THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM AFRICAN HUNTING FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Hunting  Hop To Forums  African Big Game Hunting    How's this .458 Lott for a DG rifle?

Moderators: Saeed
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

How's this .458 Lott for a DG rifle?
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of JudgeG
posted
I ran across this auction for a .458 Lott. I've put in a bid, but don't hesitate if you want it more. It looks like a sturdy, no nonsense rifle. I wonder if it's still cock on closing though? That would be one thing to change.

http://www.auctionarms.com/Search/DisplayItem.cfm?ItemNum=4048725

[ 03-13-2003, 18:32: Message edited by: JudgeG ]

Posts: 7545 | Location: GA | Registered: 27 February 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of TXPO
posted Hide Post
How are we supposed to outbid you if you don't give us the auction addy???? [Roll Eyes]

Posts: 700 | Location: Wallis, Texas | Registered: 14 October 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of JudgeG
posted Hide Post
I fixed it. I got a phone call during the typing of the original message. Oh, how work can complicate fooling around on the computer. [Smile]

one of us
Picture of Nitro Express
posted Hide Post
Looks exactly like the Lott I got in a trade with a guy in Alaska.

Was out shooting mine yesterday, working up loads. I like the rifle but the feeding system needs work. Also, the safety is a bugger on that model, but an Enfield guru showed me how to fix it so it's now a non-problem.

Would guess than unless stated otherwise, it's a cock-on-closing action. Doesn't bother me.

Where'd you disappear to? You don't call, you don't write . . .

Posts: 1546 | Location: Native Texan Now In Jacksonville, Florida, USA | Registered: 10 July 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
This proves my point that one cannot make a silk purse out of a sows ear....however you could toss the stock, rebarrel it to 505 Gibbs, restock it, do a lot of metal work, spend a fortune on it and have a really nice gun....OR spend another $500 to $100 and get a 85% M-70 pre 64 in 458...

Or get a good Interarms Whitworth for $500..now thats the way I'd go...

Posts: 41850 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of JudgeG
posted Hide Post
Ray:
You know me well enough to know that practicallity has no meaning to me. I've already had a $500 Whitworth in .458 (and in .375, too... traded it for a round trip Business ticket to Dar es Salaam!). I already have a wood-stocked Enfield in .458. I already have a CZ in .375. I already have a .416 WSM. I already have a .404 Jeffery. I already have a .458 Mauser on a 1909 Argentine. I've already had a .450 N.E. and a .450/.400 N.E. 3 1/4" double, in ad nausem.

Hell, I am a sow's ear.

I just like new stuff that goes "boom".

[ 03-13-2003, 20:39: Message edited by: JudgeG ]

one of us
posted Hide Post
Very nice. I like the jungle carbine look of the rear peep. It looks hell for stout and the teflon coating gives it a different look. Let me know how you like the recoil reduction in the fiberglass stock. I added mercury reduction in a wood stock but was concerned that the movement migh crack the synthetics.
Frank

Posts: 6935 | Location: hydesville, ca. , USA | Registered: 17 March 2001Reply With Quote
Picture of jeffeosso
posted Hide Post
YIKES!!!
Look at the forearm handweb cuttter, also known as a sling stud on the forearm!!!

500 would be a great price for it, Judge...

I posted in gumsmiffin about a mod70 safety and cock on open, for $220...

If i didn't have all the parts for a 458 winni on a mexican sitting 8' behind me, I would think really hard... but i would have to replace the stock (too short)
jeffe

Posts: 38480 | Location: Conroe, TX | Registered: 01 June 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Ern,
It's just that I have come to expect so much more from you, but if you want it OK, just respect it in the morning!! [Big Grin]

Posts: 41850 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
JudgeG,

I'm going to make you drool in a couple of months with pics of my Lott, similar but stocked in walnut, with quarter rib and other goodies.

That looks like a nice rifle, and just about what I am planning for Enfield P-14 #2, except in 416 Rigby (and probably parkerized).

Good luck bidding, and I hope you get it.

Todd

Posts: 1248 | Location: North Carolina | Registered: 14 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
There is some risk in buying a rifle based on an action that has been opened because it might not feed properly. It's less risky if you can see it in person and cycle some rounds through before writing the check...

Posts: 18352 | Location: Salt Lake City, Utah USA | Registered: 20 April 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Why would anyone waste a good Enfield on a 458 Lott when you have an action that will easily handle a bigg'un....like a 505 Gibbs!! Now thats a gun for he-men!!!