New
Find
Notify
Tools

Bovril
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Anyone try Bovril while on safari? I loved the stuff and ate the better part of a jar while I was there. Alister gave me a full jar to bring back with me and then I found Chili flavored Bovril at the Joburg airport and bought some of that, YUM!

Bovril is delicious and made every meal better. I also brought back a bag of hot little bird peppers that the villagers in the area grow.

The only thing I had in Zambia that I didn't like was the tripe from my buffalo. I can eat just about anything but not that. It smelled and tasted just like the buffalo's gut smelled when he was opened up. It was absolutely vile, I had to spit it out. Alister and Abie loved it though.

Andy

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Andy,
To me bovril looks like a combination of boot polish and axle grease. Its smells like rendered animal fat.

Posts: 376 | Location: Phoenix AZ | Registered: 21 September 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Andy,

I consider myself an omnivore and I've eaten anything offered in Africa including a puff adder but I cannot say I enjoy that Bovril. Gawd!!! It is worse than Marmite the next most unpalatable food in Africa.

Mark

MARK H. YOUNG
MARK'S EXCLUSIVE ADVENTURES
7094 Oakleigh Dr. Las Vegas, NV 89110
Office 702-848-1693
Cell, Whats App, Signal 307-250-1156 PREFERRED
E-mail markttc@msn.com
Check us out on https://www.facebook.com/pages...ures/627027353990716

Posts: 13008 | Location: LAS VEGAS, NV USA | Registered: 04 August 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Bahati
posted Hide Post
Mark

I'll remember to have some in camp for you next year.

Bovril on buttered fresh bread is nice. Also on buttered toast. It can also be used very well as a flavour additive in soup or stew. In general terms, Marmite is a veggie deal and Bovril a meat product.

Now, tripe on the other hand - that tastes like crap in any form. There I agree.

Johan

Administrator
posted Hide Post
Ray thought I was stark raving mad, when we came back from our hunt, and I made a cup of Bovril, added some Tabasco and lemon juice.

There is nothing like it.

Alan Vincent loves it the same way too clap

www.accuratereloading.com
Instagram : ganyana2000

Posts: 68668 | Location: Dubai, UAE | Registered: 08 January 1998Reply With Quote
Picture of Canuck
posted Hide Post
Bovril is not uncommon in Canada. I like it...kinda like instant consomme soup. Tobasco and lemon is a little different though. Smiler I am not surprised Alan likes it...he put Tobasco on everything!

I also acquired a taste for marmite while in RSA (and Tanz)...I have it on toast with cheese fairly often now.

Alan Vincent served some marmite to me dissolved in hot water as well, while I was suffering some intenstinal discomfort....I always remember that whenever my GI tract gives me grief and make some for myself.

Cheers,
Canuck

Posts: 7122 | Location: The Rock (southern V.I.) | Registered: 27 February 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Johan,

I would expect nothing else from a first class operation such as yours. The Solberg's will love it I'm sure

Mark

MARK H. YOUNG
MARK'S EXCLUSIVE ADVENTURES
7094 Oakleigh Dr. Las Vegas, NV 89110
Office 702-848-1693
Cell, Whats App, Signal 307-250-1156 PREFERRED
E-mail markttc@msn.com
Check us out on https://www.facebook.com/pages...ures/627027353990716

Posts: 13008 | Location: LAS VEGAS, NV USA | Registered: 04 August 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Bovril with chunky apricot jam and a runny egg on toast. Gods gift to mankind. Try it

Posts: 423 | Location: Natal - South Africa | Registered: 23 September 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Shona
posted Hide Post
This topic makes more sense than most of the stuff on the PF.
clap
To me Bovril smells exactly the same as a dead Elephant that has been lying in the sun for two weeks.
There is also a similar colored fluid draining out of it.

Smell it once and you'll be cured from eating Bovril.

Johann Veldsman

Shona Hunting Adventures

www.facebook.com/shonahunting

www.AfricanHuntingNamibia.com
www.conservation-hunting.com
Mobile: +264 81 128 3105

P.o. Box 564
Outjo
Namibia
Africa

Posts: 196 | Location: Namibia | Registered: 23 September 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Cheers to Johann and the elephant fluid thing. And Canuck, you can achive the same results by eating bad fish.

