Find
Notify
Tools

Playing the Game
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of Will
posted
After all the many discussions of whether the .375 H&H is enough gun, it boils down to how you want to play the game.

When one puts this into my perspective on all this, hunting dangerous game is just that, a game. No one is really making a living off of shooting anything anymore, be it for ivory or meat or anything else.

It just depends on how you want to play the game. Potting a buffalo at 250 yards does not make you a buffalo hunter. Shooting a buffalo at 5 or 10 yards and are willing to accept the consequences, it makes playing the game fair, or more fair, in my opinion, and just maybe puts you on the candidate list as being a buffalo hunter. I've taken buff at 5 yards and eighty yards, but still do not consider myself a buffalo hunter.

Because one can or does pot an elephant at 80 yards with a scoped rifle doesn't make one can elephant hunter and never will, no matter how many notches are on the butt of the stock.

If the decision is made to put it all at risk, at least in theory without PH interference, and get up close and personal, then the .375 H&H is not enough gun.

Posts: 19307 | Location: Ocala Flats | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
Picture of T.Carr
posted Hide Post
Bill,

Quote:

If the decision is made to put it all at risk, at least in theory without PH interference, and get up close and personal, then the .375 H&H is not enough gun.

Sometimes "the decison to put it all at risk" is made by fate and circumstance, in which case one better be proficient, cool-headed and well armed. Realistically, few of us have a chance to get a lot practice with numerous big bore calibers before we make a decison to buy one. This may lead to "too much gun" for one guy and "not enough gun" for the next guy (in regard to recoil tolerance).

When the sh*t-hits-the fan, I'd rather be standing next to the guy with a worn out (from use) .375 H&H than next to the guy with a not-a-scratch-on-it .458 Lott.

Of course, the perfect world would have me standing next to you, Bill, as those two cow elephants caught our scent and decided to "sort things out".

Regards,

Terry

Posts: 5338 | Location: A Texan in the Missouri Ozarks | Registered: 02 February 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Will
posted Hide Post
I'm not sure standing next to me would be a good thing. Probably far from it.

Posts: 19307 | Location: Ocala Flats | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote