New
Find
Notify
Tools

Scoring Hippos
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
I saw a photo of a bull hippo trophy on a web site. The caption said it scored 27 inches. How are Hippos scored for SCI and/or Rowland Ward?

Indy

Life is short. Hunt hard.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Indy.

Go to SCI site. On right side is Record book,then to measuring program,then SCI measuring forms and finally meth #12. There is the score sheet.

Elton Rambin
Mail/Ship: 1802 Horse Hollow Rd.
Barksdale, Texas 78828
Phone: 479 461 3656
Ranch: 830-234-4366
Check our Hunt & Class Schedule
at
www.ftwoutfitters.com

4 Rules of Gun Safety
1/ Treat all guns as though they are loaded.
2/ Never point the muzzle at anything you do not want to shoot.
3/ Do not put your finger on trigger until your sights are on target and you are ready to shoot.
4/ Be sure of your target and safe background.

Posts: 268 | Location: Western Arkansas/Barksdale,TX. USA | Registered: 18 February 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of BigB
posted Hide Post
Indy,

When they say 27 inches they are referring to length of lower tusk. They are the longest tusk on a hippo with as I recall about 2/3 inside the jaw.

27 inches would be a good one.

BigB

Posts: 1401 | Location: Northwest Wyoming | Registered: 13 March 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Sevenxbjt
posted Hide Post
I was at the Cabelas in Reno today, and they have a full body hippo in their african display with an interesting lower tusk. It's left tusk had grown exceptionally long and pierced through the skin and would stick out the top of its head about 2-4" I would guess with it's mouth closed. Maybe some of the other guys here have seen this fella too.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I've never really understood the obsessive desire to measure trophies. There's so much more to a hunt ...

analog_peninsula
-----------------------

It takes character to withstand the rigors of indolence.

Posts: 1580 | Location: Dallas, Tx | Registered: 02 June 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Sevenxbjt
posted Hide Post
I agree that their are too many guys that are crazy for the tape measure. That said I don't see the problem with, in the course of an ethical hunt you take an exceptional animal, finding it's score and if it interests you entering it. I've never "trophy" hunted, but I have certainly measured good animals when I have been fortunate enough to get one.
As far as the hippo goes, the R&W website has the minnimums for hippo.

one of us
posted Hide Post
I don't think I'd want to enter it, just measure it.

Does anyone have any good ideas how to get the teeth out of the skull? The two long ones were apparently taken out but put back in and now they're stuck. Hit 'em with a rubber hammer?

Indy

Life is short. Hunt hard.

One of Us
Picture of Use Enough Gun
posted Hide Post
Yes, I've seen the Reno Cabela's hippo. Very interesting!

Administrator
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by analog_peninsula:
I've never really understood the obsessive desire to measure trophies. There's so much more to a hunt ...

If we all followed this, where would SCI and their "inner circles" be clap rotflmo

www.accuratereloading.com
Instagram : ganyana2000

Posts: 67049 | Location: Dubai, UAE | Registered: 08 January 1998Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Scoring Hippos? I happen to have extensive, first hand experience with this subject from my university days and later while serving with the Marines. Just add alcohol........

114-R10David

Posts: 1749 | Location: Prescott, Az | Registered: 30 January 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by TWL:
Scoring Hippos? I happen to have extensive, first hand experience with this subject from my university days and later while serving with the Marines. Just add alcohol........

Scoring Hippos.

Not scoring WITH Hippos. I HAVE heard Marines commonly participate in the latter. Wink

Mink and Wall Tents don't go together. Especially when you are sleeping in the Wall Tent.
DRSS .470 & .500

Posts: 1051 | Location: The Land of Lutefisk | Registered: 23 November 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Palmer
posted Hide Post
How the hippo is hunted is more important than the length of its teeth.

ALLEN W. JOHNSON - DRSS

Into my heart on air that kills
From yon far country blows:
What are those blue remembered hills,
What spires, what farms are those?
That is the land of lost content,
I see it shining plain,
The happy highways where I went
And cannot come again.

A. E. Housman

Posts: 2251 | Location: Mo, USA | Registered: 21 April 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by TWL:

TWL you will be pleased to know that the current crop of marines guarding the Embassy here in Dar es Salaam are often seen at late night spots in the city carrying on this proud tradition - Semper Fi

Posts: 280 | Location: Tanzania | Registered: 11 March 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
As it should be!!!!

114-R10David

Posts: 1749 | Location: Prescott, Az | Registered: 30 January 2007Reply With Quote