Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Anybody Used Rogue Gaitirs?
 Login/Join

posted
I am trying to find some short gaitors here in the UK and I have just come across these..

Rogue Boots & gaitors

The gaitors are at the bottom of the page..

I was wondering if anybody has used them? Being waterproof canvas, I am wondering if they are noisy?

Regards,

Pete

Posts: 5684 | Location: North Wales UK | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Charles Mc Williams
posted Hide Post
Pete, i have always used "gaiters" bought from a outdoor store. All are gore-tex / nylon afair and they do make the traditional "swishing" sound when walking through brush. I dont know if canvas would be any quieter or not. The problem with canvas is you have to keep "water proofing" them and the silicone smell will probably spook more game than the sound. Hope this helps you out. Charlie

Posts: 343 | Location: U.S.A. | Registered: 16 March 2005Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
Charlie,

I am just looking for something that keeps the sand and crap out of my boots rather than anything waterproof, so smell ect should't be an issue...I sent off for some canvas ones and the guy sent nylon ones instead and they are noisy, I mean really noisy, so they have gone back..

Regards,

Pete

Posts: 5684 | Location: North Wales UK | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Pete,
Make your own. Cut the bottom legs of an old pair of jeans and sew elastic into the tops. Most of the PH's I have hunted with have done that.
cheers
Ed

Posts: 93 | Location: Hants. UK | Registered: 05 January 2004Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
Ed,

Thats Plan B! But with my "domestic skills", £10 on gaitors would be well spent! Roll Eyes

Regards,

Pete

one of us
posted Hide Post
Pete,
That's what wives/girlfriends are for Razzer

Posts: 93 | Location: Hants. UK | Registered: 05 January 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of PWN375
posted Hide Post
Pete E,

I have a pair my PH in RSA gave me in 2000. I have worn them every year pheasant hunting in Kansas during more than 25 trips and while on 3 hunts in Africa totalling over 40 days. So far they have proven indestructible and are quiet and comfortable. It will be money well spent. Photo below is me wearing Rogues at the conclusion of a buff hunt.

Perry

Posts: 1144 | Location: Green Country Oklahoma | Registered: 16 December 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have a pair of Rogues "gaitirs" that I´ve used on three hunts -carefree and they work. You can probably make them yourself but as I´m lazy I wouldn´t.

http://www.tgsafari.co.za

"What doesn´t kill you makes you stranger!"

Posts: 2213 | Location: Finland | Registered: 02 May 2003Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
Perry, Cewe,

Thanks for the endorsement, it makes buying blind a bit easier!

Regards,

Pete

posted Hide Post
Does anyone know of a source for this footwear here in the United States? Can you purchase from the company? I would suppose the shipping would be fierce, though.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I would suggest the ones made by "Boyt" which I bought a pair of at SCI in Reno in '04 for $10.00 They are canvas type but not noisy or waterproof. I have had several pair made (including one from a leopard print material that I had lots of fun with in Safari Camp ). For the trouble involved in making a pair, the Boyt at $10 is the way to go, if you can get them there.

"Do not go where the path may lead, go instead where there is no path and leave a trail" - Emerson

Posts: 106 | Location: Rockwall, Texas | Registered: 16 March 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
RamRod is spot on!

These are the best hot weather gaiters I have used or could find. The 10 oz. tan canvas quiets down after breaking in, but I couldn't hear them to begin with. I don't see why they should be waterproof, you're wearing shorts anyway. Then the evaporating water keeps your ankles cool later. Big Grin

Buy three pairs! Keep two, and give a pair to your favorite finish carpenter. Our guy wears them all the time to keep sawdust out of his shoes. You could even get him/her to break them in for you! Wink

Item # GA-1

www.boytharness.com

Boyt Harness Company 1-800-550-2698

Minkman

Posts: 659 | Location: "The Muck", NJ | Registered: 10 April 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Nevster
posted Hide Post
Pete let me know when you get them if they are any good. Last time i just used some homemade cotton ones. They were light, quiet and cool but had to spend ages picking thorns and blackjacks out o them at end of each day.

So let me know if those rouges are good and i might pick some up aswell.

Posts: 168 | Location: London,UK | Registered: 10 April 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of loud-n-boomer
posted Hide Post
Pete:

I have a pair of the Rogues that my PH gave me in 2001. I use them all the time while hunting around my home in Northern California, where we have weed seeds that will rival anything in the world for obnoxous. The Rogues are well worth the price.

Dave

One morning I shot an elephant in my pajamas. How he got into my pajamas I'll never know. - Groucho Marx

Posts: 3832 | Location: Eastern Slope, Colorado, USA | Registered: 01 March 2001Reply With Quote