New
Find
Notify
Tools

Ammo Confiscated by QATAR in DOHA!!
 Login/Join

One Of Us
posted
I just learned something new.... seems that one of our fellow hunters, and a very high profile guns and hunting writers, recently flew from San Francisco to DOHA on QATAR. He argued adamantly, and with no avail, with the check-in agent at SFO that his Ammo needed to be listed on the Airline Document with his Guns... she REFUSED!!
When he arrived at DOHA and was processing thru, the Police confiscated his ammo- 375 H&H and 303 British, BECAUSE IT WASN'T LISTED!!
Obviously, he had no recourse, and he flew on to Africa sans ammo... fortunately 375 H&H Belted is very easy to replace on arrival... 303 British was another story!!
So, another new learning.... ALWAYS INSIST THAT YOUR AMMO IS PROPERLY LISTED WITH YOUR GUN WHEN FLYING TO AFRICA!!
I knew it had to be stored in a locked container, separate from the guns, and limited to the IATA rules maximum of 5 Kilos, or 11.5 lbs...
GO FIGURE... is this simply playing hardball, or it is aimed at hampering hunters enroute to Africa??
I was going to try QATAR Airlines next year to Tanzania as Alaska Airlines mileage program has joined the ONE WORLD ALLIANCE... and dumped Emirates Airlines... I also have United Mileage to burn up... IDAKNOW??!!

470EDDY

Posts: 2674 | Location: The Other Washington | Registered: 24 March 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of crshelton
posted Hide Post
Sad, but true that all airline personnel are not well trained nor do they all follow the rules.
Happened to me twice in the past and I write it off to incompetence or poor training.
The competence improved after I began flying only first class on American.
Burned up a lot of Advantage miles, but things really are better up front.

NRA Life Benefactor Member,
DRSS, DWWC, Whittington
Center,Android Reloading
Ballistics App at
http://www.xplat.net/

Posts: 2294 | Location: Republic of Texas | Registered: 25 May 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I was in camp with a well know writer last September, Zambezi Delta Safaris, who had his ammo taken. It happened to be .303 British, too. Possibly the same hunter, he had a really good hunt anyway, Mark Galdane was able to come up with 2 boxes of .303 ammo. The hunter was able to shoot an animal or two with the rifle as well. Nice gun, .303 H&H single shot.
We’ve flown Qatar several times and make sure my ammo is included, TWG makes sure.

Karl Evans

Posts: 2899 | Location: Emhouse, Tx | Registered: 03 February 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
That's good to know, I too am looking at flying Qutar to Tanz in Oct. I'm looking at Ethiopian Air also if things have settled down.

Administrator
posted Hide Post
Gentlemen,

Can someone explain something to me?

The way I understand it, one gets a permit for both his rifles and ammo before departing.

Was this obtained beforehand?

www.accuratereloading.com
Instagram : ganyana2000

Posts: 68668 | Location: Dubai, UAE | Registered: 08 January 1998Reply With Quote
One Of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Saeed:
Gentlemen,

Can someone explain something to me?

The way I understand it, one gets a permit for both his rifles and ammo before departing.

Was this obtained beforehand?

Saeed,
Flying from the US there really isn't "a permit" to be obtained!! We are obligated to "notify your carrier that you are: "intending to carry firearms" and I also report x# rounds with each firearm.
Unless you are transiting a country requiring a permit, like Holland, where you must obtain a formal permit, that' it... and Holland doesn't require info on ammo!!??... or at least not last time I flew through!!
I think Karl hit it for these days, using Travel With Guns as your agent, it will get documented correctly.
Our high profile writer actually argued with the check in agent to document ammo, she refused...obviously NOT KNOWING the requirements of her employer Country requirements... the traveler did!!

I guess we have to go so far as politely declining the reservation if they refuse this important request!!??

One doesn't make a BIG FLAP at the airport these days for fear of being arrested and put on the NO FLY LIST... especially when the flap is surrounding guns n ammo at an airport!!

