THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM AFRICAN HUNTING FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Hunting  Hop To Forums  African Big Game Hunting    John Hunter Books?? Hornady DG Ammo Board

Moderators: Saeed
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

John Hunter Books?? Hornady DG Ammo Board
 Login/Join

One Of Us
posted
I am looking for nice first edition copies with dust jackets of "White Hunter" and Tales of the African Frontier by John Hunter and associate Mannix. This wil finish out my collection. Appreciate your help in finding these.

Also,looking for a SHOT Show series of the Hornady Dangerous Game ammunition boards put out several years ago. They have 5 or so cartridges displayed to promote the new Dangerous Game Series of ammo.

Please PM me if you will part with any of these items... you know Trophy Room fodder!!

470EDDY

Posts: 2674 | Location: The Other Washington | Registered: 24 March 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of shakari
posted Hide Post
Here you go: http://www.shakariconnection.c...frica-authors-h.html

About 3 quarters of the way down the page.

One Of Us
posted Hide Post
Steve;
Thanks very much for your post. Great website, had never been there before!!
That said, I checked your references for White Hunter and Tales of the African Frontiers, although showing on your webiste, link is not active and when checking AbeBooks directly and also one of the suppliers listed by phone...not available!!

Still Looking!!

470EDDY

Posts: 2674 | Location: The Other Washington | Registered: 24 March 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Cane Rat
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 470EDDY:
I am looking for nice first edition copies with dust jackets of "White Hunter" and Tales of the African Frontier by John Hunter and associate Mannix. This wil finish out my collection. Appreciate your help in finding these.

Also,looking for a SHOT Show series of the Hornady Dangerous Game ammunition boards put out several years ago. They have 5 or so cartridges displayed to promote the new Dangerous Game Series of ammo.

Please PM me if you will part with any of these items... you know Trophy Room fodder!!

A first edition of "White Hunter" will set you back a bloody fortune, and I do mean a bloody fortune. It was published just before WWII and VERY few copies were printed because printing was discontinued early on because of the war, the few extant copies run into the many thousands of $$$. You are much better off looking for the 1986 Safari Press slipcased edition reprint which is the next most desirable. I have #465 out of 1000 copies. I paid $45 in 1986, they now go for $300 - $600. If you do go that route make sure it is truly the 1986 edition, there are many unscrupulous sellers attempting to sell the newer Safari Press editions for the price of the 1986 edition. The 1986 edition was bound in imitation snakeskin and came in a slipcase, the newer editions came only in a simple dust jacket and are worth only $25-$50. Sorry to be the bearer of bad news.

"Tales of the African Frontier" can be found in beautiful condition with jacket quite reasonably on Advanced Book Exchange,

www.abebooks.com

Good Luck!

Posts: 2767 | Location: The Peach State | Registered: 03 March 2010Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of shakari
posted Hide Post
The ABE site does go down occasionally and you may have hit one of those times but I just tried it and the links worked for me buddy.

Try these:

http://www.abebooks.com/servle...an&pfxid=a_300915157

http://www.abebooks.com/servle...an&pfxid=a_320891612

What's on offer varies from day to day but there's usually at least one first edition there...... as has been said, they're not gonna be cheap though.

Incidentally, the most expensive book on the site is a signed Hemmingway 1st edition and the seller is asking US$225000! Eeker

Bottom of this page: http://www.abebooks.com/servle...an&pfxid=a_240903993

The good news is there are shed loads of good African hunting books on the site with prices from about a dollar each. Wink

One Of Us
posted Hide Post
Steve;
YOU ARE A PRINCE!! Thank you for guiding me through this web of cyber world...when I checked in directly I could see Tales...without a dust jacket but not the last one with dust jacket and in fine condition...that said, I spoke with that supplier a day or two ago and they claimed it was gone...it is still there and it took my order from your connection!! We will see what happens.

Now, re White Hunter...Wow prices??!!...Just like Tanzania!! Last copy I saw was at a Portland SCI auction dinner under a exhibitors table in a box of miscellaneous books..$15!! Guess I missed a real bargain!!...that was 10-15 years ago though.
I will keep looking...and I will find one...you know it's the hunt that counts!!
Cheers-

470EDDY

one of us
Picture of shakari
posted Hide Post
Always a pleasure to help a fellow hunter! Smiler

As was said, any copy of White Hunter is gonna be expensive but the good news is it'll be a better investment than money.

One Of Us
posted Hide Post
Steve;

Right ON...as we all know Great Guns and Books have been much better than the Stock Market for the last 20 years!!

Thanks again...I will post if/when I find White Hunter...where the seller doesn't know what he has....??

Cheers

470EDDY