Posts: 376 | Location: Phoenix AZ | Registered: 21 September 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Use Enough Gun
posted Hide Post
Bovril and Marmite. What a deadly duo! If you want to really impress your friends and relatives, have a jar of each on hand! rotflmo

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Try this...

make french toast... smear with bovril... put some very good cheese (like aged gouda) between the bread and you have one tasty sandwich...
Aaron

Posts: 581 | Location: Cheney, KS or Africa Somewhere | Registered: 07 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Aaron, that sounds like a plan
I will just add the home made apricot jam to the mix.Must be slightly sour though

Posts: 423 | Location: Natal - South Africa | Registered: 23 September 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of namibiahunter
posted Hide Post
All these posts about Bovril and Marmite kinda made me hungry to I went to fix me up some with toast. Found the Marmite but not the Bovril. Come to find out that one of my kids tried some, didn't like it, fed it to our English Bulldog (he's English ain't he? and the English love Bovril, right?) Well, the dog didn't eat for 3 days after he was given that stuff - afraid we were trying to poison him.

Namibiahunter

Posts: 665 | Location: Oregon or Namibia | Registered: 13 June 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
My dogs having Stomach issues and just puked on the floor some roast beef from dinner....

If I put it in an old moldy mayo jar;you could kill 2 birds with 1 stone.....

shipping is free.....

Dan

Posts: 285 | Location: Red Hook,NY | Registered: 17 May 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Bovril/Marmite are totally uunedible but I love Mrs Balls Chutney!

Wish I could get that in Finland.

http://www.tgsafari.co.za

"What doesn´t kill you makes you stranger!"

Posts: 2213 | Location: Finland | Registered: 02 May 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of loud-n-boomer
posted Hide Post
quote:
Bovril/Marmite

along with Vegemite are among those things that you either love or hate. I am in the love it catagory. Especially on my toast at breakfast.

Dave

One morning I shot an elephant in my pajamas. How he got into my pajamas I'll never know. - Groucho Marx

Posts: 3832 | Location: Eastern Slope, Colorado, USA | Registered: 01 March 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Bahati
posted Hide Post
We've had a new, very popular one in camp this year - a sweet chilli sauce made by Wellingtons. Very good.

Johan

One of Us
Picture of kudu4u
posted Hide Post
quote:
Bovril/Marmite are totally uunedible but I love Mrs Balls Chutney!

Wish I could get that in Finland.

cewe,
Tino and Amanda fed us well didn't they!! Sniper is there now. I went in July.

"In these days of mouth-foaming Disneyism......"--- Capstick
Don't blame the hunters for what the poachers do!---me

Benefactor Member NRA

Posts: 477 | Location: Tennessee | Registered: 13 July 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
kudu4u: Tino and Amanda always feed us well!

http://www.tgsafari.co.za

"What doesn´t kill you makes you stranger!"

Posts: 2213 | Location: Finland | Registered: 02 May 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Stephen Palos
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Saeed:
Ray thought I was stark raving mad, when we came back from our hunt, and I made a cup of Bovril, added some Tabasco and lemon juice.

There is nothing like it.

Alan Vincent loves it the same way too clap

This really is the best way to appreciate it. Two big teaspoons in a mug. Pour on the boiling water. Add Tobasco, lemon & pepper (It's salty enough for most tastes) It's also good this way for flu and hangovers!

http://www.bigbore.org/
http://www.chasa.co.za

Addicted to Recoil !
I hunt because I am human. Hunting is the expression of my humanity...

Posts: 441 | Location: Randfontein, South Africa | Registered: 07 January 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Use Enough Gun
posted Hide Post
My wife informed me last night that she quite likes the Bovril and got used to it on this last hunt. Apparently, the PH's wife and her had it regularly each morning on their toast and biscuits.

One of Us
Picture of Bahati
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Use Enough Gun:
My wife informed me last night that she quite likes the Bovril and got used to it on this last hunt. Apparently, the PH's wife and her had it regularly each morning on their toast and biscuits.

I told ya! It is especially good on Provita biscuits with thin slices of cheese.

