New
Find
Notify
Tools

Question on British East Africa
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
When was British East Africa renamed Kenya and Tanganyika?

Thanks for your help.

Posts: 7158 | Location: Snake River | Registered: 02 February 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of BaxterB
posted Hide Post
I believe BEA became Kenya colony in 1920.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
If my history class teacher was correct, sometime in the early 1920s, shortly after the end of WW1 with the defeat of the occupying Germans.

Posts: 2030 | Registered: 06 September 2008Reply With Quote
Administrator
posted Hide Post

Posts: 68609 | Location: Dubai, UAE | Registered: 08 January 1998Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Thank you all. I love this place.

Posts: 7158 | Location: Snake River | Registered: 02 February 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
It first gained independence from the United Kingdom on 9 December 1961 as a state headed by Queen Elizabeth II before becoming a republic within the Commonwealth of Nations exactly a year later. After signing the Articles of Union on 22 April 1964 and passing an Act of Union on 25 April, Tanganyika officially joined with the People's Republic of Zanzibar and Pemba to form the United Republic of Tanganyika and Zanzibar on Union Day , 26 April 1964. [1] The new state changed its name to the United Republic of Tanzania within a year.

Posts: 501 | Location: Maryland | Registered: 18 June 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Germany colonized Deutsch-Ostafrika in the 1890's. They lost it in the Treaty of Versailles in 1918 after loosing the war. Rwanda and Burundi went to the Belgians. The area south of the Ruvuma became part of Portuguese Territory. The rest of the area became a League of Nations, later United Nations mandated trust administered by GB and known as Tanganyika. (As remembered from my school days, so I may be a little off)

Posts: 815 | Location: Oklahoma | Registered: 05 March 2013Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I am learning a lot here. Thank you.

one of us
posted Hide Post
In 1984 I had the good fortune to serve arguably the bravest or the brave in the South African bush war. I was at the time part of the fledgling special forces medical Bn later to be designated as 7 med Bn Gp. At the time we were part of Special forces HQ unit in Pretoria.

My first operational tour took me to the special forces base Fort Doppies in the Caprivi, this is where Ndumo Safaris now have their Safari camp on the Kwando river.

Here I met for the first time and thereafter spent time with Col Jan Breytenbach the founder of 32 Bn ( the famed Buffalo battalion of the bush war ) Col Jan as he was known modelled his fighting force on to the model used by Paul Emille von Lettow Vorbeck the famous German general who fought the South Africans in German east Africa in the first world war. Von Lettow Vorbeck was never defeated and he beat Smuts who was a boer bitter ender at his own game of classic guerrilla warfare

It was in this time that Selous was killed at beho beho in 1917.

Col Breytenbach was a student of von Lettow Vorbeck's methods and tactics. At his prompting and after many discussions I too took interest in the topic and this lead me to the book Battle for the Bundu which tells the story of this campaign.

Then after a stint of the coast of Mozambique I was deployed with his famed 32 bn for 4 months on what was to be a classic pseudo operation behind enemy lines.

But further back when I was a school my parents rented a house in Pretoria in just one block down and two away from Peter and Fiona Capstick. this house at one time belonged to general Dan Pienaar who during the First World War was in the expeditionary forces sent to fight Von Lettow Vorbeck. Pienaar fought the Germans during the North Africa campaign in WW2 and died in a plane crash on his way home in Kenya in 1942.

My interest took me to Kenya and Tanzania some time after where I sought out the places of interest to the whole east Africa hunting scene. I was saddened by the state of the Askari monument in Nairobi which was erected to commemorate the brave askari's who fought and died during WW1. I have photographs of this.

What was particularly sad was that the locals were defecating on the monument base. That did not apply just to that particular monument but also the Uhuru monument in Nairobi

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ALF:
In 1984 I had the good fortune to serve arguably the bravest or the brave in the South African bush war. I was at the time part of the fledgling special forces medical Bn later to be designated as 7 med Bn Gp. At the time we were part of Special forces HQ unit in Pretoria.

My first operational tour took me to the special forces base Fort Doppies in the Caprivi, this is where Ndumo Safaris now have their Safari camp on the Kwando river.

Here I met for the first time and thereafter spent time with Col Jan Breytenbach the founder of 32 Bn ( the famed Buffalo battalion of the bush war ) Col Jan as he was known modelled his fighting force on to the model used by Paul Emille von Lettow Vorbeck the famous German general who fought the South Africans in German east Africa in the first world war. Von Lettow Vorbeck was never defeated and he beat Smuts who was a boer bitter ender at his own game of classic guerrilla warfare

It was in this time that Selous was killed at beho beho in 1917.

Col Breytenbach was a student of von Lettow Vorbeck's methods and tactics. At his prompting and after many discussions I too took interest in the topic and this lead me to the book Battle for the Bundu which tells the story of this campaign.

Then after a stint of the coast of Mozambique I was deployed with his famed 32 bn for 4 months on what was to be a classic pseudo operation behind enemy lines.

But further back when I was a school my parents rented a house in Pretoria in just one block down and two away from Peter and Fiona Capstick. this house at one time belonged to general Dan Pienaar who during the First World War was in the expeditionary forces sent to fight Von Lettow Vorbeck. Pienaar fought the Germans during the North Africa campaign in WW2 and died in a plane crash on his way home in Kenya in 1942.

My interest took me to Kenya and Tanzania some time after where I sought out the places of interest to the whole east Africa hunting scene. I was saddened by the state of the Askari monument in Nairobi which was erected to commemorate the brave askari's who fought and died during WW1. I have photographs of this.

What was particularly sad was that the locals were defecating on the monument base. That did not apply just to that particular monument but also the Uhuru monument in Nairobi

Interesting information. Thanks for the post.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by lawndart:
I am learning a lot here. Thank you.

The following is a bit of Tanganyika/Kenya lore.

Kaiser Wilhelm II was the maternal grandson of Queen Victoria. When the boundaries between Kenya and Deutsch-Ostafrika were being drawn up, the Kaiser threw a fit since his grandmother would end up with the two largest mountains in Africa. He begged his grandmother for Kilimanjaro. Supposedly this is the reason for the oddly shaped boundary between the two countries at that point.

Carl Pieters did have signed treaties with the Chaga, so this story may not be completely, or only partially true, but it makes for a fun story.

In my younger days I lived in the Southern Highlands along the path of von Lettow Vorbeck's retreat/invasion of Northern Rhodesia.(depending on your point of view Wink ) An Afrikaner lived a few miles from us, who collected some of the items that were left along the way. The main thing I remember him having was a rifle that a tree had grown around. When a local found a war item they would normally offer it to the Wazungu for a shilling or two. My father ended up with a couple of items that are now long gone. He may have given them to our neighbor that collected these things.

Also in my younger days there used to be a couple of old Askari's that lived in the area around Moshi. For a couple of shillings they would take you out to old battlefields and tell you how the battle unfolded and their roll in the battle. Unfortunately, I never took full advantage of this.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
In my younger days I lived in the Southern Highlands

You didn't perhaps study at St. Michael's & St. Georges?

Posts: 2030 | Registered: 06 September 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by fulvio:
quote:
In my younger days I lived in the Southern Highlands

You didn't perhaps study at St. Michael's & St. Georges?

No. My parents were not fans of the boarding school system of education. We lived in the pori, so were to far away for day school. My mother was also a teacher by profession. I was home-schooled by her, with some help from my father in math and science.

Are you from the Iringa area? Did you go to school there?