Find
Notify
Tools

Recommendations for DSC Directors
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of bwanamrm
posted
With all of the hoopla and handwringing regarding DSC is there anyone out there who would like to make some recommendations on new directors? For those of us not from Dallas, we don't have a clue for the most part...

On the plains of hesitation lie the bleached bones of ten thousand, who on the dawn of victory lay down their weary heads resting, and there resting, died.

If you can talk with crowds and keep your virtue,
Or walk with Kings - nor lose the common touch...
Yours is the Earth and everything that's in it,
And - which is more - you'll be a Man, my son!
- Rudyard Kipling

Life grows grim without senseless indulgence.

Posts: 7522 | Location: Victoria, Texas | Registered: 30 March 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I am with you. I have absolutely no idea who to vote for.

There certainly seems to be some turmoil happening at DSC. This makes this selection more important than ever.

Posts: 11954 | Location: Orlando, FL | Registered: 26 January 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Bwana338
posted Hide Post
I also received my e mail on voting and looking for recommendations

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

"You've got the strongest hand in the world. That's right. Your hand. The hand that marks the ballot. The hand that pulls the voting lever. Use it, will you" John Wayne

Posts: 1571 | Location: West River at Heart | Registered: 08 April 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I served on the board with all but one of these nominees. I would give Kyle Allison the highest recommendation. It would be hard to find a more deserving and qualified young man.
As for other nominations, an email was sent out around Christmas requesting potential nominees, sometimes nominees received this way are considered and nominated or given a VP slot for a year or two. When you see this list, it’s pretty much a done deal.

Karl Evans

Posts: 2743 | Location: Emhouse, Tx | Registered: 03 February 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of MJines
posted Hide Post
Apparently there are a number of things going on behind the scenes at DSC that the members have not been made privy to. For example, I did not realize that the incoming President elect resigned. When and why? Other changes at the board level seem to me to be reflective of some of the same nonsense we have seen with the NRA board. I used my ballot to vote the write in slots indicating that the lack of transparency on the changes and the potential implications of the changes made me feel that abstention was the appropriate voting option.

Mike

Posts: 21198 | Registered: 03 January 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by MJines:
Apparently there are a number of things going on behind the scenes at DSC that the members have not been made privy to. For example, I did not realize that the incoming President elect resigned. When and why? Other changes at the board level seem to me to be reflective of some of the same nonsense we have seen with the NRA board. I used my ballot to vote the write in slots indicating that the lack of transparency on the changes and the potential implications of the changes made me feel that abstention was the appropriate voting option.

Apparently, two directors and a VP resigned as well, also told that the President resigned, too, but he is still listed on their website. And, a foundation director apparently resigned. I guess getting rid of the “old guard” isn’t working out too well. I’m told there are other things going on that may not be beneficial as well.

Karl Evans

Posts: 2743 | Location: Emhouse, Tx | Registered: 03 February 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of MJines
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by K Evans:
quote:

Apparently, two directors and a VP resigned as well, also told that the President resigned, too, but he is still listed on their website. And, a foundation director apparently resigned. I guess getting rid of the “old guard” isn’t working out too well. I’m told there are other things going on that may not be beneficial as well.

. . . something stinks. Asking members to vote without open and transparent disclosure on what is going on, why it is happening, what the implications are for the organization, etc. seems disingenuous. Hence the reason I elected to abstain.

Mike

One of Us
Picture of Steve Ahrenberg
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by K Evans:
quote:

. . . something stinks. Asking members to vote without open and transparent disclosure on what is going on, why it is happening, what the implications are for the organization, etc. seems disingenuous. Hence the reason I elected to abstain.

For some reason, Hunting/Conservation organizations draw egomaniacal, self important individuals.

Sheep Society, Mule Deer foundation, RMEC, AZ Elk and ADA all have issues with egos on their boards.

RMEC split in two, Mule Deer split in two. I've never seen anything like it.

It's so bad, when I was on the BOD of the Phoenix Chapter SCI, a couple of us tried to have the heads of all the various organizations come to a meeting so we didn't have overlapping banquets. They all though we were up to something and declined.

Wound up having several conflicts. There are LOTS of people that want to come to all the events, but are forced to choose one over the other, hurting wildlife in the end.

