New
Find
Notify
Tools

Booking Agent Requirements
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
I was hoping some of you professionals could let me know what it takes to get started in the business. Not so much how to get hunts but any licensing or requirements. Thanks for any information you can give.

Posts: 192 | Location: Redding, CA | Registered: 12 February 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of 577NitroExpress
posted Hide Post
Not for all, but for some...a pulse, computer and phone.

577NitroExpress
Double Rifle Shooters Society
Francotte .470 Nitro Express

If stupidity hurt, a lot of people would be walking around screaming...

Posts: 2789 | Location: Bucks County, Pennsylvania | Registered: 08 June 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Steve
posted Hide Post
Is a pulse necessary? I know a soul isn't...

--------

www.zonedar.com

If you can't be a good example, be a horrible warning
DRSS C&H 475 NE
--------

Posts: 2781 | Location: Hillsboro, Or-Y-Gun (Oregon), U.S.A. | Registered: 22 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Well I am glad all the experts popped out on this one with such great advise although its BS in its purest form..

Every year some of my hunters decide to be booking agents and hang a shingle, by the end of the year they may have booked a hunt but pribably not, even the ones I have done my best to help have failed..It is really a tough business to break into.

So if you are serious, then I suggest that you start by investing half a million dollars into advertisement for starters, But first you have to locate Safari companies and if your new to the business they will just write you off as another hunter trying to get a free hunt, as most are..

Then figure on starving near to death until you build a reputation and build up your own clientele, once you do that then you add to that clientele from year to year and it starts getting better...

It took me 20 years to break into the business and a lot of pain and starvation, so when I hear this BS I just scratch it off to more internet ignorance by those who have no clue.

I am sure some of the above advise came from mechinics or piano teachers, had to! Smiler Smiler

Ray Atkinson
Atkinson Hunting Adventures
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

rayatkinsonhunting@gmail.com

Posts: 42158 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Ray, cool down all they said and I am sure you will agree there are some useless booking agents who as you stated are only looking for a free hunt while "investigating possible outfiters". I think the three of you are in compelete agreement. I would guess all it takes is saying "I am a booking agent". Smiler

Posts: 5338 | Location: Bedford, Pa. USA | Registered: 23 February 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
BiggestGun,

I'm afraid 577NE is correct. In some states you don't even need a business license. As for actually getting the thing rolling it is tough as Ray said. My association with Adam Clements Safari trackers has given me a huge leg up and helped me avoid a lot of the pitfalls of this business.

Steve,

That was unkind although I think in some cases you are correct.

Mark

MARK H. YOUNG
MARK'S EXCLUSIVE ADVENTURES
7094 Oakleigh Dr. Las Vegas, NV 89110
Office 702-848-1693
Cell, Whats App, Signal 307-250-1156 PREFERRED
E-mail markttc@msn.com
Check us out on https://www.facebook.com/pages...ures/627027353990716

Posts: 13008 | Location: LAS VEGAS, NV USA | Registered: 04 August 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
In Florida you do need a business license and you must be licensed and bonded as a Travel Agent as well.

More trouble than it's worth [IMHO]certainly if, like Ray, it takes 20 years to make any income.

Les

Posts: 1261 | Location: Clearwater, FL and Union Pier, MI | Registered: 24 July 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Steve
posted Hide Post
Gentlemen,

I'm sorry for offending anybody. It was meant as tongue-in-cheek.

Truthfully I've not had a bad experience with booking agents, including Ray.

However, please lighten up. A little self-depricating humor in this thread might go a long way.

-Steve

--------

www.zonedar.com

If you can't be a good example, be a horrible warning
DRSS C&H 475 NE
--------

Posts: 2781 | Location: Hillsboro, Or-Y-Gun (Oregon), U.S.A. | Registered: 22 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of JBoutfishn
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by BiggestGun:
I was hoping some of you professionals could let me know what it takes to get started in the business. Not so much how to get hunts but any licensing or requirements. Thanks for any information you can give.

You have a PM

Jim "Bwana Umfundi"
NRA

Posts: 3014 | Location: State Of Jefferson | Registered: 27 March 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Use Enough Gun
posted Hide Post
My understanding has been that if you do try it, don't quit your full-time day job to do so. Smiler

one of us
posted Hide Post
We will be offering a 30 day big five safari in newly reopened Kenya. It will include one each Lion, Leopard, Black Rhino, Elephant (100 lbs guaranteed), four buffalo (one over 50â€) and unlimited plains game and terrorists who may be disguised as parks personnel. The price is $200,000 all-inclusive. Hunts will be in 2010 and we have 50 openings. The total must be paid in full this month. For those interested I can supply a PO Box where you can send the money. Cash is preferred.

