Find
Notify
Tools

Do you need more than one leopard?
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of Will
posted
Just to stir thimgs up, I have never had any desire to shoot more than my one leopard. Now I do have a 5thing for eles so I am sort of the pot calling the kettle black.

I've had PH's begging me to shoot leopards over the years, but had and have absolutely no desire to do so. There must be differing opinions on this!

Posts: 19317 | Location: Ocala Flats | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I will let you know after I get my first! I don't think I would mind having a couple differently posed life size mounts in the house.

Posts: 696 | Location: Texas, Wash, DC | Registered: 24 April 2003Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
I'll shoot one each and every time I can get the opportunity. There are more than enough of them in any country open to hunting, and they make an absolutely beautiful mount. Now, for an elephant I would want only one and by setting my standards high I imagine I'll only be lucky enough to ever get that ONE! [Wink]

Posts: 1148 | Location: The Hunting Fields | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Aspen Hill Adventures
posted Hide Post
Hmm, how many would I need for a coat? [Big Grin]

Posts: 19169 | Location: The LOST Nation | Registered: 27 March 2001Reply With Quote
Picture of T.Carr
posted Hide Post
Will,

I have no real interest in leopard or lion. Sitting over bait for a cat to feed is, for me, a dull proposition.

I would like to try the tracking hunts with the bushmen in the Kalahari for leopard.

As for your "jones" about elephant, I will be better able to judge that in about a month.

Regards,

Terry

Posts: 5338 | Location: A Texan in the Missouri Ozarks | Registered: 02 February 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
My one leopard is quite enough for me. I actually feel much the same about African game in general. It would take a huge specimen of say kudu or sable to tempt me into shooting another. On the other hand, they could never make enough cape buffalo!

Posts: 322 | Location: Virginia | Registered: 27 February 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of MacD37
posted Hide Post
I don't have ONE Leopard, or one Elephant, so now I can say it is not likely I'll ever get one, much less more than one of either! NOW! Once I get one leopard I'll let you know if I want another, and Elephant, and Lion are out of sight unless I win the lotto. I made the bad mistake of hunting Buffalo every time I went to Africa, with a few incidental plains game along the way. I should have hunted the cats years ago when they were cheap to hunt, and to think I turned down shots at Leopard, so I could take another buffalo!Go figure! [Confused]

Posts: 14634 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: 08 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
(Quote)
"I have no real interest in leopard or lion. Sitting over bait for a cat to feed is, for me, a dull proposition."

Obviously you have never set on a bait. It is exciting, grueling, and very relaxing. Just the shear amount of game you see and hear while sitting on a bait is exhilerating and hard to explain. I set 7 nights on baits, we had 9 baits and 7 were being hit. We set until 3 a.m. one night and the night sounds were incredible. I got a 7' footer now I want a lion. I am saving for it now. [Big Grin]

Posts: 10478 | Location: N.W. Wyoming | Registered: 22 February 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Bill C
posted Hide Post
Will,

Yes. Absolutely.

I was not sure how/if I would like "traditional" leopard hunting, preferring a more physical, proactive type of hunt. But I was amazed at how much work and thought goes into it, especially when one is actually involved in the process and not just the shooter. It is a test of ones patience and perseverance, and extremely rewarding when it all comes together.

Regards,

Bill

Posts: 3153 | Location: PA | Registered: 02 August 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
yesyesyeysyesyesyesyesyes [Smile] yesyesyeyesyesyesyes

youcanhaveyourovergrowncowhuntingusingcigarsized cartridgesconvincingyourslefyouarethelatestincarnationofwhomeeverjustletmehuntmrspots

Posts: 4360 | Location: Sunny Southern California | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I have not hunted one yet so dont know.

But, when did need have anything to to do with it?

Posts: 4106 | Location: USA | Registered: 06 March 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of BigB
posted Hide Post
Will,

I need to get my first leopard but see no reason I would not go for a second or third. As many elephant as the budget allows is my current way of thinking. Too bad my budget is not elephant sized.

BigB

Posts: 1401 | Location: Northwest Wyoming | Registered: 13 March 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Will
posted Hide Post
DB Bill,

I think I am trying to pretend I'm somewhere between Taylor and Sutherland, but doing a poor job of any imitation. At least I'm trying within my meager budget.

one of us
posted Hide Post
My problem with the cats is I detest sitting in a blind while the Leopards, Lions, wait on the Tetsi and Mosques to devour me, I have yet to figure who the bait is!!!!

I'm with you elephants and Buffalo are what I prefer to hunt...

Tracking cat hunts on foot are a whole nuther ballgame, I like it...but get few invites these days what with the limited number of cats available....

Posts: 41865 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Will......buffalo hunting IS fun and one will be on my list for my next trip (I know they aren't overgrown cows but I can't help myself with soooo many serious buffalo hunters on the forum [Wink] ) but to me leopard IS the one animal I really love to hunt.....but no more all-niters in blinds. The next one (my 2nd) will hopefully be taken following the dogs.