Formerly "Nganga"

Posts: 3375 | Location: Phoenix, Arizona | Registered: 26 April 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of jdollar
posted Hide Post
Another fine conservation organization circling the drain. 2020

Vote Trump- Putin’s best friend…

Posts: 13139 | Location: Georgia | Registered: 28 October 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Something is definitely going on. It is no coincidence that there are that many resignations. One of those resignations is a LONG time board member . Exactly what it is , I wish I knew .

They have another problem coming . The move to Atlanta was not necessary. The convention center was available. I have not heard a single person speak highly about the move

Finally, I hear of some other issues which are potentially serious if true . I won’t repeat them at this point .

Posts: 11954 | Location: Orlando, FL | Registered: 26 January 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of MJines
posted Hide Post
Candidly sounds as if there is an internal coup d'état underway at the board level. What sort of changes in direction and mission do all these leadership changes signal? Something is amiss and the longer the board and staff leave members hanging without an honest and forthright explanation the more confidence in and support for the organization will be undermined.

Mike

One of Us
posted Hide Post
From my personal experience having served on the board as a Director of a local SCI chapter in NY for 3 terms, I can say that there is always a core group of people who do 90% of the work and the rest are there to sound their horn and pass judgement and pretend to be important. The man who was President when i joined was retired and made this his life's work! He had his own idea of doing things but for the most part the chapter ran well and we used to have great functions as there were many $$$$ hunters in NY in those days. Some other board members didn't like him and finally came up with all sorts of trumped up charges and ousted him. Thereafter none of their favoured President candidates could hold the chapter together and it fragmented and finally shut down! A real shame!

I suspect this goes on with other organizations as well.

Arjun Reddy
Hunters Networks LLC
www.huntersnetworks.com
30 Ivy Hill Road
Brewster, NY 10509
Tel: +1 845 259 3628

Watch GUNSTIX Shooting Sticks in action
Short version https://youtu.be/HYoF1nR9JFo?si=aUeCBW_G5OJAK26f
Long version https://youtu.be/NJ96K8T-ttc

2024 SHOW BOOTHS:
DSC (Dallas 11th-14th January) booth #950
SCI (Nashville 31st Jan-3rd Feb) booth #411
Western Hunting and Conservation Expo (Salt lake city 15th-18th February) booth # 319

Posts: 2536 | Location: New York, USA | Registered: 13 March 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I’ve had calls or visits from 4 past President’s, none are happy with the current situation with DSC. Everyone of these individuals gave their time, treasure and knowledge to make the club what it was.
In an earlier post I mentioned that I was told the Pres also resigned, the Pres did resign and I’m told he will not serve as Immediate Past President, as required in bylaws, which brings up other questions as the IPP is the chair of the nominating committee, which chooses board nominees. I wonder how that worked for the current nominations since the current IPP unfortunately passed away, RIP?
I see where some challenges might be in the offing.
I’ve asked these questions but haven’t received an answer and doubt that I do receive an answer.
They’ve got problems, I’m like an earlier poster and think they are circling the drain, other things are in the works and none are good.
The move to Atlanta, in my opinion, was a crazy move, especially since the Kay Bailey Hutchison convention center people were willing to work with the club to keep the show in Dallas. I think once the exhibitors are aware of this, since they and members were told the move was necessary, they will not be happy, to say the least(especially since booth prices increased in Atlanta).
I wouldn’t be surprised if another group has a hunting show in Dallas next year during the dates DSC had and would probably do really well. Lots of hunters within a 3-5 hour drive of Dallas. I wish DSC would return to being one of the best HUNTING clubs and forget some of the ideas that aren’t working. I don’t think they will, but time will tell!

Karl Evans

One of Us
Picture of MJines
posted Hide Post
Karl, I almost get the sense that there is a faction on the board that wants to do one of two things. They either want to take the club backwards and turn it back into a more regional, good old boy group focused on awards as opposed to advocacy and education. Or they are trying to position the organization to be subsumed by SCI and then locking up some prime roles for themselves in a combined organization. While the move to Atlanta was certainly controversial, the general direction of the organization definitely felt correct until this latest meltdown.

I have always felt that strong executive leadership is a key in organizations like this since you are dealing with some big egos of board members. This situation also makes me wonder about that . . . unless of course the executive leadership is actually supportive of what is happening.

Mike

One of Us
Picture of Wesheltonj
posted Hide Post
So TTHA & SCI are having a Show in Dallas in January on the DSC dates at KBH Convention Center. Someone FU and they need be fired.