470EDDY

Posts: 2674 | Location: The Other Washington | Registered: 24 March 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Was the ammo listed on his 4457 along with the guns? A custom agent in Lubec Maine suggested this to me, and I followed his suggestion. At least part of you paperwork would show the ammo.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by K Evans:
I was in camp with a well know writer last September, Zambezi Delta Safaris, who had his ammo taken. It happened to be .303 British, too. Possibly the same hunter, he had a really good hunt anyway, Mark Galdane was able to come up with 2 boxes of .303 ammo. The hunter was able to shoot an animal or two with the rifle as well. Nice gun, .303 H&H single shot.
We’ve flown Qatar several times and make sure my ammo is included, TWG makes sure.

I think you mean Mark Haldane of Zambese Delta Safais? A first class individual on and off the hunting field! Definitely goes the extra mile to keep his clients happy.

JCHB

Posts: 423 | Location: KZN province South Africa | Registered: 24 July 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Yep on Mark Haldane, fat fingers trying to type on phone…

Karl Evans

Posts: 2899 | Location: Emhouse, Tx | Registered: 03 February 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I would advise anyone to utilize a booking service such as TWG, when traveling abroad with firearms. I have had no problems transiting through countries (airports) such as Amsterdam. Nor problems with airlines.

Proper Planning Prevents Piss Poor Performance

Tim

One Of Us
posted Hide Post
* I agree that BIZ and FIRST pax are treated better and with more respect.

* I don't know if all Customs Agents would agree to listing ammo on the 4457. Ammo is consumables and not serial numbered, some has lot numbers. That is intended for goods that will be returned... and one could explain (some)will likely be brought back.

* TWG and Gracy Travel do know what needs to be done for US travelers. I don't think they do Mileage Plan bookings, which is more problematic in making the notification required when flying international with guns. Surprisingly, these employees are NOT the sharpest, working with dedicated passengers!!

* I think I will start preparing a list of guns and ammo, carry plenty of copies, give one to the check in agent, one to TSA, and put one in my rifle case... so I can honestly say I reported this at check in!!

* Now I am more worried about traveling with my new treasure, a 375Flanged Mag!!... if I lose that ammo, it won't be found by the outfitter!!

I am seriously looking at Tim Hearld's group safari in 2024 with Uganda Wildlife... and adding the 2 other legs for the experience, different trophies, and Murchison Falls!!

CheerZ,

470EDDY

One Of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by K Evans:

Karl, I will bet it was a Holland and Holland ROYAL double in 303 British??!!

CheerZ,

470EDDY

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Yep, a damned nice H&H, too.

Karl Evans

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I’ve said before that one should always print the airlines, TSA’s and US customs regulations and policies relating to ones travel. That way when one of those people think they know what they’re doing, but don’t, you can gently (or otherwise) correct them.

Posts: 169 | Location: So Cal, ....USA | Registered: 25 May 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by armbar:
I’ve said before that one should always print the airlines, TSA’s and US customs regulations and policies relating to ones travel. That way when one of those people think they know what they’re doing, but don’t, you can gently (or otherwise) correct them.
Sounds like a good idea, but unfortunately, most of those who don't know what they're doing can't read, either, so having the printed regs makes no difference.

Posts: 13243 | Location: Henly, TX, USA | Registered: 04 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Michael Robinson
posted Hide Post
Unless you declare your firearms and ammunition, up front and beforehand, in your ticketing information, you are at the mercy of the ticket agent.

You do not want to be there.

TWG covers all of that, for a nominal fee that I gladly pay every time.

Mike

Wilderness is my cathedral, and hunting is my prayer.

Posts: 13623 | Location: New England | Registered: 06 June 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Use Enough Gun
posted Hide Post
quote:
TWG covers all of that, for a nominal fee that I gladly pay every time.

Yep. tu2

One Of Us
posted Hide Post
The trouble I find today is all of the special deals on airline fares, and also access to Mileage plans and upgrades one can do.... not all travel agencies work with Airline Mileage Plans now... Do TWG and Gracey work with Mileage plans, or are they completely competitive of all lower fares out there.... there is a BIGGGGG difference in many quotes for Biz and First Class fares out there if you don't shop them??!!

The downside to these are the agents NOT knowing or refusing to deal with proper airline notifications for guns and ammo that is so critical today??!!

CheerZ,

470EDDY