THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM AFRICAN HUNTING FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Hunting  Hop To Forums  African Big Game Hunting    Big game hunting, a new sport for Chinese tycoons

Moderators: Saeed
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Big game hunting, a new sport for Chinese tycoons
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
http://www.chinawhisper.com/bi...-for-chinese-tycoons

Link has numerous hunting photos

Big game hunting, a new sport for Chinese tycoons

Posted on March 2, 2012 by China Whisper

A controversial sport of big game hunting is becoming popular among Chinese tycoons, more and more country’s rich join hunting expeditions in Africa and Canada. At least 100 Chinese tycoons have hunted overseas, with the number increasing.

W. Scott Lupien, an American lives in China, founded I Love Hunting Club in Beijing. He led the first hunting group to South Africa in 2009. At that time he said the opportunity to develop the overseas hunting industry was open to China.

In Lupien’s office, he displays various kinds of specimens, including a head of gazelle and zebra mane hunted by himself.

In 2009, he took two hunting groups to South Africa. “From June last year to January this year, I already led 8 groups.” He said. The size of each group varies; the normal group is 3 to 6 persons, and high-end 1 to 2.

On his website, we could found the hunting group offers range from 59,800 to 498,800 Yuan, covering Africa, North America, South America, Oceania and Europe. For example, the 14 days Canadian polar bear hunting is 498,800 Yuan, including a male polar bear, which means his customer has the right to shoot a male polar bear in the hunting ground.

Lupien says there are two kinds of clients, with one type being hunting enthusiast and the other being tycoons who have never hunted. Most his clients are bosses, executives and government officials. Wang Wei, a hunting broker since 2004 from Beijing Zheng An Travel Agency says most of these people are businessmen, usually at their 40s and 50s, idle and rich, love off-road vehicles, outdoor sports, and do not have psychological barrier to shoot.

“We mainly stress two points, one is to protect animals, and the other is safety.” Lupien defines hunting as “hunters and the government jointly protecting animals.” This is the prevailing view of hunters, but slashed by environmental organizations.

At present over 100 countries allow hunting. In U.S.up to tens of millions of people participate in the hunting games, killing over 300,000 animals annually, each year consumption amount is over 20 billion U.S. dollars.

Although hunting business has brought revenue to Kenya and Tanzania, this is increasingly being questioned. InTanzania, lions available for hunting are becoming less.

However, Feng Yongfeng, a researcher from an NGO says, “Chinese people don’t have ability to hunt, and they cannot learn how to protect nature through hunting neither. Although a group of people have gone abroad and learn about nature, most of them still seek novelty and covet blood after return. It is impossible to gain benefits for the environment.”

Kathi

kathi@wildtravel.net
708-425-3552

"The world is a book, and those who do not travel read only one page."

Posts: 9486 | Location: Chicago | Registered: 23 July 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Scriptus
posted Hide Post
The new and dangerous colonialists. Mad

Posts: 3297 | Location: South of the Equator. | Registered: 02 August 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of safari-lawyer
posted Hide Post
Wang Wei, quoted in the article, helped open China to Western hunters. My grandfather still recalls his month in China with Wang Wei as the worst hunt of his life, but I digress.

Will J. Parks, III

Posts: 2989 | Location: Alabama USA | Registered: 09 July 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Bwana1
posted Hide Post
Can they legally import ivory and rhino horn?

Posts: 795 | Location: Vero Beach, Florida | Registered: 03 July 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
So now instead of kneeling down and getting shot in the back of the neck, the fucking chi-comms are letting them run around before shooting them. Nice chi-comm fun!

The things you see when you don't have a gun.
NRA Endowment Life Member
Proud father of an active duty
Submariner... Go NAVY!

Posts: 436 | Location: Lynchburg, Home of Texas Independence | Registered: 28 July 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
The wealth of the Chinese is a good as anyone else's money.
Going by the photos, it looks like the clients had a good time.

Posts: 9434 | Location: Here & There- | Registered: 14 May 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by kingd:
So now instead of kneeling down and getting shot in the back of the neck, the fucking chi-comms are letting them run around before shooting them. Nice chi-comm fun!

It's bound to happen. Cash burning holes in their pockets. Is your cash greener than theirs? I doubt it.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Scriptus:
The new and dangerous colonialists. Mad

As opposed to what? Old and docile colonials? Hardly. Like the saying goes... He who has the most money...

One of Us
Picture of Deon
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Kathi:
http://www.chinawhisper.com/bi...-for-chinese-tycoons

Although hunting business has brought revenue to Kenya and Tanzania, this is increasingly being questioned. InTanzania, lions available for hunting are becoming less.

Who forgot to tell me that Kenya is open for hunting??

"A peculiar virtue in wildlife ethics is that the hunter ordinarily has no gallery to applaud or disapprove of his conduct. Whatever his acts, they are dictated by his own conscience, rather than by a mob of onlookers. It is difficult to exaggerate the importance of this fact."

Posts: 131 | Location: Umshwati, South Africa | Registered: 20 April 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of BrettAKSCI
posted Hide Post
Perhaps this will lead to sheep hunting being open in China once again????? I can only hope......

Brett

DRSS
Life Member SCI
Life Member NRA
Life Member WSF

Rhyme of the Sheep Hunter
May fordings never be too deep, And alders not too thick; May rock slides never be too steep And ridges not too slick.
And may your bullets shoot as swell As Fred Bear's arrow's flew; And may your nose work just as well As Jack O'Connor's too.
May winds be never at your tail When stalking down the steep; May bears be never on your trail When packing out your sheep.
May the hundred pounds upon you Not make you break or trip; And may the plane in which you flew Await you at the strip.
-Seth Peterson

Posts: 4551 | Location: Alaska | Registered: 21 February 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of buckeyeshooter
posted Hide Post
Perhaps learning to hunt will help educate the Chineese folks and maybe they will take an interest in helping stop the poaching of Rino and Elephant?
I welcome anyone who wants to enjoy hunting, no matter what country.

Posts: 5713 | Location: Ohio | Registered: 02 April 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by buckeyeshooter:
Perhaps learning to hunt will help educate the Chineese folks and maybe they will take an interest in helping stop the poaching of Rino and Elephant?
I welcome anyone who wants to enjoy hunting, no matter what country.

tu2

Good Hunting,

Posts: 3143 | Location: Duluth, GA | Registered: 30 September 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I'm with "buckeyeshooter"; The better PHs will teach these newbies a lot, including etics and "behind-the scene" information...Also, Chinese buyers have helped raise prices, significantly, in North American wild fur sales...Best of luck to our trapping brothers & sisters!

one of us
posted Hide Post
Yeah, but if this trend continues, it will raise the price of hunts.

Indy

Life is short. Hunt hard.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Then I would be very happy for our PH and outfitter friends. This means more money for conservation right? Of course any boom means there will more unscrupulous types doing it solely for the money but overall I think it will be good for the industry.

One of Us
Picture of Code4
posted Hide Post
During the GFC a few outfitters started to adverise in euro not $US. Maybe the more entreprenurial will start to advertise in Yen and start training Cantonese and Mandarin speaking PH's.

Posts: 1433 | Location: Australia | Registered: 21 March 2008Reply With Quote