"Texas Trophy Hunters Association and Safari Club International Expand with Outdoors Extravaganza

Texas Trophy Hunters Association® (TTHA), proudly announces the expansion of the renowned Hunters Extravaganza series to encompass all things outdoors. With overwhelming success and increasing demand from the hunting and outdoor community, the organization is delighted to introduce the much-anticipated "Outdoors Extravaganza" to be held in Dallas, Texas, from January 10-12, 2025!

TTHA, together with Safari Club International, promises a comprehensive showcase of hunting, fishing, and camping experiences at the Outdoors Extravaganza. This pioneering event will gather guides and outfitters from around the globe, presenting a unique opportunity for enthusiasts to explore a diverse range of outdoor pursuits.

“The introduction of the Outdoors Extravaganza from Texas Trophy Hunters Association is a testament to TTHA’s incredibly successful events for Texan outdoors enthusiasts. TTHA is the leader in Texas for events that bring the best to hunters. Now, with the Outdoors Extravaganza, TTHA can reach even more outdoors and wildlife enthusiasts, and provide access to products, gear and experts in all things outdoors”, said W. Laird Hamberlin, CEO of Safari Club International.

“We are thrilled to embark on this new journey, expanding our footprint in the outdoor community. The Outdoors Extravaganza aims to be a comprehensive platform, bringing together passionate individuals and industry leaders from hunting, fishing, and camping. I can’t think of a better way to celebrate our 50th year in business. This show not only promises an extraordinary experience, but also fills a void in the outdoor community,” says Christina Pittman, President and CEO of Texas Trophy Hunters Association.

Key Event Details:
Date: January 10-12, 2025
Location: Kay Bailey Hutchison Convention Center, Dallas, TX"

Posts: 752 | Location: Texas Hill Country | Registered: 13 April 2016Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Wesheltonj:
So TTHA & SCI are having a Show in Dallas in January on the DSC dates at KBH Convention Center. Someone FU and they need be fired.

I agree but never going to happen. Other things have happed lately that warrant someone being held accountable, nothing punitive appears to have been done.

Karl Evans

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I responded to their e mail about the the election. Advised that I couldn’t vote in good faith without knowing what caused all the resignations.

Probably wasted effort on my part .

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Karl,
Any chance DSC has simply been outmanoeuvred by SCI in booking KBH Convention Centre for 2025 ?
It seems improbable as I would expect DSC to get preference but have they dithered while SCI was willing to commit, and lost out, thus forcing relocation to Atlanta ?

Hunting.... it's not everything, it's the only thing.

Posts: 2013 | Location: New Zealand's North Island | Registered: 13 November 2014Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 30.06king:
Karl,
Any chance DSC has simply been outmanoeuvred by SCI in booking KBH Convention Centre for 2025 ?
It seems improbable as I would expect DSC to get preference but have they dithered while SCI was willing to commit, and lost out, thus forcing relocation to Atlanta ?

Zero chance . The TTHA event was booked well after the move to Atlanta was announced.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by larryshores:
I responded to their e mail about the the election. Advised that I couldn’t vote in good faith without knowing what caused all the resignations.

Probably wasted effort on my part .

This is unfortunate to watch, but perhaps an opportunity to recombine efforts for a stronger organization, overall.

Posts: 1424 | Location: Shelton, CT | Registered: 22 February 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 30.06king:
Karl,

Larry is 100% correct, DSC had dates booked at KBH several years in the future. And, I’m told by City employees who work at KBH that they (KBH) tried to work with DSC to keep the convention in Dallas, didn’t matter.

Karl Evans

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Given the turmoil, I did not vote. I understand that the new directors have been elected. However, the officers have not been elected.

A total of 7 officers/directors resigned. It is hard for me to believe that the resignations were caused by anything positive. I wrote and asked for an explanation. They have not responded.

One of Us
Picture of ledvm
posted Hide Post
I did not vote either. I can’t make heads nor tails of what is going on.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
J. Lane Easter, DVM

A born Texan has instilled in his system a mind-set of no retreat or no surrender. I wish everyone the world over had the dominating spirit that motivates Texans.– Billy Clayton, Speaker of the Texas House

No state commands such fierce pride and loyalty. Lesser mortals are pitied for their misfortune in not being born in Texas.— Queen Elizabeth II on her visit to Texas in May, 1991.

Posts: 36531 | Location: Gainesville, TX | Registered: 24 December 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I understand there is a special directors meeting tonight to elect officers and if so, I expect an email will go out tomorrow. Hope they come up with good choices.

