Notify
Tools

ZIM-Hyenas wreak havoc in Mvuma
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Hyenas wreak havoc in Mvuma

Midlands Reporter January 23, 2008

Villagers in Mvuma are losing their cattle, especially calves, to hyenas, which have reportedly invaded their area, it has been learnt.

In separate interviews, villagers said the hyenas were targeting their beasts while out in the pastures.
They said the most affected places were the new resettlement areas of New England Farm, Mapiravana and Siyahokwe.
“We are really having a torrid time and we are now appealing to the responsible authorities to take action before the situation gets worse,†said one of the villagers, Mr Mark Mabura.
Mr Mabura said he lost two calves and a beast to the hyenas last week.
“Carcasses of our animals can be seen all over the area. Every villager has been living in fear ever since the beasts unleashed a reign of terror in our area,†he said.
Another villager from Siyahokwe area, Mr Bright Dengu, said he also lost two calves to the predators on the same day last week.
“I now follow my animals wherever they will be grazing on a daily basis. This is beginning to paralyse my farming activities,†he said.
The Member of the House of Assembly for the area, Dr Edwin Muguti, promised to contact officials from the Zimbabwe Parks and Wildlife Management Authority to deal with the problem.
He said the problem could derail the nation’s goals of turning the agricultural season into the Mother of All Agricultural Seasons, if it continued unsolved.
“I will contact the concerned authorities urgently. I know how it is like to lose a beast, as I have been a victim as well,†he said.

Kathi

kathi@wildtravel.net
708-425-3552

"The world is a book, and those who do not travel read only one page."

Posts: 9484 | Location: Chicago | Registered: 23 July 2003Reply With Quote