THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM AFRICAN HUNTING FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Hunting  Hop To Forums  African Big Game Hunting    Africa - Out Of Sight, But Not Out of Mind

Moderators: Saeed
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Africa - Out Of Sight, But Not Out of Mind
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of Cajun1956
posted
Eish! Eight weeks of stay at home due to the Kung Fu virus (high risk due to age and a couple of medical issues).

So, what does a big game hunter do in an effort to maintain his/her enthusiasm, hopes, and dreams related to Africa during these unusual times (besides hanging out on the Accurate Reloading Forum - Thanks Saeed for providing us with this forum!)?

For me, the following activities have kept me focused and dreaming of Africa:

- booked a 2021 Zimbabwe hunt (support your PH and Outfitter)

- continued to communicate with Southern Africa friends via email and Facebook

- rearranged trophy room

- stocked up on dangerous and plains game ammo (support hunting related businesses)

- upgraded and/or replaced safari clothes (support hunting related businesses)

- purchased a couple of scopes for upcoming 2021 hunt (support hunting related businesses)

- identified a location on wall for Andrew's lion print ( tu2 )

- read many African hunting books and other books related to Rhodesia and Zimbabwe history

- continued to monitor virus and political related issues via various African news feeds

- conducted annual hunting rifle maintenance

- identified and financially assisted a couple of disadvantaged rural families residing in a pro-hunting CAMPFIRE area

Africa, out of sight, but not out of mind. coffee

DSC Life Member
HSC Life Member
NRA Life Member
SCI
RMEF

Posts: 2021 | Location: Republic of Texico | Registered: 20 June 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Good on you!

Posts: 20159 | Location: Very NW NJ up in the Mountains | Registered: 14 June 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Use Enough Gun
posted Hide Post
Sounds like you're keeping your 'African' mind and heart busy! tu2

One of Us
Picture of fairgame
posted Hide Post
We, on the other hand, can simply maintain the anti-poaching and infrastructure.

Previous seasons we would be in the midst of the hustle and bustle of safari preparations, vehicle maintenance, and camp rebuilding.

I look forward to putting this year behind me and making plans for the future.

You need to make a big space for that print mate but the printer is still on lockdown! It is like everything has come to a complete standstill.

ROYAL KAFUE LTD
Email - kafueroyal@gmail.com
Tel/Whatsapp (00260) 975315144
Instagram - kafueroyal

Posts: 9948 | Location: Zambia | Registered: 10 April 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Clayman
posted Hide Post
This type of question races through a lot of our minds, no?! Seeing as how I was supposed to be in Namibia at this very moment on a PG hunt, I've had to answer the same question myself.

The hunt has already been rebooked for next year, and I continue to stay in communication with the outfitter.

My list of constructive distractions are as follows:

1. Drool over every piece of Africa hunting related literature I can find. Magazines, books, forums, old pamphlets. I'm also getting very familiar with the good and bad shows on the hunting channels.
2. Every gun in the safe is squeaky clean and operationally sound.
3. I don't think there's a single unprocessed or unloaded piece of brass anywhere in the house! You can do a looot of reloading when working from home for months on end!
4. Dry fire practice in the basement at African animal targets. My basement is long enough where I can get an honest 18 yard shot from one end to the other. Makes for imaginative DG hunts. "The bull is obscured by the staircase. Make sure he clears the water heater before you take him!"
5. Every knife - hunting, kitchen, EDC, or otherwise - is light saber sharp.
6. Figuring out ways to spend money on hunting and shooting related vendors like you're doing. This has proven to be surprisingly easy. Big Grin
7. One thing that hasn't started during this, but continues, is my fitness routine. Stay in shape and sharp, especially now that the weather is nice.

It'll be here soon! beer

Posts: 1225 | Location: Gilbertsville, PA | Registered: 08 December 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of MacD37
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Clayman:
This type of question races through a lot of our minds, no?! Seeing as how I was supposed to be in Namibia at this very moment on a PG hunt, I've had to answer the same question myself.

The hunt has already been rebooked for next year, and I continue to stay in communication with the outfitter.

1. Drool over every piece of Africa hunting related literature I can find. Magazines, books, forums, old pamphlets. I'm also getting very familiar with the good and bad shows on the hunting channels.
3. I don't think there's a single unprocessed or unloaded piece of brass anywhere in the house! You can do a looot of reloading when working from home for months on end!
4. Dry fire practice in the basement at African animal targets. My basement is long enough where I can get an honest 18 yard shot from one end to the other. Makes for imaginative DG hunts. "The bull is obscured by the staircase. Make sure he clears the water heater before you take him!"
6. Figuring out ways to spend money on hunting and shooting related vendors like you're doing. This has proven to be surprisingly easy. Big Grin
7. One thing that hasn't started during this, but continues, is my fitness routine. Stay in shape and sharp, especially now that the weather is nice.