Karl Evans

One of Us
Picture of MJines
posted Hide Post
I am less interested in who is elected as officers than I am in understanding the implications of all the resignations on the future direction of the organization. Is DSC headed in the same organizational direction it has been or does the board turmoil indicate that DSC will be trending in another direction and, if so, what direction is that? Radio silence by the organization seems odd and a bit concerning.

[It would really be nice when groups like DSC are asking members to vote for directors to furnish members with information that helps them understand what the candidates believe relative to topical issues. As I recall, all members got this year was a resume which is not particularly insightful. Let the candidates answer four or five germane questions, e.g., what is their vision for the organization and how do they intend to use their position to advance that vision, what are the top three priorities from their perspective for the organization, etc. The League of Women Voters does something similar for state and local elections and while it is far from perfect, at least it gives you some idea what the person stands for. The elections for groups like DSC, HSC, NRA are not much more than eeny, meeny, miney, moe for most members. Hardly an informed vote.]

Mike

One of Us
Picture of MJines
posted Hide Post
Correct me if I am wrong, but I believe the new President Elect is the same gentleman that recently shot one of the big tuskers that wandered out of Amboseli. If I am correct, that certainly sends a message in terms of the direction of the organization going forward from a conservation perspective. DSC is starting to look and feel a whole lot more like SCI. Not sure that's a good thing.

Mike

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Correct me if I am wrong, but I believe the new President Elect is the same gentleman that recently shot one of the big tuskers that wandered out of Amboseli.

Yep.

Karl Evans

One of Us
Picture of DCS Member
posted Hide Post
I finally joined as a life member after 25-30 years of recurring revenue to DSC. I used to think that was more beneficial to the club.

Now, I almost wish I had that annual option again.

I meant to be DSC Member...bad typing skills.

Marcus Cady

DRSS

Posts: 3433 | Location: Dallas | Registered: 19 March 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
This is so disappointing to hear. I did vote based on the resumes, so I probably didn’t ask myself enough critical questions.

Does anyone know if this has anything to do with the attempted coup back in 2020?

"Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life." Terry Pratchett.

Posts: 3507 | Location: Wyoming | Registered: 25 February 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Michael Robinson
posted Hide Post
Wouldn't you think that the resigning officers and board members owe the membership explanatory letters of resignation?

Inside baseball politics and lack of transparency of this kind are totally inappropriate - and are likely to derail things on a much wider scale.

I have seen it happen before with other organizations again and again.

Mike

Wilderness is my cathedral, and hunting is my prayer.

Posts: 13384 | Location: New England | Registered: 06 June 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Yup. I agree.

One of Us
Picture of ledvm
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Lhook7:
This is so disappointing to hear. I did vote based on the resumes, so I probably didn’t ask myself enough critical questions.

Does anyone know if this has anything to do with the attempted coup back in 2020?

2019 was the last “normal” year at DSC.

Everything happening at DSC goes back to that tumultuous spring of 2020. I tried for a while but I have been unable to make heads nor tails of what is going on at DSC since that occurred.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
J. Lane Easter, DVM

A born Texan has instilled in his system a mind-set of no retreat or no surrender. I wish everyone the world over had the dominating spirit that motivates Texans.– Billy Clayton, Speaker of the Texas House

No state commands such fierce pride and loyalty. Lesser mortals are pitied for their misfortune in not being born in Texas.— Queen Elizabeth II on her visit to Texas in May, 1991.

Posts: 36531 | Location: Gainesville, TX | Registered: 24 December 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have reached out to DSC to volunteer and to start a new chapter. Got nowhere and no responses. Not sure what is going on.
I suspect they are trying to repair a lot of internal damage that we are not seeing.

Posts: 10146 | Location: Texas... time to secede!! | Registered: 12 February 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I scoured the DSC website. Here is the announcement about the "other show".

With the recent announcement of a new outdoors-type event in Dallas in January 2025 that is on the same dates as the DSC Convention in Atlanta, we want to address a few of the more common questions that are being asked regarding this event. As this event is not affiliated in any way to DSC, we cannot speak to any aspect of the event.

