THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM AFRICAN HUNTING FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Hunting  Hop To Forums  African Big Game Hunting    Skull Picture - Name the African Critter!!!

Moderators: Saeed
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Skull Picture - Name the African Critter!!!
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of Bill C
posted
To keep our minds sharp and senses finely tuned until the Tanzania buffalo hunt drawing...let's play a little game. Big Grin

For AR bragging rights - name the critter:

Posts: 3153 | Location: PA | Registered: 02 August 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of shakari
posted Hide Post
There's nothing to scale it to but I'd say that's a Panthera Leo....

One of Us
Picture of fusino
posted Hide Post
Hyena

--->Happiness is nothing but health and a poor memory<---Albert Schweitzer
--->All I ever wanted was to be somebody; I guess I should have been more specific<---Lily Tomlin

One of Us
Picture of Michael Robinson
posted Hide Post
Yes, lion.

Mike

Wilderness is my cathedral, and hunting is my prayer.

Posts: 13642 | Location: New England | Registered: 06 June 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of shakari
posted Hide Post
Looking at it again I think you might be right - I can't see how long the skull is....... but it does loook shorter than the Lion, Leopard & Tigress skull I have in front of me.

I wonder if it's possible to post a picture with some kind of scale on it and maybe twist it round a little to help?

One of Us
Picture of Nevster
posted Hide Post
Panthera Pardus in my opinion, aka Leopard. Or a vervet monkey is its highly zoomed in Wink

Posts: 168 | Location: London,UK | Registered: 10 April 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Bill C
posted Hide Post
I didn't want to make it too easy...but here's something to compare it to (those of us visiting the dry country of Zim this year - pls ignore the can to the left!!!):

Any other educated guesses???

One of Us
Picture of fusino
posted Hide Post
quote:
Looking at it again I think you might be right - I can't see how long the skull is....... but it does loook shorter than the Lion, Leopard & Tigress skull I have in front of me.

That short look of the skull made me think hyena. But I was wrong. With that can of beer next to it, it definitely looks longer. I guess the fangs are much too long to be a hyena as well.

--->Happiness is nothing but health and a poor memory<---Albert Schweitzer
--->All I ever wanted was to be somebody; I guess I should have been more specific<---Lily Tomlin

one of us
Picture of shakari
posted Hide Post
It's always difficult to tell from a photo - but could it be a Lioness?

Ah hell, maybe I'll just go & drink a castle or two .......and then think about it some more.... jump

posted Hide Post
Looks like a lion to me
Bill

One of Us
Picture of D99
posted Hide Post
MEOW!!!!!!!!!
LION OR LEOPARD?

Posts: 4729 | Location: Australia | Registered: 06 February 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Widowmaker416
posted Hide Post
Lion

"America's Meat - - - SPAM"

As always, Good Hunting!!!

Widowmaker416

Posts: 1782 | Location: New Jersey USA | Registered: 12 July 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
All physical charecteristics match the leopard skull sitting on my desk. If it is a lion, lion and leopard skulls are much more alike then I would have suspected.

465H&H

Posts: 5686 | Location: Nampa, Idaho | Registered: 10 February 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Gentlemen,
That is the skull of a Del Carmen Catawampus, only known to exist in the Del Carmen Mountains South of Boquillas, Mexico adjacent to the Big Bend National Park in Texas...Stranger than that is the legs on these critters are shorter on one side than on the other, so they can run around the high peaks of that mountainous area, The idea when hunting them is to force them to turn around and thus the roll off the side of the hill and can be speared at your leasure..It is great sport for those with a lot of stamina and who don't like to be coddled in camp...I have several mounted in my Den, they are judged by the length of the tusks that protrude from the elephant like trunk...Of course you can mount the skull in such a fashion as this man did his, but your really do the Catawampus a disservice by doing so, its just not cricket...

Ray Atkinson
Atkinson Hunting Adventures
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

rayatkinsonhunting@gmail.com

Posts: 42163 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Ray!
Did you fall off your horse and bump your head again? jump

465H&H

Posts: 5686 | Location: Nampa, Idaho | Registered: 10 February 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Baboon.

Or I´m a monkeys uncle! jump

http://www.tgsafari.co.za

"What doesn´t kill you makes you stranger!"

Posts: 2213 | Location: Finland | Registered: 02 May 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Bill C
posted Hide Post
Drum roll please..... LION Cool

I just picked this up from the taxidermist, measures 15" long and 9.5" wide (25.5"). I was surprised at the size. I think skulls make neat triophies. Terry - show us your croc skull again please!

For those of you who answered "Ray", close, but his teeth are more worn down. Big Grin

Picture of T.Carr
posted Hide Post

Posts: 5338 | Location: A Texan in the Missouri Ozarks | Registered: 02 February 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of shakari
posted Hide Post
Sigh, shoulda stuck with my first opinion - One of my favourite skulls I have here is a tigress and the one I'd like the most is a flatdog like TC's. Somehow I've just never got round to having one done for myself.......