Posts: 192 | Location: Redding, CA | Registered: 12 February 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Lightning
posted Hide Post
quote:
We will be offering a 30 day big five safari in newly reopened Kenya. It will include one each Lion, Leopard, Black Rhino, Elephant (100 lbs guaranteed), four buffalo (one over 50â€) and unlimited plains game and terrorists who may be disguised as parks personnel. The price is $200,000 all-inclusive. Hunts will be in 2010 and we have 50 openings. The total must be paid in full this month. For those interested I can supply a PO Box where you can send the money. Cash is preferred.

Kinda funny.... I will give you an A for effort. Wink

Posts: 246 | Location: Argyle, TX | Registered: 16 August 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
PERFECT!!! I can help you sell at least 20 of those.

MARK H. YOUNG
MARK'S EXCLUSIVE ADVENTURES
7094 Oakleigh Dr. Las Vegas, NV 89110
Office 702-848-1693
Cell, Whats App, Signal 307-250-1156 PREFERRED
E-mail markttc@msn.com
Check us out on https://www.facebook.com/pages...ures/627027353990716

Posts: 13008 | Location: LAS VEGAS, NV USA | Registered: 04 August 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have Hunted for the past 13 yrs with a friend of mine who is a booking agent. We hunt somewhere in the world Together every year. I have worked several shows from Harrisburg to his smallest show , He is not getting Rich . He has been in bussness for about 20 yrs. The word that most people who are inexperinced use is Garantee , what do you Garantee. They think just because you pay money , you harvest an animal Garanteed.

Posts: 1461 | Location: maryland / Clayton Delaware | Registered: 16 December 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Not so much how to get hunts but any licensing or requirements. Thanks for any information you can give.

The simple answer to the question is that there are no licensing requirements to become a booking agent.

PERIOD.

However as Ray so eloquently explained it is a tough business to be succesful in. There are shit load of one hunt bwannas who call themselves booking agents.

There are also a handful of very good very reliable booking agents out there.

Unless I have personal firsthand knowledge of the agent I won't use them.

One of Us
Picture of NitroX
posted Hide Post
What's the deal with booking agents that only deal with one African outfitter?

Can independent advice be obtained in these circumstances or should one not expect any independence?

Just interested ...

John H.

NitroExpress.com - the net's double rifle forum

Posts: 10138 | Location: Wine Country, Barossa Valley, Australia | Registered: 06 March 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
The first question was partially answered. Now lets hear the comments to the rest of the story, ..."What's it take to be a SUCCESSFUL booking agent?", as anyone can call themselves a booking agent.

~Arctic~

A stranger is a friend we haven't met

Posts: 277 | Location: Yellowknife, NWT, Canada | Registered: 13 October 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of 577NitroExpress
posted Hide Post
quote:
Well I am glad all the experts popped out on this one with such great advise although its BS in its purest form..

So Ray, every single booking agent is a straight, honest individual, right?

577NitroExpress
Double Rifle Shooters Society
Francotte .470 Nitro Express

If stupidity hurt, a lot of people would be walking around screaming...

Posts: 2789 | Location: Bucks County, Pennsylvania | Registered: 08 June 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I was simply curious as to any special licensing such as bonds or “special booking agent license†that might be needed. I can see the qualifications are much like gunsmithing, something I am familiar with, all it takes is a sign. As a businessman I also know you don’t just jump into something like this and become successful. A successful business takes years of overwork to build up. Because any business, is based customer trust and honesty, I think there is plenty of room for more booking agents. Not that I plan to take it, I’m already too busy. Just dreaming.
Thank you all for the comments. I think my question has been answered.

Marshall Jones

One of Us
Picture of robncolorado
posted Hide Post
In my opionion, deciding to start a firm that books hunting trips is much like starting any other business. One needs to put a business plan together just as in any other business venture. And just like any other business, you need to have capitol. The amount depends on how much you wish to gamble, what level you wish to play at, etc. One thing also I believe is you have to be professional, just like in any other business.And just like any other business, you will have competitors. As far as developing relationships with outfitters you wish to represent, if you show up looking for a free hunt, guess what, your probably going to not last in that business for the reasons mentioned by another poster. If you show up to investigate their operation, spend off season time with them, share with them your marketing strategy and how you wish to promote and "sell" hunts for them then you might succeed.

Quite frankly, I don't think I would ever venture into the industry. Margins are too low, internet has made it so that just about anyone can get into it for very little money, and time for ROI is too long. That is simply my off the cuff assessment....

For those who still wish to do it, I would ask the same questions I would about any business. What is the ROI? What amount of capitol am I going to need to be successful? Do I have the skills to run a business regardless of industry? Why am I getting into "this" business?

Remember, it is a business.

Posts: 564 | Location: Durango, CO | Registered: 18 July 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of jbderunz
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 577NitroExpress:
quote:

So Ray, every single booking agent is a straight, honest individual, right?

I have read here before that a contract is not even needed. A handshake and a cowboys word is more than enough should anything go wrong. Wink

J B de Runz
Be careful when blindly following the masses ... generally the "m" is silent

Posts: 1727 | Location: France, Alsace, Saverne | Registered: 24 August 2004Reply With Quote