Last year, when DSC was notified that the Kay Bailey Hutchison Convention Center (KBHCC) was going to be torn down and rebuilt, we were informed they would work in phases, with the initial phase beginning in Quarter 3 of 2024. In that phase, access to Hall F via the spiral ramp and dock would be eliminated before our 2025 Convention. As the project continued, each subsequent construction phase would impact more and demolish more Halls and Lobbies, resulting in less space available each phase, along with the loss of the marshaling yard, parking, and sky bridge connecting KBHCC to the Omni. With a Convention the size of DSC’s, the immediate loss of Hall F, move-in ramp access, marshalling yard, construction walls, loss of parking, disruption to utilities, etc. made it impossible to hold the DSC Convention at KBHCC. Further, the reduced space available for use during the initial phases of construction is less than half of what the DSC Convention occupies. Thus, much smaller events will be able to use the significantly reduced space for the next couple of years until the space is ultimately all under construction and rebuilt.

In a meeting last week with KBHCC leadership, they reiterated that the construction timeline has not changed, and the new facility is anticipated to be completed in Quarter 4 of 2028 and will be able to host events in early 2029. DSC has letters of agreement with the KBHCC for dates thereafter.

When DSC was informed of the demolition and rebuild of the Convention Center, we narrowed our search options to a strict window. Specifically, to show respect and sensitivity to other hunting organizations, we avoided cities where other organizations hold conventions and only considered dates that would not conflict with the other major hunting conventions in the US. Additionally, when planning our new Summer Expo that will be held in the Dallas area, we purposefully avoided dates of other outdoor shows that occur in late summer in Texas. We feel strongly that all hunting and conservation organizations should work collectively to support, defend, and protect sportsmen and our hunting heritage.

DSC looks forward to hosting an incredible, world-class Convention in Atlanta in January and Summer Expo at the Gaylord Texan Resort in July 2025, where we will again celebrate our important hunting and outdoor traditions, while raising monies for Conservation, Education and Advocacy.

Posts: 10146 | Location: Texas... time to secede!! | Registered: 12 February 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Wesheltonj
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by dogcat:
I have reached out to DSC to volunteer and to start a new chapter. Got nowhere and no responses. Not sure what is going on.
I suspect they are trying to repair a lot of internal damage that we are not seeing.

Not sure where you are at, but Austin did have one at one time and it closed. I think they have the state covered except for maybe the Valley.

Posts: 752 | Location: Texas Hill Country | Registered: 13 April 2016Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I was in Denver at the time, ready to commit to helping fund and start a Rocky Mountain chapter. Nothing happened after talking to the chapter coordinator at length. He has left DSC as he is not listed on the roster of employees.

I get the sense it is a rather closed group - relying on a small group to do the heavy lifting. I talked to one former board member and he said that was a bit of the issue.

I still support DSC and the mission, but the recent happenings have me wondering.

One of Us
Picture of Bwana338
posted Hide Post
The new Officers positions (and who is who) are now posted on DSC site.

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

"You've got the strongest hand in the world. That's right. Your hand. The hand that marks the ballot. The hand that pulls the voting lever. Use it, will you" John Wayne

Posts: 1571 | Location: West River at Heart | Registered: 08 April 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of MJines
posted Hide Post
Pretty clear to me after speaking to a number of folks that there has been some sort of board coup pulled off. Expect that the direction of the organization is going to shift away from advocacy, working on permitting issues, supporting conservation initiatives to a greater focus on awards and recognition. There is a lot of pessimism out there about the long term viability of the organization. Many of the resignations were from folks that apparently felt it was preferable to resign as opposed to be part of and associated with a potential train wreck. And all the while the members are being kept in the dark on what is going on. One would think that given the well publicized issues regarding the NRA’s legal difficulties given its lack of transparency that those left at DSC would be more attuned to ensuring members were kept in the loop.

Mike

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Pretty clear to me after speaking to a number of folks that there has been some sort of board coup pulled off. Expect that the direction of the organization is going to shift away from advocacy, working on permitting issues, supporting conservation initiatives to a greater focus on awards and recognition. There is a lot of pessimism out there about the long term viability of the organization. Many of the resignations were from folks that apparently felt it was preferable to resign as opposed to be part of and associated with a potential train wreck. And all the while the members are being kept in the dark on what is going on. One would think that given the well publicized issues regarding the NRA’s legal difficulties given its lack of transparency that those left at DSC would be more attuned to ensuring members were kept in the loop.

Well put….
They also have this apparent implosion at a time when SCI’s move to Nashville has yielded record results, attendance, and satisfaction.
SCI seems to have also listened to surveys etc and de-emphasized negative aspects that Ross’ above post seems to indicate DSC seeks to shift towards

This is sad as a Life Member of both