forums  African Big Game Hunting    Sondelani Ranch-Zim Authorities investigate croc/fish deaths

Moderators: Saeed
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Sondelani Ranch-Zim Authorities investigate croc/fish deaths
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Authority investigates crocodile, fish deaths

Bulawayo Bureau

THE Zimbabwe Parks and Wildlife Management Authority is investigating the death of two crocodiles and hundreds of fish at Sondelani Ranch in West Nicholson, an official said yesterday.

The department instituted investigations following an article published in The Chronicle on Saturday, as it had apparently not been informed of the deaths by authorities at the ranch.

In an interview, the western region regional manager Mr Tawanda Gotosa said the deaths of the crocodiles and fish could not be ignored hence the need for an investigation.

"We are sending an investigating team, among them aquatic ecologists and officials from the Environmental Management Authority, to take independent samples of the water and check if there was any foul play. The samples will be tested at local institutions.

"We are expecting the preliminary report to be out by Friday because we feel numbers involved are significant," he said.

Sondelani Ranch is one of the best private wildlife sanctuaries in Matabeleland South Province, which attracts many hunters and fishermen.

Workers at the ranch revealed that two crocodiles, and hundreds of fish, mainly bream and barbel, died under unclear circumstances at the ranch over one week.

While the workers thought there could have been foul play, management insisted the deaths were likely to have been caused by lack of oxygen in the water.

The management reportedly took water samples for testing but did not inform the workers of the results.

The workers ate most of the dead fish.

Kathi

kathi@wildtravel.net
708-425-3552

"The world is a book, and those who do not travel read only one page."

Posts: 9486 | Location: Chicago | Registered: 23 July 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Use Enough Gun
posted Hide Post
"The Workers ate most of the dead fish". Now that's like puttin' the canary in the mine. . . .Why send up an investigative team after that?

One of Us
Picture of NitroX
posted Hide Post
Is Sondelani still owned by Basil Steyn and co?

John H.

NitroExpress.com - the net's double rifle forum

Posts: 10138 | Location: Wine Country, Barossa Valley, Australia | Registered: 06 March 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by NitroX:
Is Sondelani still owned by Basil Steyn and co?

Yup

Posts: 3026 | Location: Zimbabwe | Registered: 23 July 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Safari-Hunt
posted Hide Post
Lack of oxygen ??? So how did the crocs die ?
Seeing that the workers ate the fish and didnt get sick from it I suppose it is right to say about lack of oxygen.

Frederik Cocquyt
I always try to use enough gun but then sometimes a brainshot works just as good.

Posts: 2548 | Location: Pretoria, Gauteng, South Africa | Registered: 06 May 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Try, traditional fish poison?? It doesn't take many brain cells to work that one out- maybe Tawanda should have stuck to being a Geography teacher Wink - or perhaps somebody at parks wanted a bribe "not to investigate" Eeker

Posts: 3026 | Location: Zimbabwe | Registered: 23 July 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Bill 5248
posted Hide Post
There is a large water hole at Sondelani created by a dam not far from the main Lodge. There you can see crocs and hippo and birds. I suspect that this may be the water hole where the deaths occurred. There are always questions of mischief in these cases.

For example there is always a suspicion of a fired employee being responsible. One recent employee was fired for theft. I would also entertain suspicion about natives retaliating after their dogs were shot. I was there in August. Natives were driving their cattle herds onto Sondelani property to graze and drink. The dogs they bring with them also hunt antelope. Sondelani trackers and skinners shoot the dogs right in front of the dog owners. This is meant to discourage the natives from being on private property, but it may also open Sondelani up to sabotage.

You never know, the investigation might be at the request of Sondelani, who is a big political contributor in the community. There aren't too many private game ranches still in operation in Zim. As a consequence they have a lot of business.

That which is not impossible is compulsory

Posts: 161 | Location: Arkansas | Registered: 16 May 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Yes, could be plausible, natural anoxic conditions could have killed the fish, but becomes quite difficult maintaining that theory when barbel and crocs can breathe air! Bang goes that theory!

The initial poison concentrations must have been quite strong to kill the crocs. I am sure the toxicologists will find some interesting data there. I wonder what the end report will be though.

Posts: 302 | Location: England | Registered: 10 November 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of NitroX
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Nzou:
I wonder what the end report will be though.

"Aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaah, how can I help you make your decision?"

Posts: 10138 | Location: Wine Country, Barossa Valley, Australia | Registered: 06 March 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of prairiewolf
posted Hide Post
when was this supposed to have happened? I was fishing the water hole on Sondelani on the 25 and left there on the 27 and never heard or saw anything of this nature.

An armed man is a citizen. An unarmed man is a subject.

Posts: 144 | Location: Alberta Canada | Registered: 28 October 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
This is when the article was published

The Herald (Harare)

1 October 2007
Posted to the web 1 October 2007

Bulawayo Bureau
Harare

Kathi

kathi@wildtravel.net
708-425-3552

"The world is a book, and those who do not travel read only one page."