New
Find
Notify
Tools

Abyssinian Bohor Reedbuck
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
We landed at the Goba airstrip fairly early and had to pass through a non-controlled (open concession w/quota) hunting area where the client held a license for an Abyssinian Bohor Reedbuck. There were several herds between 1/4 to 1/2 mile from the road. A muddy stalk netted this guy.

Rich Elliott

Rich Elliott
Ethiopian Rift Valley Safaris

Posts: 2013 | Location: Crossville, IL 62827 USA | Registered: 07 February 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Rich,
I dont think that I have ever seen what I would call a "herd" of reedbuck of any kind. How many of them typically congregate together over there?
Steve

Posts: 322 | Location: Virginia | Registered: 27 February 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
When they are in open fields it can be up to 50 or so. You see smaller groups around air strips in many parts of the country. I have seen loners up in the heather where we used to hunt Mt. Nyala.

BTW, he's not bloody...just muddy.
Rich Elliott

Rich Elliott
Ethiopian Rift Valley Safaris

Posts: 2013 | Location: Crossville, IL 62827 USA | Registered: 07 February 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Steve Richards:
Rich,
I dont think that I have ever seen what I would call a "herd" of reedbuck of any kind. How many of them typically congregate together over there?
Steve

Steve, in the Moyowosi, you will easily see dozens of reedbuck within spitting distance of each other in the floodplain.

In some of the mountian ranges up North (Monduli, Matale, Lolsimangore) you regularly see 5-8 Chanler's reedbuck close together.

I don't think they are herd animals but when they come out to lie in the flats, they often do so quite close together.

"...Them, they were Giants!"
J.A. Hunter describing the early explorers and settlers of East Africa

hunting is not about the killing but about the chase of the hunt.... Ortega Y Gasset

Posts: 3034 | Location: Tanzania - The Land of Plenty | Registered: 19 September 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Use Enough Gun
posted Hide Post
Great trophy. Thanks for the picture.