It'll be here soon! beer

ME TOO! jumping oldMacD37 At 83 yrs old not much I can do in any public groups!

....Mac >>>===(x)===> MacD37, ...and DUGABOY1
DRSS Charter member
"If I die today, I've had a life well spent, for I've been to see the Elephant, and smelled the smoke of Africa!"~ME 1982

Hands of Old Elmer Keith

Posts: 14634 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: 08 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of fairgame
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Clayman:

It'll be here soon! beer

Good attitude

ROYAL KAFUE LTD
Email - kafueroyal@gmail.com
Tel/Whatsapp (00260) 975315144
Instagram - kafueroyal

Posts: 9948 | Location: Zambia | Registered: 10 April 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Bwana338
posted Hide Post
Things that I have been doing.

Keeping in contact with friends in Namibia, South Africa and Zimbabwe. Chatting on WhatsApp and trading e mails.

With the face mask wearing that is currently on going, my wife started with a giraffe design for me then I moved up to leopard print one and now I am having an elephant one currently being made for me to add to the collections. I am not sure if this is going away any time soon. She has made over 300 face masks for family, friends and orders from individuals who learned that she was making them. And she found African design material in her storage that she had set aside for napkins.

I have a CZ Rifle in 458 WM and a Scope on order, for future consideration in hunting, whether Africa or going after a bears in Alaska.

I upgraded my hunting shirts after my 2019 hunt so I have those in the closet.

I picked up new gifts to take along on my next African adventure. I have quite a collection of items to select from depending on how many workers will be in camp that will receive something.

Our trip for 2020 was moved to 2021 and I will be looking for options at the DSC convention in January (that is if they have it).

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

"You've got the strongest hand in the world. That's right. Your hand. The hand that marks the ballot. The hand that pulls the voting lever. Use it, will you" John Wayne

Posts: 1626 | Location: West River at Heart | Registered: 08 April 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Cajun1956
posted Hide Post
quote:
Keeping in contact with friends in Namibia, South Africa and Zimbabwe. Chatting on WhatsApp and trading e mails.

Throughout these unusual and difficult times, I have been communicating with my friends in Zimbabwe and Zambia, both white and black friends.

I am truly amazed by their continuing optimism and perseverance during these times.

Despite having to endure virus related lock-down orders, ZESA blackouts, lack of potable water, corrupt government officials, deteriorating economy, food and petro shortages, worthless currency, etc., they continue to maintain their positive attitudes and adjust their plan accordingly.

I applaud and salute all of my African friends involved in wildlife conservation and the hunting industry.

Cheers and looking forward to sharing a campfire with y'all in 2021.

Please carry on shamwari. coffee

DSC Life Member
HSC Life Member
NRA Life Member
SCI
RMEF

Posts: 2021 | Location: Republic of Texico | Registered: 20 June 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Bud Meadows
posted Hide Post
I WhatsApp with my Namibian PH named Jan to keep in touch. He’s got several Leopards on his property that he sees regularly on his trail cameras, and he has a Cheetah that is hanging around his low fenced goats that are less than a half mile from his ranch house. I’m also FaceBook Friends with another PH named Juergen who is quite a character and keeps me entertained with his postings. Juergen has a beautiful ranch that is crawling with trophy Eland and Waterbuck, as well as lots of Warthogs and Baboons.

Jesus saves, but Moses invests

Posts: 1388 | Location: Lake Bluff, IL | Registered: 02 May 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Yesterday we carefully set the bait and cleared the shooting lane. An elevated blind was built taking care to position it downwind. The rifle was checked and checked again at the exact distance to the bait.

Early this morning I put on my camo and quietly moved into position. Nothing. The sun came up and was warming the land. Suddenly, I caught a movement in the long grass. Soon one of the beasts moved across the shooting lane but melted into the bush on the other side. My heart was thumping. About twenty minutes later a dark shadow appeared under the tree. I peered through my scope and could make out his whiskers twitching as he tested the wind. Slowly, put the crosshairs behind his shoulder and eased off the safety. I struggled to control my shaking as I took up the slack on the trigger. The shot broke and I heard the meaty whock of a hit. My Jack Russell, trained in these matters, took off and soon found the beast dead. The 23 grain pellet had taken the field mouse square in the shoulder, putting it's marauding to an end.

Russ Gould - Whitworth Arms LLC
BigfiveHQ.com, Large Calibers and African Safaris
Doublegunhq.com, Fine English, American and German Double Rifles and Shotguns
VH2Q.com, Varmint Rifles and Gear

Posts: 2932 | Location: Texas | Registered: 07 June 2003Reply With Quote