Johan

One of Us
posted Hide Post
LOOKS LIKE TAR, SMELLS LIKE, WELL YOU KNOW

NRA LIFE MEMBER
DU DIAMOND SPONSOR IN PERPETUITY
DALLAS SAFARI CLUB LIFE MEMBER
SCI FOUNDATION MEMBER

Posts: 1366 | Location: SPARTANBURG SOUTH CAROLINA | Registered: 02 July 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
You guys are great at telling me what it looks like and tastes like. My ? is WTF is Bovril?

Pancho
LTC, USA, RET

"Participating in a gun buy-back program because you think that criminals have too many guns is like having yourself castrated because you think your neighbors have too many kids." Clint Eastwood

Give me Liberty or give me Corona.

Posts: 937 | Location: Roswell, NM | Registered: 02 December 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
A black meat extract spread & flavouring, excellent on toast with some grated cheese on top & cooked under the grill, superb flavour enhancer in stews. Slightly runny texture so it spreads & mixes easily.
Steve.

Posts: 540 | Location: Nelson, New Zealand | Registered: 07 March 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Stephen Palos:
This really is the best way to appreciate it. Two big teaspoons in a mug. Pour on the boiling water. Add Tobasco, lemon & pepper (It's salty enough for most tastes) It's also good this way for flu and hangovers!

I'll try & skip the flu but I might treat myself to a hangover just to try it, could've done with some on Sunday. Big Grin
Steve

Posts: 540 | Location: Nelson, New Zealand | Registered: 07 March 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Have not tried Bovril, but will ask, next time. I did like Marmite on toast, at breakfast.

Jeff

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I like bovril 10X better than Marmite or Vegimite. It was good to figure out what "men at work" was singing about in 1985 with "burned out combi" and "a vegimite sandwich". LOL

Posts: 581 | Location: Cheney, KS or Africa Somewhere | Registered: 07 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Shinzo:
A black meat extract spread & flavouring, excellent on toast with some grated cheese on top & cooked under the grill, superb flavour enhancer in stews. Slightly runny texture so it spreads & mixes easily.
Steve.

What is the extract? Blood, s**t, fat, as there's not a lot of choices, to extract from a cow.

Posts: 3785 | Location: B.C. Canada | Registered: 08 November 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I'd prefer not to know the details of how they get it, I just know I like the taste of it. Wink I reckon though its probably the scraps cooked up & the resulting liquid reduced (cook speak for concentrated) Think of the dark stuff thats left in the skillet after cooking a T bone, tasty as all hell & great as a gravy base. Smiler
Steve

One of Us
Picture of 375 fanatic
posted Hide Post
For a change my retail experience can help on this topic whe went for a tour to the Bovril factory.

I am sorry to say if you have been to the Factory you will not eat any one off the two anymore
since then my favourite is a Sardine and condense milk sandwitch

"Buy land they have stopped making it"- Mark Twain

Posts: 914 | Location: Burgersfort the big Kudu mekka of South Africa | Registered: 27 April 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
As I recall I suggest to Alan and Saeed that it could possibly be improved upon by running it through the buffalo one more time! clap

Next time I get them together I am going to make Menudo.

Ray Atkinson
Atkinson Hunting Adventures
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

rayatkinsonhunting@gmail.com

Posts: 42156 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Atkinson:
As I recall I suggest to Alan and Saeed that it could possibly be improved upon by running it through the buffalo one more time! clap

Next time I get them together I am going to make Menudo.

animal

Posts: 3785 | Location: B.C. Canada | Registered: 08 November 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by adrook:
Anyone try Bovril while on safari?

That stuff is disgusting. Give me strawberry jam instead. Smiler

Posts: 18352 | Location: Salt Lake City, Utah USA | Registered: 20 April 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of David Hulme
posted Hide Post
Reading this thread has made me peckish. Think I'll go make myself a bovril/marmite/oxo sandwich - yum! And I don't care how it is made!

Posts: 2270 | Location: Zimbabwe | Registered: 28 February 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 375 fanatic:
Sardine and condense milk sandwitch

Now we're REALLY getting into disgusting. Big Grin Big Grin
Steve

one of us
posted Hide Post
I watched a friend eat sardines and Oreos years ago-but he was a lawyer and would eat anything!

Anything Worth Doing Is Worth Overdoing.

Posts: 1275 | Location: Fla | Registered: 16 March 2001Reply With Quote