Posts: 4360 | Location: Sunny Southern California | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
Administrator
posted Hide Post
Will,

I have only shot two, but that is not for lack of trying [Big Grin]

As mentioned by some of my friends above, sitting in a blind and trying to be absolutely still and quiet is not my idea of a hunt, but, it is part of the whole experience of hunting.

One does hear and see things one would never be able to see otherwise while sitting in a blind.

Funny enough, I get asked this question by those who are totally against hunting. Not necessarily about leoprads, but about any other game as a whole.

"Why would you want to shoot more that one elephant, buffalo, kudu etc.?"

I normally stop their arguments by asking them how many fish, chicken, pigs, beef etc thay have eaten in thier lives.

Their answer invariably comes back as "that is different!"

And I tell them "no it is not! And if you are not intelligent enough to see the similarity here, don't bother asking question!"

Posts: 67005 | Location: Dubai, UAE | Registered: 08 January 1998Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of NitroX
posted Hide Post
I haven't shot leopard, lion or elephant but hopefully will.

Personally I don't hunt for the wall, though do take the trophies, I hunt for hunting so I can see no reason to stop at one if the budget permits.

I have hunted leopard by chance and I do believe there is a strange connection. When hunting eland I once got the feeling, there's a leopard around. 30 seconds later the tracker finds fairly fresh leopard tracks. The PH asked "Do you want a leopard?" I say "How much?" and then "Sure." We followed the tracks but in the rocks nothing came of it.

Another two times hunting hartebeest or just scouting I had the same feeling and again leopard tracks and a kill respectively were found.

I will admit to twice having the feeling and nothing being found but 3 out of 5 aint bad.

Oneday .....

Posts: 10138 | Location: Wine Country, Barossa Valley, Australia | Registered: 06 March 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Will
posted Hide Post
NitroX,

Why don't you start a new post here as you did at your forum? There were/are a lot of folks that appear to have the "sense" of lurking danger.

Will

one of us
Picture of cchunter
posted Hide Post
NitroX

You must realize the facts and trust yourself. The two times were nothing was found was just because of bad tracker work [Big Grin]

Posts: 2121 | Location: Sweden | Registered: 08 May 2002Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
Will,

With regards hunting leopards over bait, how would you feel if you were more "involved" in the preparation, figuring out a plan, selecting the bait and the setting it up ect not just sitting in the blind? I mean suppose you had the time and the PH simply said to you: "its all down to you...I am just here to keep you legal and make sure stay out of trouble..."

Do you think that would make you feel different about it? Make it more interesting/challenging?

Regards,

Pete

Posts: 5684 | Location: North Wales UK | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of MacD37
posted Hide Post
Anyone who has baited any wild animal, knows the "SURE THING" concept does not apply! The baiting of predators like lion and leopard is not a simple thing, far from it. Those who find baiting to be unethicle are simply wrong, no other way to say it! I submit these folks simply don't have the fortatude to do this type of hunting, and are unwilling to admit it! 300, to 500lb lions cruseing around your ground blind in the dark, with nothing but a wall of grass between you, and them, is not for the faint of heart! Try it then talk, is my advice!
[Wink]

Posts: 14634 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: 08 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of HunterJim
posted Hide Post
I finally shot a leopard last year in Zimbabwe, that was my third leopard hunt. I figured after killing that cat that I would just close the leopard chapter in my hunting book. Now I am not so sure.

I was hunting with Gordan Duncan of Shangaan Hunters, and Gordon considers the hunt for leopard to be a chess match. There is a lot of strategy behind the shot over bait from a blind or hide. Perhaps it is more like hunting whitetail deer from a treestand in the US: the hunting strategy of getting the stand in the right place and you in it at the right time are very similar to what is involved with leopard.

Hunting predators with dogs is a tremendous issue in Southern Africa. Many there consider it unsporting to chase after Mr. Spots with dogs. I understand it is illegal to do so in all South African provinces. Having hunted pigs with dogs, I can see the sport in it. Talking to Wade Lemon about his experiences with his dogs and leopard last month was very interesting. (We had Wade do a program for our SCI CHapter).

Now if chasing them with dogs is unsporting, how can tracking them with a Bushman be sporting? [Wink] Someone else is doing the hunting, and you are doing the shooting. It is easy to confuse hunting ethics with aesthetics (how we do it).

I would like to try both methods.

jim dodd

[ 05-27-2003, 22:56: Message edited by: HunterJim ]

Posts: 4166 | Location: San Diego, CA USA | Registered: 14 November 2001Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
I'm guessing on this but was it not Peter Bronkhorst (Sp) who had the terrific success with his leopard dog team in South Africa?? We used to see the ads for it regularly up until a few years ago. I'd like to try all the legal methods before I punch out. Lion, I simply can not afford but that's O.K. Mr. Buffalo is all I really need. [Big Grin]

Posts: 11017 | Registered: 14 December 2000Reply With Quote