New
Find
Notify
Tools

Bowhunt Namibia??
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
I had a friend ask about options for bowhunting in Namibia. Since I'm a rifle man at heart, I could not provide any insight. Have any of you bowhunted Namibia, and could you recommend any outfitters?? Website links would be much appreciated, naturally...

I take it bowhunting in Africa would primarily be a waterhole activity??

Thanks for any input in advance.

- mike

The rifle is a noble weapon... It entices its bearer into primeval forests, into mountains and deserts untenanted by man. - Horace Kephart

Posts: 6653 | Location: Switzerland | Registered: 11 March 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Aspen Hill Adventures
posted Hide Post
I have an outfit there with blinds set up for bowhunting. I have stalked warthog and been successful but with the dry crunchy leaves and grass the best time to do a stalk type archery hunt would be in the green season.

~Ann

Posts: 19551 | Location: The LOST Nation | Registered: 27 March 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Mike,

I just got back from a hunt with Christies Adventures (www.christiesadventures.com). I hunted with a rifle, but Christie is a huge bowhunting fanatic and he has lots of land that is set aside EXCLUSIVELY for bowhunting only. There are lots of nice blinds all over his property, but his true love is spotting and stalking (and he is darn good at it!). I have rebooked for 2010, and I will be bringing my bow with me next time. If you check out the Namibia Professional Hunters website you will see that Christie has a lot of archery clients listed with animals in the Top Ten. He is definitley worht checking out. My $.02

Posts: 332 | Location: Rio Rancho, NM | Registered: 16 March 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Thanks a lot Guys, great start! Keep'em coming...
- mike

The rifle is a noble weapon... It entices its bearer into primeval forests, into mountains and deserts untenanted by man. - Horace Kephart

One of Us
posted Hide Post
www.makalaan.com He has bow hunting only areas with ground {pit] blinds and elevated blinds over water holes and salt/mineral locations. I have rebooked for 2008. August 2006 I shot 2 bemsbock, 3 wart hogs, red hartebeast 2 blue wildebeast, a blesbock and kudu with my bow. My friend did a good deal of spot and stalk and got 2 large eland. He also got a zebra, giraffe, wart hog and some other plains game but he had his son with him shooting as well so I get the rest mixed up with who shot what! The owner is Antonie Louw and he is a really great Ph..

you can make more money, you can not make more time

Posts: 786 | Location: Mexia Texas | Registered: 07 July 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Wendell Reich
posted Hide Post
You might consider Botswana as well. Roughly the same animals, and competitive in cost. You can do a 2x1 package thast includes Eland, Kudu, Wildebeest and Gemsbuck for $4900/person.

Posts: 6265 | Location: Dallas, TX | Registered: 13 July 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I leave in 10 days to hunt with Alan Cilliers east of Grootfontein. I believe his son Wayne now runs his bowhunting operation. Hunted there in '04. He has pit blinds, elevated stands and tree stands and spot and stalk and tracking is available. Bushman trackers are simply amazing. Game includes eland, kudu, gemsbok, springbok, hartebeast, zebra, wildebeast, warthog, etc. Check with Neil Summers at Bowhunting Safari Consultants.

Posts: 10319 | Location: Houston, Texas | Registered: 26 December 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I know of one PH in Namibia that does bow hunts -Waldo van Wyk. Karl S. knows his address as he´s now with another operation.

http://www.tgsafari.co.za

"What doesn´t kill you makes you stranger!"

Posts: 2213 | Location: Finland | Registered: 02 May 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Go to Bowsite.com lots of advice in the Africa forum. Maakalan is good in Namibia as is Roger Coomber. Maakalan/Lowe has great blinds though the lodge is clean an comfortable do not expect a 5 star lodge...more of a "working man's outfit"

Posts: 223 | Location: close but no cigar | Registered: 03 November 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Tons of good information, thanks a lot Guys!
- mike